RSL 2020 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 29, 2020.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on how we watch this tourney? Any watch parties planned?

2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got rid of the evil chains to Xfinity this year, so my fingers are crossed that I can find it through YouTube TV or that KSL app or something. I can't imagine there will be too many watch parties during the pandemic. [emoji2368]

jessyca, PumaJohnny and Ismitje repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just ditched Spectrum in favor of YouTubeTV, but we also have ESPN+. Hopefully that does the trick. We're pretty happy to be able to share our YouTubeTV account with our daughters and even my parents, openly since it's part of the deal, for the same flat fee of $50 a month.

PumaJohnny and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have some package deal with Disney+ and Hulu... Is that the one with ESPN+? If so, me too. [emoji16]

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the one. I don't have the deal yet, but probably should - my wife wants Hulu. But we receive Disney+ free for a year from Verizon, so it would increase our costs for another six months or so.

Last year, all non-nationally broadcast MLS games were on ESPN+ as were all USL and NWSL games. It was a fantastic deal at $4.99 a month.

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Sounds like a combination of ESPN, Fox Sports, and Univision. Not sure how much, if any, will also be on ESPN+. No local TV parternships is my understanding.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very seriously doubt we'll be having any watch parties. Maybe virtual, but not in person.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been on the Youtube TV train for awhile as well. It's nice being able to have multiple accounts to share.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jessyca repped this.
  10. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Important RSL related baby updates:

1) Tony's wife had a baby last week
    2) Damir's s/o delivered last night
    3) Luke's wife was at hospital for delivery today

<<<this counts as RSL news in these troubled times>>>

pcny, rslfanboy, BalanceUT and 5 others repped this.
  11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the future of the academy looks bright?

BalanceUT, the cup, jessyca and 2 others repped this.
  12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how many more of these news bits we will see in December and January of this coming year?

BalanceUT, RSLer and PumaJohnny repped this.
  13. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Here is RSL's 2020 roster composition: https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2020/real-salt-lake

Interstingly we have 8 international spots and Ashtone Morgan (signed in the off-season) is not on the active roster. We must have made a trade for an international spot but I don't remember hearing about it.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I thought at one point Damir was close to a green card. I do know this page isn't always as accurate as you'd expect from a league site. Morgan was on that Spence Checketts show yesterday. Didn't he have an injury at start of season? I can't remember, and can't find any trace of it on the interwebs.

15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Tourney thing schedule is out:

July 12, Colorado, 8:30 PM, ESPN, ESPN app
    July 17, Minnesota, 8:30 PM, ESPN, ESPN app
    July 22, SKC, 7:00 AM, ESPN, ESPN app

Lizzie Bee and RSLer repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so much for that 9am ET window being reserved for East Coast teams

pcny repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the league site, the latest a team can report to Orlando is 7 days ahead of their first scheduled game. This is to allow for the required health and safety procedures/testing required. I bring this up because the first game of this thing is scheduled for July 8th. For RSL it is July 12th.

Given the schedule, here is the deadline for teams to arrive:
    July 1: ORL, INTM, NAS, CHI
    July 2: NYC, PHI, MNT, NE, FCD, VAN
    July 3: TFC, DCU, SEA, SJ
    July 4: ATL, NYRB, FCC, CLB
    July 5: SKC, MIN, RSL, Crp
    July 6: LAFC, HOU, LAG, POR

I bring this up because the league has been incredibly secretive about rosters and such for this thing. Not to mention next to zero mention of the spike in cases in the Orlando area. I can't seem to find anything about what players for RSL will be attending. There is a lot of speculation about what players will be comfortable leaving their family for a minimum of 3 weeks. And that goes without the very real concern of mandatory 2 week quarantines upon flying back from Orlando. For some of these clubs, that is already the case. For others, it isn't far fetched to say it is coming.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There've been several tweets sent out from Goff and other journalists regarding testing in Orlando. If a player tests positive they are sent to a quarantine area (can we call it the Tournament Sin Bin?) for 14 days. The player is unable to rejoin practices or games until the time period has lapsed or the player has been cleared by medical personnel. I can see the chess game being played here as either get in early so you have time to sit players in the sin bin, or wait as long as possible to arrive due to the spike in Orlando. I'm not sure which option is better seeing how Utah is spiking as well.

On a positive note, at least teams are allowed to charter the flight to Orlando. Airlines are no longer requiring social distancing measures and are booking flights so they are full. My wife flew to Phoenix over the weekend (I know, my family is screwed and she'll be coming back sick) to help her mom recover from hip replacement surgery, and the flight went from partial booking and 100% mask requirement when we booked to full flight and masks are optional at the time of check-in. She said the flight was maybe 25% compliant with masks.

19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Anybody else hearing anything about an Argentine left back, Jonathon Bay, to RSL? Only seen whispers so far and they've been in Spanish so I might have those whispers 100% wrong.

20. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I haven't heard anything but it's possible. We don't exactly have the roster space or international spots for it though. With that being said, I think left back is our weakest position right now and we'd benefit a great deal from an upgrade.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on coverage that I read of the first group of teams to arrive in Orlando, the teams themselves might not know right up until a day or two prior to departure which players are skipping this.

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Transfermarkt:
    Current value: $440,000
    Contract: ends 6/30/2020 (today)
    Transfer fees: his last 3 transfers have been free
    Transfers: he’s been transferred each of the last 4 seasons.

23. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Maybe a Monarchs player? Assuming Monarchs are still even a thing?

I've stumbled across signings in the past that say RSL but are really Monarchs.

Profile here doesn't really seem like first team.

24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and PumaJohnny repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle writing about each team's #9 as the tournament approaches, says this about RSL:

"RSL have a DP center forward, a veteran forward who's done it at the highest levels in Europe, a former Rookie of the Year false 9, and multiple kids that they've brought up through the ranks of their USL team.

It's Kreilach who started the first two games of the season at center forward, and it's Kreilach who's started more games at center forward than anyone else for RSL over the past two years. The big 31-year-old Croatian is a No. 8 by trade, but first Mike Petke and then Freddy Juarez have decided the team needs him more as a target man. It's kind of wild.

What's even wilder is that Kreilach's mostly been very good at it! He scored 12 goals (not all of them while he was playing center forward, though most of them were) in 2018 and another six in 2019, and headed home RSL's only goal in two outings this year.

Other Options: Sam Johnson is their DP center forward, a pure scorer who put up good per-90 numbers, but seemed to kill the team's flow. Giuseppe Rossi's the Euro veteran, and while Rossi was a talent, he's 33 and hasn't seriously played soccer for years. Plus he was never really a No. 9.

Corey Baird wasn't really a No. 9 either, and is more needed on the wings now, so I'm ruling him out of this particular depth chart. Meanwhile I'm ruling in Douglas Martinez, a 23-year-old Honduran international who was excellent in leading Real Monarchs to the USL title last season.

It feels like almost anything is in play here."

pcny, rslfanboy, RSLer and 3 others repped this.