RSL 2020 Game 1: Salt Lake at Orlando, Saturday February 29, 4:00 MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 24, 2020.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first 15 of the 2020 season:
    1. When the lineup was announced, I did a double take. I thought the Herrera thing was an experiment for preseason, not something to actually roll out in a game.
    2. Why is it so acceptable for this team to have as many injuries as it has already? These guys, for the most part, didn't come into preseason with these knocks. They were obtained in our (very limited) preseason. Injuries happen, I get that, but the volume of this speaks to a bigger issue within the clubs training staff. That, or the offseason workout plans that were sent to the players didn't properly prepare them for the ask of preseason.
    3. The first 10 minutes of this one were like watching a u10 team try to take on a u18 team. My word were we outplayed. I have no idea how we didn't get scored on. Actually, scratch that, I do. Orlando's forwards suuuuuck. Akindele in particular had a few chances that I've seen put away by 8 year olds.
    4. Portillo and Besler as a center mid duo was painful as hell in the first half - and quite the sign of just how bad things are with this team/club. Our starters at a vital position are two USL level players. We were dominated for the entire 90 in that part of the pitch. Besler and Portillo are not this level and are at an age that I don't feel like there is significant room to grow.
    5. I will boo Damir Kreilach this year if he keeps up this diving nonsense. Dude is far too big to go down this easily. With Bofo you could at least convince yourself, from time to time, that he was just getting pushed around because of his size. Dami? Dude is just being a wuss and the diving/embellishing has to stop.
    6. McMath in goal was really really really weird. I have no complaints about his performance - in fact there is a strong argument to be made for him as MOTM. But this taller white dude in goal for RSL that wears the number 18? It was just... weird. Still, good match from him.
    7. A part of McMath's game we really need to look to use more is his ability to just smash a soccer ball. He is not as accurate as Nicky, or as skilled with the ball at his feet, but he can put the ball into the final third himself without it bouncing. If our midfield is going to be as bad as it was in this game, might as well just skip them from the go.
    8. Did you guys know Rusnak played the full 90 in this game? The only times I remembered he was on the pitch was when he had an awful touch or turned the ball over. Otherwise, he was a ghost.
    9. Freddy must have read all the RSL fan feedback on subbing because subs actually made sense and had, for the most part, time to impact the game. I was especially impressed with taking off Glad so early. That was smart coaching. Kudos on that.
    10. The hatred for Meram in Orlando is insane. I've tried to understand that story more and more and still can't quite figure it out. And he looked rattled from it. Dunny was saying Meram was going to enjoy being the villain - I didn't see it. I saw a guy who was nervous on the ball and let the boo's and four letter words get in his head.
    11. Rossi looks out of shape. Skill is there, sure, but right now he looks like a former pro playing in the mens league at RSL 's ZBRA. Too slow in decisions and no pace beyond 5 yards. Hopefully this improves because the talent is obviously there. Still, I am very doubtful he returns to fitness before another injury with his history.
    12. The stats in this one are... ugly. Especially for Orlando, who had the better team but did really nothing with it. In fact, some really interesting high level stuff before I do my post on stats in depth: RSL only completed 3 less passes, had 24 less touches, and four less shots. With how dominating Orlando was for a long portion of this game, those numbers seemed way too close together.
    13. From an individual stat performance perspective, Toia had a decent enough game according o the site. I guess that is what happens when the other team attacks down your wing constantly and you don't get scored on.
    14. All in all, if you offered this to me before the game, I would have taken it. We were the only game over the weekend to end 0-0 and nothing about preseason hinted to that being the case. Orlando should be pissed for dropping 2 points they deserved. RSL should be pissed for not hitting them on the counter to steal the full 3 like was there in the end of the second half.
    15. Nothing from this game can really be taken into the NYRB game. If we play that negative at home I'll boo and leave. On the road, with the injuries, it made sense. But the gameplan to open the season this Saturday has to be much much different

stucknutah, rslfanboy, RSLer and 5 others repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Doyle's analysis of the game from MLSSoccer.com (analysis on the full slate of games here)::

Orlando City looked like a team without two DP attackers and RSL looked like a team without two DP attackers and that’s how you get yourself a scoreless draw.

RSL generated only five shots. Four of them came from 25 yards out or more. They are a work in progress, but at least Freddy Juarez scrapped the Justen Glad-at-right-back experiment at halftime. Glad's a good player, and in my opinion should be starting at CB, but he's definitely not a RB. And Aaron Herrera's definitely not a winger.

If you need to bench a guy, bench him. Don't ruin the team shape by forcing two to play out of position

3. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I wouldn't say Freddy "scrapped" the experiment. Glad was sitting on a yellow and a few warnings and I'm wondering if that played into the decision at all.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Well, that was a game.

Definitely a stolen point if you ask me. Orlando should have punished RSL on multiple occasions. On the other side RSL wasn't dangerous at all until Rossi and Meram came in game.

Baird not so much. Yes Rusnak should have put him through but if you ask me, and I assume that you are going to, Baird thinks he's much better than he actually is and rubs the other players like Albert the wrong way.

For me Baird is the kind of player you buy for what he's worth and sell for what he thinks he's worth and you'd be a millionaire several times over.

Here's to hoping that Rossi doesn't get injured because he is the most talented player on the team from the looks of it to me.

Congrats to Freddy for making subs way before the 80th minute. All of the subs. I still have zero hope or belief that he is the coach this club needs. He's for sure the one that they deserve at the moment.

I thought Zach played well and could be a pretty solid keeper back there that could instill some confidence in the players in front of him.

I did watch a bunch of soccer this weekend. The Xfinity guys came around a couple weeks back and found out we could get cable for less than what we were paying over the last few years. Now I talk to all of my remotes.

There are some good teams out there. LAFC looks like they haven't missed a beat, Atlanta could be in a spot of bother losing Martinez for the season but they continue to look dangerous, Seattle looks good, Chicago looks like they could have something with their overhaul. Miami looks like they could have something and Nashville maybe not so much but probably better than Cincinnati though.

I know it's early and you never know but to me it looks like there is distinct possibility that RSL could be falling a little behind the curve especially if your only real goal is to make the playoffs. That's not the way to stay relevant. That's the way you end up killing a team and fan base. RSL should be fighting to be in the CCL every season, winning the Open Cup, etc. etc. etc. Instead we get what looks to be the bare minimum from the FO which could be the best they can actually do though. Time will tell.

I'm certainly RSLTID but please don't make it death by a thousand poorly signed and uninspired cuts.

I could be way wrong but over the seasons since 2013 is there any evidence to the contrary?

Last season everything went RSL's way down the stretch and they ended up finishing better than they deserved and should have even finished higher if memory serves. I don't see that happening again.

Man I hope they prove me wrong.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game looked like RSL started 5 defenders....oh wait we did, and as many have observed RSL were lucky not to get scored on.

The fight was there - that's positive. There was even a brief period during the final twenty minutes, where RSL were almost dangerous, but the final pass wasn't there (opinion - I do think we missed a chance to pass to baird on the left side of the box late).

Rossi is obviously out of shape, and more than that, he's used to playing much faster than the team plays now, which was strange to see. Meram flopped a lot, I think that's why Orlando was on his ass. But he is a nagging gnat type of player.

Have tickets to the home opener...I guess we'll see if possession improves, but right now it looks like bunker and counter...which, like the Milwaukee Bucks star, is kinda yawn-ish.

jessyca repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It had everything to do with it. I think Glad would have played all 90 if not for the imminent red card.

7. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for the Antetokounmpo reference.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Freddy is wanting to get Glad and Herrera good minutes before they leave after the RBNY game. Combined with the injuries, Herrera has to play on the wing. Silva and Nedum need the minutes together while Glad is gone. I would rather see Ruiz over Portillo. I think Chang would be better than Schmidt. Still need a healthy forward so we can see Everton and Damir in the midfield.
    What we see next week won't be the lineup while Glad, Herrera and Ochoa are gone. And the lineup will change again when they get back. It'll be a couple months before everyone is back/healthy and then Freddy will have lots of options. I'm reserving some judgment until then

rslfanboy repped this.
  9. RSL Wonderbra

RSL Wonderbra Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Me and the boys went to the game. It was a cool atmosphere. Near capacity. Not as vibrant as the Timbers stadium though.

Their TIFO was hilarious. It had the wolf of wall street guy with a sign below saying "5 seasons, 2 owners, 5 coaches, 77 home losses... AND WE'RE STILL F'ING HERE". Basically, our team sucks but we still support.

Watching live you get a different feel for the game. Last season I never saw an identity with the team. Ever. I would say that in spite of the lineup mix and match we clearly came with an identity... STIFLING DEFENSE. Sure, Toia / Schmitt sucked and they passed behind us 8 times in the first 15 minutes BUT... as the game progressed ORL looked visibly flustered with how quickly we shut down their attacks. We tackled with bite. The tackles were timely and clean for the most part. Silva looked like a total chotch to play against and Orlando looked bugged.

By my count we had 8 defenders on the pitch. Toia, Onuoha, Silva, Glad, Herrera, Besler, Portillo, and MacMath. None of them were attacking options other than Herrera on occasion. That left Schmitt, Rusnak, and Kreilach to counter. Clearly they weren't up for it. But they had no service from the midfield. None!

My biggest take away is how stingy we can be if we want. Take away the first 15 minutes and ORL barely had any chances. It looks like freddy is trying to establish our identity from the back before working on the attack. Plus, our best players are defensive minded so it probably makes sense.

My next biggest take away is that we CLEARLY need a midfielder who relieves pressure and let's us get up the field. Portillo is not that. Most of his passes were backwards. Without that mid, we are a Defend and counter team.

Strange tidbit... Baird looked pissed going into the locker room. It was as if he was upset at how we were happy to take a point on the road. Perhaps he didn't notice we were RSL fans but he tricked on by.

Finally, our fan base DID NOT represent in Orlando. We suck at travelling.

Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a nice review! Did you like the stadium?

I’m not totally surprised at the lack of RSL fans at the game. Orlando is probably the 2nd longest trip for us. I doubt we have many supporters living in that area. On the flip side, this time of year is perfect for combining a RSL road trip with a day or two at the large theme parks.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    flights to Orlando are reasonable, but long as hell. I've never really thought to go there for a road game. Even with the possible combination that RSLer proposes

RSLer repped this.