Royston Drenthe

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by richsavare, Jul 14, 2007.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was just reading that Real Madrid want him to play left back filling the void of Roberto Carlos who moved to Turkey, but it seems Drenthe does not want to play in this position so perhaps this is a major stumbling block.

I also heard that he would want to stay at Feyenoord 1 more year anyway which he will certainly need.

I hope he stays and plays in that "Davids" role as there is too much pressure and competition at Real for a young player at this moment, although I believe he would succeed if given the chance.

Any thoughts or information on this?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Real Madrid just signed Marcelo to eventually replace Carlos and their interest in Heinze was to enable them to loan Marcelo out to another La Liga side for experience. They are already stacked in central midfield and on the left-wing so unless several players left there is no room for him there either. I do not see how Drenthe fits into Real Madrid at this stage, despite their reported interest. I suppose if Marcelo leaves on loan, they sign Heinze and someone like Emerson leaves then Drenthe could be back-up to Heinze/Diarra and rotate in those positions but that is it.

3. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh thank god, moving to Madrid would be a bad move for him. At least now anyways.

Madrid are always in heavy pursuit of Robben on the left.

Royston should stay with Feyenoord at least one or two more seasons. He's still got a lot to learn, especially with so many experienced players brought to the club during the summer.

4. There are 4 new reasons for Royston to stay at Feyenoord for another 1,5 year and one old one.
    (1)Hofland and (2)de Cler can teach him from their experience how to position himself when they got the ball in the defense, (3) van Bronckhorst can teach him from his vast and high quality international experience what to do in the midfield and how the defense of Feyenoord is going to act when he is in possesion of the ball and (4) Makaay can teach him from his international top scorer experience when to do what with the ball to get the target man in scoring position.
    In Dutch clubs these old hands have the time and the willingness and eagerness to coach young promising players, as in clubs like Real and Chelsea the top players are too occupied to keep themselves in the first team to mind a youngster, so he willnot get better as fast as he can with Feyenoord.
    Adding to that the expectation that he's going to be on the selection list of van Basten and expecting him to do well in the Orange team his value in earnings can in that period of time double Real is offering him at the moment.

5. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    From lousy players like De Cler and Hofland you wont learn a thing.

If I was Feyenoord I would sell him

6. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wish these guys would get a haircut!!

Drenthe, Davids and Emannuelson all look ridiculous with that long hair

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way amsteldam!

8. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If I wanna see dreadlocks I'll rent that Predator movie :p :eek:

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, due to the large West Indian population in South Florida, I really like dreads.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Apparently Schuster has put Marcelo on the list of available players, which would open up the left-back spot for Drenthe. He has also been linked with Barcelona and supposedly prefers a move there. The deal would involve him being immediately loaned back for a year. It needs to be that way as his chances of playing at Barcelona are worse than his chances at Real Madrid.

11. FloridaSoccerCoach

FloridaSoccerCoach New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    There's still talk about Chelsea buying him and leaving him with Feyenoord for another year on loan. He needs to play; he wont get better from sitting on the bench. At Feyenoord he is almost to guaranteed to always play.

12. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006
    With the guys they have left after Marcelo left he will play anyhow

It doesn´t make sense to sell Marcelo, then buy Drenthe and then loan him again.

It would only makes a little bit of sense if Madrid wants an non EU player

13. That would be the stupidist thing to do by Drenthe, because then he would be tied up on a contract with a fixed pay and then he gets better at Feyenoord and doesnot get the pay for that because he already has signed. Read my post on that. This would not benefit Royston, only the club that signed him. If his agent has any brains between his ears he should laugh away any suggestion like this and consider his negotiation opponent as a fraud that tries to con him and Drenthe out of a smack of money. Boy, are there stupid people running free on this planet that fall for this thing.

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Real Madrid were not going to loan him back.

15. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Besides the obvious esthetics, surely those long dreadlocks must slow a player down somewhat.

The aerodynamics arent too great if you ask me.

16. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    :D

Maybe something like this would help him

[​IMG]

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I just read that Robben is leaving California and headed to Spain to sign with Real Madrid, and Chelsea will sign Drenthe.

Good for Arjen, but Drenthe at Chelsea is not good news although Makelele is on his last legs, and that would be his best role.

Still the Blues have many midfielders so it will be tough for him there.

18. CyndiBop

CyndiBop New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Südtirol
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I prefer Drenthe to be played as left winger, and honestly if Robben leaves he can play easily as a regular in that role, no way Wright Philips or Kaloe can be an hindrance for him. But I prefer the new Regi Blinker:cool: to stay at Feyenoord, it would be a thougher competition this season...

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Did you forget about Essien? Drenthe would not play regularly in Chelsea's central midfield and he would struggle to even be on the bench.

Did you forget about Cole or Malouda? Drenthe would not play regularly on Chelsea's wing and would struggle to even be on the bench.

None of the above is a slight on Drenthe.

20. CoAdriaanse

CoAdriaanse New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    On A Moving Platform
    feyenoord announced that they'll only elt him go for a HUGE offer. so i think the only one he would be competing with next year is nuri sahin

21. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am fully aware of Essien, but he plays with Makelele many times in the same side. Therefore Drenthe could see action in that role, although like I said before there are many alternatives and options for the Chelsea midfield.

Bottom line is that the player would be best suited to stay at Feyenoord as he very young and lacking experience. He would not learn sitting on the bench.

22. If he were to be the new Regi Blinker, I would be the first to kick him out of Feyenoord, because Regi was one of the suckers who thought that by playing for Feyenoord he didnot have to work on his skills to improve them, so he was the same when he left as he came in with Feyenoord.
    Regi was one of the many crap players that didnot work like Kuyt to improve on their skills and as so didnot make Feyenoord better.

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    New Regi Blinker :confused:
    Gaston Taument might make a bit more sense. He wasn't a super star, but at least he earned a dozen of caps or so for the NT.

24. CyndiBop

CyndiBop New Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Südtirol
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not comparing their specific value, as players; they're just similar for the way they move on the left wing, but surely Drenthe is a more complete player than Regi was and he has a shiny future ahead.

Blinker was good anyway, you're kinda harsh with him. Maybe Glenn Van Straatum would have been a more suitable example.:D

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004