Rovers v. Spurs, 12/4 [R]

Discussion in 'Blackburn Rovers' started by blkbrnrvr, Dec 2, 2004.

1. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    So two sides coming off of wins in the league meet at Ewood for the late kickoff on Saturday. Spurs sit only three points ahead of Blackburn in the table, so a win could move Rovers into a more comfortable position in the middle of the pack. Bothroyd is back in the frame after his ban, but he might have to settle for a spot on the bench, given the recent form of Paul Gallagher. Otherwise, I doubt we'll see any changes from a side that is now unbeaten in five. Did I really just type "unbeaten in five"? Wow. :D

Obviously the threats of Keane, Defoe and Kanoute will give Rovers plenty to worry with, but something tells me Ewood will be a tough place for the Londoners to travel this weekend. Both defenses have had a penchant for leaking some goals this season, so a shootout is a possibility. However, I think the rearguard has plenty to hang their hat on after the performance at the Cottage, and I believe that newfound grit will carry on. I like our chances to get all of the points in this one. :)

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And its another televised game as well. Gotta like that.

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I'd like it even more if I didn't have to work tomorrow! Looks like I'll be listening in on the web. As my schedule stands now, I won't be able to watch a game until Newcastle on 12/26. Considering how I'll be watching that game, I really can't complain too much. :)

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm trying to cut out of work round 1145 to get to the pub in time to watch. we'll see what happens.

Word has it Kanoute may not make the trip for spurs since he and Jol are still going at it.

5. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Speaking of Rovers on TV, it seems like they've been on a good bit more than last year. I guess the new late kickoff times for SkySports are partly responsible for that.

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    team news.....

Rovers

1 Brad Friedel

2 Lucas Neill
    6 Craig Short
    24 Andy Todd
    14 Nils-Eric Johansson

18 Steven Reid
    16 Barry Ferguson
    8 Kerimoglu Tugay
    7 Brett Emerton

10 Paul Dickov
    19 Paul Gallagher

Subs
    13 Peter Enckelman
    22 Dominic Matteo
    5 Garry Flitcroft
    20 David Thompson
    27 Jay Bothroyd

Spurs

Paul Robinson 1

Stephen Kelly 34
    Ledley King 26
    Noureddine Naybet 2
    Timothee Atouba 24

Miguel Pedro Mendes 8
    Michael Brown 11
    Michael Carrick 23
    Reto Ziegler 16

Jermain Defoe 18
    Robbie Keane 10

Subs
    Marton Fulop 25
    Anthony Gardner 30
    Noe Pamarot 17
    Jamie Redknapp 15
    Frederic Kanoute 9

7. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    0-0, HT.

Spurs have had a couple of more chances than Rovers, but otherwise a fair scoreline midway through.

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    1-0 Spurs, full time.

Disappointing to look so flat in the attack for the first half after the form of the last few weeks, but I guess it can be said that you're bound to have games like this. Some chances were there in the second 45, but Robinson can be credited with some good work to keep the clean sheet. Even more disappointing is the fact that Rovers could have gotten a little bit farther away from the bottom three, but alas, they are still clear of that, if only by a point.

Defensively, we weren't bad. Friedel was only called into action on a couple of occasions, so the defense can take some pride in not giving up many clear cut chances.

So the trip down to Selhurst Park to take on Crystal Palace is up next. It has the makings to be quite the tough game, as most "six pointers" are.

9. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was a disappointing match. I knew spurs had a solid back-line and a pair of dangerous strikers. Their midfield is their weakness, but they worked hard, and no-one in our midfield had a good enough game to create good chances. Shame our undefeated streak had to come to an end at home like this. I thought Bothroyd was rubbish, and we need a better left-back. Where is Gray?

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was it...two years ago that Blackburn played DC United in a friendly? The defense looked suspect then, and doesn't seem to have improved.

Thanks, Souey :mad:

On the Spurs' goal, not only was the scorer unmarked coming in for the shot, but there was another man to his right who was also unmarked. One would have thought that ball watching would have been left behind as a tactic at this level.

Is it just me, or do others think that Johansson looks a bit lost on the ball sometimes?

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Bothroyd should have came on for Dickov if he was gonna come on. Hughes had to switch something up the attack was stagnant and Dickov was carrying the yellow. A very, very fruistrating game. Outside of Gallagher's chance at the start of the second half I never really felt like they were gonna score.

Also, I would like to see Thompson get more time, he's not afraid to take sghots from distance and just seems to open up the attack a bit more when he comes on.

All of the transfer window talk has been around defenders. If we are gonna stay up we need to score goals, and I am just not sure there are enough goals in this side at the moment.

Ugh...