Rovers Back line??

Discussion in 'Blackburn Rovers' started by eric515, Aug 6, 2002.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I have said, I am a late blooming Rovers fan, so I know relatively little about the team's overall performance in '01-'02. I know they started off rough, and looked to be heading back down until Andy Cole came aboard, and that they have alot of young talent in Dunn, Jansen, and Duff. What I really know little about is their back line. What can we expect back there this year, is that their achilles' heel?? If the back line is solid, then the Rovers look pretty tough IMO. Very few teams can boast at striking tandem that lead its team to a Treble, and scored over 50 goals, and you add to that 4 players who reached the 2nd round of the World Cup with their national side.

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Hakan Unsal and Stig Inge Bjornabye-Left backs
    Luc-Nils (aka Nissa) Johansson-Centre/left back
    Martin Taylor-Centre back
    Andy Todd-Centre back
    Henning Berg-Centre back
    Craig Short-Centre back
    David Curtis-Right back (wants to leave)
    Lucas Neill-Right back

The back line last season (left to right) was mainly:

B'bye/Unsal Berg Short Neill.

The problem is that there is a lack of pace from Short and Berg, as both are over 30. Taylor and Nissa are quicker, but their relative inexperience can make them a bit naive and fragile at times. They have the potential to be good players, but neither are considered very aggressive defenders. that cannot be said of Todd, but that's another story.

Another problem is the lack of a truely decent defensive midfielder, like a Keane, or a Viera. Dunn may develop into a more complete midfielder, but time will tell.

If the defence was better, the team may have built upon the good start, and not have dipped prior to the signing of Andy Cole. If the defence is sorted out, and Duff stays, we should be in the top 8 (or at least above Spurs).

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, with Unsal in the back (I thought he would be in the middle) , what will the midfield look like?? Obviously, Duff, Dunn, and Tugay...who is the 4th? Jansen?? Hignett?? Grabbi?? It's good to know, though, that a tough, WC tested player like Unsal will be on the back line.

4. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The midfield could be anything as we have a lot of players there. If Duff stays, it could be (L-R)

Duff Tugay Flitcroft/Dunn Dunn/Gillespie

If we sign Thompson from Coventry........

Duff Tugay Dunn Thompson

we still have Craig Higgnett, Alan Marhon and have a couple of young players in David Dunning or even the highly rated Neil Danns.