Round #2 Attendance Perdictions/Results

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Keep87, Nov 1, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    You would think, but obviously soccer is a tough draw. Hopefully one day MLS will figure out how to get people excited about this game. Thus far, they are a little off target.

2. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    12,000 seems kind of low. I know that the ends weren't filled, but the lower bowl holds 30,000. You'd have trouble convincing me that you could fill just under 3 times that amount of people in the lower bowl.

3. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Yeah I was there and if THAT was what 12k really looks like in Arrowhead then KC has exaggerated numbers more than any other team in MLS. For example, that was easily twice as many butts in seats as I saw at the 2-0 summertime loss to San Jose - and the crowd reported for that summer match was about 12k. In complete honesty, if tonights crowd was really 12k, then Arrowhead has NEVER sold anywhere close to 20k for a soccer game and the Wizards average is actually around 6k.

I left the game confident in at least 17k, based on comparison to 5 other Wizards games I made the trip for this season. Arrowhead's lower bowl holds 30k, both long sides were very crowded tonight - even with sparse crowds behind the nets that bowl had to be 60% full. And there were more fans than ive seen (except for LA, womens nats double header) in the club level seating - yeah I missed the Freddy game.

4. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The endzones get really full in the regular season because they have reduced ticket prices. In fact, we had 9000 when everyone but about 100 people were in one endzone for the Open Cup. Arrowhead is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

5. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    This got to be a typo, because it looked like a lot poeple from watching on FW tv. It looked like 20K easy.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    The number you see for attendance is simply tickets sold + tickets given away for promotion. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many people go to the games. During the regular season the people that have a ticket and don't show up has been estimated, in New Jersey anyway, at about 30-35%. All the tickets for last nights game were sold this past week. The people that bought them intended on going to the game. This time of year the attendance figures or a much more true number of people actually in the stands.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I had trouble believing it the first time, but once again I agree with crusio.

8. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S. sporting press has tried to give soccer a stigma.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, the written press has merely reinforced the stigma that professional soccer has given itself by repeated decades of high expectations and dismal failures. MLS is slowly turning that tide.

10. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I know attendance for other games was inflated by no-shows, and since I was estimating based on other games I've been to that could easily explain my overestimation. But WOW - if that's what 12k really looks like in Arrohead, then (as I said in the last post) they must really only average 5-7k per game. That kinda sucks because that means approximately half of KC's tickets normally go to no-shows.

Walk-ups would be included in the 12,000 estimate on mlsnet.com, correct?

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Did you even look at my post? All those people were concentrated in front of both main stands. There are easily 7,000 seats in each endzone. Concentrating people in a couple sections makes the stadium look more full. It's called the Spartan Stadium effect. You've just never seen a game at Arrowhead like that. I've been saying for a long time they need to close both endzones just for atmosphere.

12. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game, and I believe what you say.... and you are absolutely correct about giving the game much more atmosphere...

I dunno if I want to close down then end zones in the summer, because I would never want to sit on the sun side of the field in July and August..

I've changed jobs so I will be buying 2 season tickets next year to support the team...

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I see quite a few empty areas around La Norte at RFK. Hope they are just late arrivers.... But you can definately hear the DC supporters....

14. Bayern1986

Bayern1986 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Tonights attendance at RFK was 21,201. Nice crowd

15. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    21201 @ RFK (for what was a classic match)

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One mile backups to get into the stadium 30 minutes before kickoff. Plenty of late arrivals, but an awesome atmosphere.

17. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    And I would expect the everyone in that 21201 to be back for at least a game or two next year. Wish every big-crowd game turned out to be that great.

18. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    No, sorry, missed your post. And I certainly agree - closing the endzones helped the atmosphere a lot.

19. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    The numbers are nice, but they dont impress me. Whats impressing was the passion and support this team has from its fans. My seat was behind Brava Brava, but I never had a chance to use it. In fact, that whole side of the stadium was standing for the entire match, literally. The chanting, the singing, the oooohs and ahhhhhhs that filled the bowl for the entire match. This is soccer. Last night RFK showed MLS what this sport is supposed to be about. No, it wasn't England. It was not MLS either. It was just a great great experience. Even for a METRO fan.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The game was even showed in Nevada Smiths last night without much complaint......

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    It you didnt like watching this game, then you just dont like soccer.

22. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Too bad next season you won't get the same from RFK stadium with Baseball dirt smack in the middle of the pitch. So for those who were there in person I salute you.

23. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    A note on fans and soccer specific stadiums: Last nights game had the best atmosphere I have seen in any MLS venue. Bar none. This game was also played in a giant half empty football stadium. While building stadiums are ofcourse necessary, lets not forget what creates an electric atmosphere. Passionate hard core fans that love and follow their team. This is the future of this league, much more so than bricks and mortar. MLS, please take a look at last nights match. Garber was there, he saw it. WORK TO BUILD A FAN BASE LIKE THIS IN EVERY MLS CITY. Believe me, not a single fan in attendence last night cared that they were watching the game in an oversized 60,000+ seater. They were too busy cheering their team on to even notice.

24. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, RFK's capacity is more like 50K+ without stands behind the other goal.

25. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    just have to figure out a way to clone 11 more Freddy Adus ...

I appreciate your point. But it's not easy. Marketing is expensive and nearly sunk the league by 2001. It did sink the WUSA. We all agree MLS should work harder to improve attendance, but do we agree on how? What do you propose?

Not to say DC didn't have good attendance before Adu, but winning 3 of the first 4 MLS Cups isn't something every team can do.