rough Whitecaps expansion mock/starting 11

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 22, 2010.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

i agree with your statement about nolly-- he is 28 years old, but as most footballers tell you, goalies reach their prime years in their 30's, so the caps will be looking for some experienced goalie there and it wont be sutton IMO; i see wes knight as a starter-- quick, agressive and good work ethic; if the caps get jay de merit as central defender, then that would really help the defence; i still think the caps will go looking for 2 more DPs-midfield and especially at striker position where they need the most help-- they might even try 2 strikers as DPs

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting theory. I was under the impression that Vancouver would go with Arnoux (since he's been training with the team) or possibly Ampaipitakwong should he come out this year. Salgado is still restricted from registering in a country other than USA or Mexico, so it may be a while before he could actually make an appearance for Vancouver (assuming he's drafted, of course).

3. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Arnoux wasn't all that impressive while he was here. Not awful, but not sure I'd spend a first pick on him.

And I suspect there are ways to work out the Salgado issue, at a minimum, the Whitecaps could get clarification on it before they have to make a decision.

My gut says the DP priority is a forward rather than a midfielder.

4. Leo 8

Leo 8 New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    How does Vancouver get both Evans & Jaqua :confused:

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    overlooked on my part :eek:, replace Alan Gordon with Jaqua

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    And why would CUSA expose a player they just traded for and actually produced on offense?

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummmm. okay.....Christman, final offer

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Finally something we both can agree on!

9. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Will Houston protect Cam Weaver? He's not Jaqua or Gordon, but he's not bad and would be another target forward option.

And own(yewu)ed, I don't see Khalfan as somebody who regularly can start wide left. I'd still put him behind the inconsistent Blake Wagner at that spot, although others might disagree.

----
    One other point - Flip Rochat & Knight. Rochat played on the left at FC Zurich when he wasn't in the middle. Knight has played mostly on the right for Vancouver.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now that the exposed list is out, heres a final attempt at the mock and who you will take:

Kyle Davies
    Bobby Burling
    Nathan Sturgis
    Adam Christman
    Chance Myers
    Mike Magee
    Ned Grabavoy
    Austin Da Luz
    Alejandro Moreno
    John Thorrington

-----------------------Nolly----------------------

---------------Akloul---------Demerit-------------
    Rochat--------------------------------------Knight

-----------------------Sturgis---------------------
    Thorrington-----------Grabavoy--------------Da Luz

----------------Christman----Chiumiento------------

11. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested to hear what Caps fans think of my season-long speculation that Nkufo signed with Seattle with the understanding he could move on to Vancouver after the season?

His wife works and lives in the lower mainland and her family is there. And now the Sounders have left him exposed. Plus the Caps seem to have interest in Swiss players a lot right now.

It's a conspiracy theory, but one I think might have some legs.

12. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Throw out some info on Da Luz. What do you like about him?

And ya still need to flip Rochat & Knight.;)

13. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I'm kind of buying into this. It just seems like there's a whole lot of things that fall into place about it.

14. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Never underestimate the ability of Chivas USA to do the unthinkable.

15. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope they take Moreno! Leave Salinas for us!

16. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Logged 0 minutes in the league this year, was injured basically all season, and I think appeared in a single open cup game.

Was the 14th overall pick last year. Left midfielder.

I'd be surprised if he's the pick from NY. Sinisa Ubiparipovic is a far more known quantity (can play anywhere in midfield), and is dirt cheap (40K). He would probably play in 25 games or more for an expansion team, IMHO.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grabavoy is useless, you don't want him. Terrible in pressure moments... like the Conference championships and PKs. Just useless. ;)

18. JSCram3254

JSCram3254 Member

May 5, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although annoyed that you guys grabbed him, I hope Shea has a great career with you guys. He's a crazy hard worker and if he hadn't been sidelined with an injury there would have been many more beautiful goals from him. Treat him well or we're coming up there! ;)

19. BChaCha

BChaCha Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fisticuffs for Shea?

20. Lorax Jr.

Lorax Jr. Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Boyertown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on getting Shea! He'll work his ass off for you guys and he's a great guy. My brother and I got to know him pretty well (as well as fans really get to know players) and he was always super friendly with us.

I'm sure that he's disappointed to leave Philly, but I suspect that if he gets the chance to play more in Vancouver he will take that chance and make the best of it. I got the sense when talking to him that when he was healthy he wasn't exactly thrilled that he wasn't getting more time on the pitch. So while I'm very unhappy to see him to go this move might be the best for him.

Take good care of him for us!

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what was Portland thinking? Caps had much better draft.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Still think that after all the trades?

And for people who question the picks of Findley and Bornstein keep in mind that Portland gets to keep their rights indefinitely. That's not a bad way to "waste" a pick, as they have trade value and starting ability should they return (or stay) in MLS.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I still do. It only got worse after the draft. I think Portland got peanuts for guys like Alvarez and McCarty who were the best picks they had. And I don't think they see anything from Bornstein or Findley. At least not in 2011, and probably only some draft picks or small allocation in the future when they return to MLS (if they ever do).

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to disagree with one point: I don't think Rodney Wallace is "peanuts". He's quality by MLS standards and could easily make a significant contribution to the Timbers next year (presuming he comes back from his injury fully healthy).

25. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Alvarez is a headcase. The fact that they got anything for him was a good move. The real winners in that entire deal were SJ who cleared $200K for a benchwarmer. The McCarty move was odd, but Portland already has a player lined up to play in that spot. Getting value for McCarty was a shrewd move that only can be judged by who they bring in instead of him. The other trades were washes IMO. Trading Wallace to Colorado was pre-arranged, while getting Moffat, Brunner, and Lowry are low-risk, high-reward moves as all of them are capable of being starters. Findley and Bornstein were gambles, but I'd imagine at least one of them comes back within the year. All in all, I think they picked up some good talent, got value in their trades, and can be happy that at least some of the pieces are in place for the starting XI.

As for Vancouver, I like the pick-ups of Cannon, Sturgis and Thorrington. Assuming they stay healthy, they can be good starters. Not that big a fan of Harris or Salinas, and I don't expect either to start. Leathers is an unknown, but I remember him being rated when he was drafted. Everybody else got traded for cash and prizes. I don't think Vancouver went into the draft to get starters (as they already have quite a few coming up from the USL team), and I don't think they left it with any either.