roster for vs grenada (2nd leg)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by klins, Jun 15, 2004.

1. klins

klins Member

Jun 20, 1999
    stafford , tx, usa
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur), Jonny Walker (MetroStars)
    DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Bobby Convey (D.C. United), Cory Gibbs (Dallas Burn), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Greg Vanney (FC Bastia)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Chris Armas (Chicago Fire), DaMarcus Beasley (Chicago Fire), Landon Donovan (San Jose Earthquakes), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City), Earnie Stewart (D.C. United), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City Wizards)
    FORWARDS (3): Jovan Kirovski (Los Angeles Galaxy), Brian McBride (Fulham FC), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

out: pope, Lewis, Casey
    in: Gibbs, Mastroeni, Zavagnin

Arena's butt buddy, Kirovski, Still in

2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    Don't forget that Wolff was added as well.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try my hand at concocting a lineup here...

If we play a 4-4-2, it's this:

--------------------------------Keller----------------------------------

-------Convey--------Cherundolo-----------Bocanegra--------Vanney---

---------------------------------Armas--------------------------------

-----Donovan-----------------------------------------------Beasley---

---------------------------------Reyna--------------------------------

---------------------McBride------------------Wolff--------------------

If we play a 3-5-2, it's this:

----------------------------------Keller--------------------------------

------------Convey------------Cherundolo---------------Bocanegra-----

------------------------Armas-----------Mastroeni----------------------

-------Donovan-----------------Reyna--------------------Beasley-------

-------------------------McBride----------------Wolff-------------------

4. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    keller
    cherundolo mastro boca vanney
    donovan armas reyna beasley
    mcbride wolff

or

keller
    cherundolo gibbs boca convey
    donovan mastro reyna beasley
    mcbride wolff

5. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ

6. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Boca on the side (in the 3-5-2) and Little Stevie in the middle against a striker like Roberts. Has Bruce ever played Dolo at CB? I can't see Boca not being in the middle. Plus you lose Cherundolo's ability to get into the attack in that formation.

I would anticipate something like

4-4-2
    ----------------Keller-----------------
    --Cherundolo---Mastro---Boca---Vanney--
    -----------------Armas-----------------
    ---Donovan-------------------Beasley---
    -----------------Reyna-----------------
    -------McBride-------------Wolff-------

3-5-2
    ----------------Keller-----------------
    --------Dolo-----Boca-----Gibbs--------
    ------------Mastro--Reyna--------------
    ---Zavagnin------------------Beasley---
    ----------------Donovan----------------
    -------McBride------------Wolff--------

Maybe move Dolo to RM and Hejduk to RB in the 3-5-2. It will be interesting to see what Bruce does with this lineup.

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Bocanegra plays on the outside for Fulham, it's not as if he doesn't have an unfamiliarity at that position already. One thing that he does in that position is that he does a great job on the attack, and maybe even better than Cherundolo.

But I like your lineup, too. :)

That's not a bad 4-4-2, and with Mastroeni in the center of defense, you can make the adjustments towards a 3-5-2 very easily.

Very true, that. One thing's for sure-- if Bruce wants to play an attacking lineup with a 3-5-2, he's got a lot of versatility and choices to make with his personnel to achieve that.

All things considered, I'd prefer Donovan in the middle as opposed on the outside, and in behind the two front-runners as well.

I'd try and get him into that position by any means possible.

8. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    dont think dolo in the middle and convey on the rightwould work.
    442 keller
    dolo gibbs boca sanneh/bobby
    reyna armas dmb ld
    bmb wolff
    keller
    mastro gibbs boca
    reyna armas
    dolo ld dmb/convey
    mcbride wolff

9. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------keller---------

--dolo--mastro--boca--vanney--

-----armas--------reyna--------

-----donovan-----beasly--------

----mcbride------wolff----------

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Here are my thoughts on Bruce's priorities:

1) Defense. Start your #1 keeper, start your best available defensive backline. Play with four defenders and midfielders capable of playing defense. I think this leaves Convey and Hejduk out of the starting lineup unless we play a diamond midfield with one of them as a side midfielder.

2) Have the ability to counter if Grenada tries to win. Our best counter-attacking squad with this 18 has Donovan, Beasley and Wolff on the field, with Donovan receiving the ball in midfield and running with it.

3) Experience. Put the players on the field who will stick to the game plan and not get rattled if Grenada scores first. This makes Armas and Reyna more likely to play than Zavagnin, Mastro more likely to play than Gibbs in back.

4) If we score first, or even get up 2-0, you can bring in Convey and Zavagnin to lock the game down defensively and get their first taste of a WCQ without sacrificing our counterattack.

5) If Roberts is a problem or tires out Boca or Pablo, bring Gibbs.

6) If we DO start to get in some trouble, look to Frankie and Earnie as game changers.

7) Kirovski or Stewart in up top in the second half if McBride or Wolff get gassed.

Ideally, they come after us and commit numbers forward, but we manage to stop them in midfield a lot of the time, and then Donovan and Beasley can run at the defense at least even on numbers. Frankly, I'll take a 4 on 5 attack with Reyna or Armas trailing and assume we'll get a couple of goals that way. If they do push forward even the slightest bit, go right at them. Set Cherundolo free to run up the right into the space that Donovan won't be in anyway. With Wolff on the field and the possibility that Grenada will push up, we'll be able to play balls into space and have Josh chase after them.

The long-winded way of saying that I think Sinter has the right plan, though I think football Ronin has an interesting idea.

11. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Given the player pool, I love this lineup. My only possible change to this would be to move Reyna over to where Armas is, take Armas out and put in Zavagnin or Lewis where Reyna was, although this would likely happen as a second half sub.

12. mj23drj

mj23drj New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Harrisburg
    Here's my guess:

Keller

Dolo Gibbs Boca Convey

Mastro

Donovan Beasley

Reyna

McBride Wolf

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Lewis won't be there.

14. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    What da' Bruce will use:

---------keller
    -------boca--pablo
    'dolo----------------vanney
    -------reyna--armas
    ------LD--------DMB
    ------McBride--Wolff

What I would use:

----------keller
    -------gibbs--pablo
    'dolo----------------boca
    -------reyna--convey
    ------LD---------DMB
    -----McBride--Wolff

15. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Okay. Make that Zavagnin then as a starter in place of Armas. Not that Bruce would do it, but I do see him taking Armas off in the second half and replacing him with Kerry, who by the way is having a solid year with the Wizards.

16. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go with this given what BA called up:
    Keller
    Cherundolo Gibbs Pablo Convey
    LD reyna Armas DMB
    Wolff
    McBride

Gibbs would man mark Roberts. Pablo holds the back at all times. Convey and Dolo press the wings. LD given freedom to wander but told to watch that dangerous Grenada guy (Charles?) that had a couple of good long passes and limited Dolo's runs. Reyna put in a more offensive role than last game where he seemed to fall back to often and slow things down. Armas told to never get close than 30m to Grenada's goal since he was out of position often last game and is useless in the final third. DMB runs free with a quick Convey holding the left channel. Wolf has to play a more withdrawn role to give us better options than just dumping crosses into the box. McBride does his normal target forward role.

Subs preference would be to get Reyna out (KZ in) early in second half if we have at least a 3 goal lead or he slows too much. Convey can play Lmid so DMB can come out if we are well ahead and Vanney comes in at LB. Boca would be final sub if the Def starts to tire or Roberts get free too often.

I don't want Hejduk, Earnie or Kirovski on the field unless its the 85min and we have at least a 3 goal lead. Hejduk could get double yellows or a straight red if he starts or comes on too early. Earnie is fading too fast to compete with even Grenada's pro-ams. Kirovski should be watching this game on TV.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The slower, smaller and weaker Mastro should not get a start over Gibbs with Jason Roberts lurking in the middle. Replacing a big, strong Pope with Mastro could get ugly. Roberts would run all over Mastro in the center. Boca and Gibbs should get the start in the center. It is fairly likely that Bruce may start Pablo alongside Reyna, behind LD and DMB. That would leave it up to the choice of Vanney and Convey as left back in a 4-4-2. Amazingly enough though, defending a 3 goal lead, I have the feeling that Convey will be snubbed as a starter again, although I expect him to play (possibly start in) the second half if all is going well. I do believe we will start in a 4-4-2 for the simple fact that we are "defending" a lead. it would be silly to expose our backline to Roberts with only 3 men. So to summarize:

dolo---------- gibbs --- boca ---- vanney/convey---
    ----------reyna ---------------- pablo---------
    -----------LD--------------------DMB---------
    --------McBride -----------------Wolff--------

PS yes, Keller would start again.

18. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    While I agree with you here, I do see Bruce bringing in Earnie late in the match to give him his 100th cap. After that, I doubt we see the man on the US roster ever again. Bon voyáge, Earnie.

19. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This lineup is exactly what I'd like to see.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are a lot of very interesting alternative formations and lineups, and I think it's a great problem for the US to be faced with!

This is one of the lineups I would like to see:

---------------- Keller-----------------

Hejduk------Gibbs-------Bocanegra------Vanney

-----------Reyna----------Mastroeni------------

Convey---------------------------------Beasley

-----------Donovan----------McBride------------

I know Convey is not a right sided player, but as mnay people have noted, initial positions are not where most players stay. I would give Beas/Convey freedom to roam the middle of the attacking third, with Frankie and Vanney making overlapping runs from the back if necessary. I think we were exposed a bit in the center of our defensive third by Roberts, and we need to shore that up with the trio of Gibbs/.Boca/Mastro to shut them down and have to play at us from the flanks. We'll eat up those crosses all day.

Tom

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grenada has to make up 3 goals. They have to push forward. My lineup is the counter-attack special:

-------------Keller--------------
    Dolo----Pablo----Boca----Vanney
    ------------Reyna------------
    LD---------Convey---------DMB
    ---------Wolff-----McBride-------

turn the ball over with players up and this lineup will punish you - QUICK

*note: 2nd thought, experience of Pablo over athleticism of Gibbs in the middle

22. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I'd like to see:

-----------------------------------Keller----------------------------------
    Cherundolo-------------Gibbs-----------------Bocanegra------------Vanney
    -----------------------------------Reyna---------------------------------
    --Convey--------------------------------------------------------Beasley--
    ----------------------------------Donovan--------------------------------
    ---------------Wolff---------------------------------McBride--------------

IMHO a 3-goal lead is NO TIME to play it safe. We MUST go for a KO early & that's why I'd play Keller. I think Convey would give us great speed on the right flank, but not sure if he's going to play (what's the story with his not playing in the first leg?). If we're ahead at the half by 1 or 2 goals, my subs:

Hejduk for 'Dolo, Mastroeni for Reyna, & Zavagnin for Beasley.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I'm sure Grenada will surrender after Kasey scores.

24. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

25. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Based on past experience, I'm pretty sure that Convey won't be on the right and that Armas will be in the midfield.

I really don't see who Convey should replace.

In a game of this magnitude, it's no time to experiment.