Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Re: Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What do we know, how do we know it?

Jaime is Sen, S-I not GC as per the other thread, right?

Thx,

Jay!

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What do we know, how do we know it?

Oops. You're right. Fixed.

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

Knave, at one point during the offseason in this thread we had a debate about how many options a team had to acquire players. You were worried that teams only had allocations, discoveries, and lotteries for players who weren't already in the USA (ie: A-league, players under contract to MLS or just waived by MLS teams or the superdraft).

The Brazilian TI is a good example of a player the Metros just signed. They didn't use a lottery, allocation (they used up both allocations on Galvan Rey and another striker) and didn't use a discovery on him either. So while the rules are not specific (what a shock!) on this matter, it looks like MLS teams aren't limited to just discoveries, allocations and lotteries to acquire "outside" talent.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He was picked up as a developmental player so they didn't do anything outside of regulations.

http://www.mlsnet.com/about/regulations/index.html#rosters

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

I noticed with Quaranta, Quintanilla, and Thiego Martins injured that there was still an open spot on the bench today that Ara didn't fill, is he still in school?

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

He was there.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

My mistake. Thanks.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

No worries, it's always tough to pick out all the new guys. :)

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Is there any way to get a recap of what DC has in the next few drafts (basic things like 1st/2nd round picks, etc.), what DC is owed by other teams, and also Allocations/Discoveries that haven't been used yet?

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Yeah, that's all in my long post above. In the future just open up this thread and click the link in the first post. That always goes to the most recent update.

12. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I've noticed mlsnet hasn't listed Nelsen as SI in a while. is this an oversight or has he gotten a GC now? thanks.

13. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Thats a possibility...he has been in the US for a while now.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  15. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    No need to start a new thread, so I figured I stick it in here. As of today's practice:

Q2 is now practicing with the squad. He was "no contact" throughout, but looked decent, particularly on his crosses into the box - although he's still a very much left-footed player. He did well for about 45 minutes, but then the fatigue started to affect his passing. Now it's just a matter of getting game fit. You have to figure he's probably going to possibly see some game time in about a month.

Martins is about 1 1/2 months out. He'll probaly start practicing with the squad in early May. Again, like Q2, it will probably be about a month of practice before he's totally game fit.

Nana Kwame-Khofour still practices with the team. It's a mixed picture. He plays well, similar to Q2 but a little faster and stronger. PN thinks that Khofour tries to be too flashy at times, but can be developed. However, because the league doesn't want to encourage using "Development Player" spots on foriegn players, there is some question as if the team can sign him.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do you know the league's rationale for that? And how much say do they really have in the end? I guess that's one of those thorny "who controls the roster: MLS or the teams" questions ...

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Wasn't Martins tooling around on the pitch during halftime against Chicago? He might be further along than we might think...

Thx,

Jay!

18. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    No, I don't know the answer. However, without looking in detail through the various rosters I don't believe there are any International Development players. It's my guess that the league wants those spots specifically for US players. I guess the rationale would be "Why develop a player who can't play for the US, might eventually leave the league after he's developed, and will take a spot of a potential US star?"

I just finished scratching around the media guide and it does say on Developmental Players:
    Developmental Player (domestic or international): Each team will have six Developmental Players on its roster. Contracts will not count against the team's salary budget. In addition to P-40's, a team's roster protected players can only include those 23 years of age or younger during the season in question.

So, as far as I read it, it should be allowed. However, parts of the media guide are often printed up before the rules changes from year to year can be reflected, so it might be wrong. Also, as I said, while PN likes Kwame-Khofour in certain areas, he isn't totally sold. With only one development spot open he doesn't want to be too hasty.

19. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm not a doctor, but I've been around enough people with torn ACLs to know that you can be juggling a ball and doing little moves a LONG time before you're anywhere close to playing in a game.

20. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Flores for MET. Dorman and soon Brillant for NE. Nunez in DAL (some special case of Junior International being roster protected). Stephenson in KC

21. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Flores is a true TI even though he's only 20 year old - apparently, Kenny Arena was dropped from regular roster to DP without much fanfare.

Brillant and Stephenson are 23 years old, born 09/09/80 and 01/18/81 respectively, and will eventually have to be classified by TI's, taking up a roster spot, if it hasn't happened already. (I only quickly scanned the official website pages, but couldn't find anything supporting this - blame it on MLS for not having an Archivist/Historian who updates the website . . . the NFL has five!!!).

I think I remember Dorman being mentioned as a dual UK/US citizenship while I was tooling around last year during college play.

I'm pretty sure Nunez is a dual citizen, or at least a Green Card holder.

I'm not quibbling, at least that's not the intent, what it it comes down to is that the team is saying it can't sign Kwame-Khoufour because the league is saying "no". Again, one of those little mysteries that will eventually come out in the wash.

22. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I have links to prove all I said but now with the new mlsnet they don't work (they're chached on ogogle).
    Flores is roster protected even though he is ALSO a TI. I don't think Kenny Arena ever made the full roster. Stephenson will be DEV this year, I believe when he turns 24. Stephenson was JUST signed and the article states DEV. Brillant isn't officially signed yet as far as I know. Dorman is ALSO TI (stated in article announcing signing). Nunez when signed to the league before the draft was states as "junior international" and roster-protected. There are many internationals on DEV rosters and I haven't seen any evidence supporting such a rule.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A

Note 1 :: The 2004 24th pick was originally our natural pick. It was dealt to KC as part of the deal that brought Quintanilla to DC United. The pick was then traded back to us on draft day for our natural 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2005. Hence, it's now effectively as if the Quintanilla deal was for the 2005 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Anyone have any official info about this "Quintanilla deal", the original signing doesn't mention any inolvement of KC. Does this deal involve Round 2 Pick 3 in the 2003 draft that went from KC to DC and then back to KC (before SJ got it to draft Alvarez). Looking back I'm not sure what "future considerations" were given for Carey Talley. The Armstrong-Prideaux trade might be involved too, otherwise that's all the DC-KC trades for the last few years.

also according to the mlsnet dc page transactions for Barclay in 2003, DC owes SJ a conditional 2005 draft pick (unless some deal since resolved this)

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A

My information was from Steven Goff in a post elsewhere on this board. Here's the link to the post.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1804936#post1804936

Good catch about the Barclay conditional pick. I'll add a note. I bet (well, hope) he didn't meet those conditions.