Roster, Draft Picks, Allocations, Discoveries: What we know, how we know it. [N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points.

Maybe it's just that MLS now has more than two guys who can look at a college player and really figure out what they can do with them.

.....or maybe it was only Sarachan and Bradley who could do it all along.

2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Knave, I understand now that you're talking about proactive actions (rather than waiting for a lottery, waivers, etc.). And I agree than that the waivers, lotteries options aren't really proactive (though we can assume waiver drafts at certain dates when teams most comply with the cap in January and then roster cut-down dates).

Still, I think teams can sign players without having to require a discovery or allocation if there is no transfer fee or dispute in who gets first crack. As for the Dalglish example, our two allocations that year were Reyes and Quintanilla. And even then we added Lassiter and Zambrano. Okay--you can argue we acquired Lassiter off waivers (though I don't recall a specific waiver draft being held as per league "policy"). But Zambrano? So I don't think Dalgish would have been classified as a discovery.

And look at this year: we signed Thiago Martins and I don't believe he was a discovery, not an allocation, not a waiver pick, and certainly not a superdraft pick.

At one point last off-season, Colorado had 6 players on their roster (and no high draft picks and only 1 allocation coming their way). Metro had only 7 players on their roster. If the league truly held to the position that you could only add through picks, discoveries, allocations and then trades/waivers/lotteries as they were available, then neither of those teams could have fielded anything close to complete rosters.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you over this. I think you're reading the league rules accurately. But the league rules also say you can't trade discovery slots and the Metros-San Jose deal is about as obvious as you can get to not being consistent with the wording of those rules. I think what started out as very exact (you had to use a discovery for players making below certain amounts or not waiver/draft talent) has evolved into something far looser.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Right. I just want to establish a baseline of what can be absolutely counted on.
    I've gotta look into the Dalglish stuff again. Maybe tonight ...
    June 18: Claimed forward Roy Lassiter off of waivers from the Kansas City Wizards
    August 15: Acquired Henry Zambrano from Los Angeles Galaxy, forgoing remaining 'future considerations' from the Chris Albright trade (1/11/02)

http://www.dcunited.com/index.cfm?section=tradition&cont_id=94152

So Lassiter was an ad-hoc waiver draft. Zambrano completed the Albright deal.
    We were able to acquire him because we put Reyes on IR. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the means to get him.
    I actually agree. I'm the first to admit that MLS makes really odd player moves and makes up rules as it goes. But, again, I just wanted to establish a baseline of all the things we should be able to absolutely count on.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The IR moved created the roster space but what mechanism was used???? Discovery? Lottery Draft? I do not remember anything being mentioned at the time.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    According to the regulations, if a player suffers a season ending injury the team is entitled to roster relief. So by placing Reyes on injured reserve we got both the roster space and the mechanism for Martins.

Check the sections on inactive rosters and replacementplayers: http://www.mlsnet.com/about/regulations/

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things you can absolutely count on? My man, this is MLS!

As for Martins, the league's rule page doesn't spell out what "roster relief" is. I assumed it just meant that your injured player wouldn't count against your limit but that you'd still have to use the usual methods to acquire a new player. However, the portion of the page that says that is titled "Replacement Players" even though there is nothing in the following paragraph about how one is acquired!

Also, under "Means of Player Acquisition" they simply list Allocation, Draft, and Discovery. Nothing else. Of course, above that they mention waivers, etc. Unfortunately, it's not a comprehensive document.

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it just says "roster relief." Those two words sure don't say to me "a free pass to sign another player outside of the usual methods." Of course, that may be what they mean (in conjunction with meaning the injured guy doesn't count against your 24, which is what I thought they meant), but they sure don't say anything about how it gets done, whether you get priority over other teams interested in signing the same player, etc.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'd say it has to mean something along those lines. If "roster relief" for an IR player doesn't provide a mechanism to secure a replacement player then "roster relief" wouldn't be meaningful. After all, "roster relief" is not "salary relief". A team still has to pay the IR player's salary. So all that "roster relief" entails is a mechanism to acquire a new player. Whether that player has to be developmental so as not to infringe on the cap or whether a team has extra cash to spend on salary for a senior player, those are all particular to the situation.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my understanding (and I forget who I heard this from), "roster relief" is MLS' equivalent of the 10-day contract in the NBA or the third quarterback in the NFL.

You get a guy who you get to pick, but you only get him for a specific amount of time and it can't require a fee or anything. I don't know if this means that the Galaxy could sign Klinnsmann for a month if Ruiz blew his ACL, but the gist was that it was a special exception to usual acquisition rules because of the circumstances.

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Let me weigh in on the "roster relief" issue.

My understanding is that originally MLS had the "Clint Peay" situation--where a player suffered a long-term injury (in this case, a career-ender) and the team cut him. The league acted to stop abusive action on this (players injured while under contract) still got paid and couldn't be cut. But the league created marquee replacements (so when one of your designated marquee players went down, the league got you a "big name" replacement) for your roster and cap. The marquee replacement rule eventually died (for a lot of reasons--the Ben Olsen situation combined with league finances probably had a fair amount to do with it IMO).

But the league was still faced of what to do with the situation of players on small rosters who suffered season-ending injuries. Thus, an IR of sorts was created--you could declare that play ineligible for the season and get "roster relief". That's distinguished from "cap relief" of course b/c the injuried player still counts on the cap (as Reyes did this year and Amman did last year).

I do not interpret "roster relief" to mean "so you'll get a special way to acquire talent." When I read that term (Roster relief) it just says that "an injured Milton Reyes won't count on your roster. So if you've got the cap room you can add another player." I don't see how that term says we get a special "gimme" (another discovery or limited allocation or special lottery) to add that player. This interpretation is consistent with the league's shift from identifying the allocation players and talent to the teams taking on that role.

Teams have signed a couple of A-league players this year (as we did with Thiago Martins). In some cases, it appears that a transfer fee was paid (probably with Onstad) and thus they counted as discovery players. But if the player is out-of-contract (ie: no transfer fee), his rights aren't owned by another MLS team, why should that require a discovery? Plus, even some of the "reactive" player acquisition means (such as: waiver drafts, USMNT drafts, lotteries) tend to happen when the team and player is ready--see Hejduk and Joe Max Moore, Jonny Walker, Brian Ching. I think the Metro this year are an excellent example of a team that decided what talent they wanted, went out and got it, then figured out (working with the league I guess) how to assign that talent distribution.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You said it once before and you're implying it here so I guess I should ask ... I don't really understand why you think discoveries are tied to the paying of transfer fees. Yes, indeed, some discovery players have transfer fees and within the discovery player acquisition guidelines there's a provision for paying those fees up to a certain amount. But discovery acquisitions don't have anything necessarily to do with paying transfer fees. Discovery acquisitions are really just a mechanism for MLS teams to sign players that they "discover". Effectively, they're just cheap allocations. Actually, that's not really true. They're effectively just allocations that a team "discovers" - as opposed to allocations that the league owes to a team. Right? Or am I missing something? If so, give me the link.

12. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In the beginning....discoveries were "team originated" players (basically cheap discoveries) and allocations were "league originated" players. That distinction is now almost totally gone. For instance, we probably paid more in transfer fees for Milton Reyes than we did for Galin Ivanov. And the lead didn't identify Ivanov, DCU's braintrust (with the help of Stoichkov did) as I understand it.

Knave, my understanding is that while discoveries don't have to involve transfer fees, many of them do. So I didn't mean to imply that its a discovery if it involves a transfer fee. Discoveries at one point (and I don't know if they still do) have limits on the salary you can acquire via discovery (thus the "special discovery" rules allowing you to pay higher transfer fees and higher salary up to a combined amount for the first year).

I think were you and I are having this impasse is that you're reading the rules exclusively. They talk about allocations and discoveries as the ways to acquire players. Your interpretation is that is therefore the only ways to add players (other than the reactive ones of: waivers, lotteries and so on). And my argument is that the league just spells out special mechanisms for acquiring players (principally those players that may potentially involve transfer fees) but that an out-of-contract player (like a Dalglish or a Thiago Martins) can be added to a team if no-one else has a claim on them (ie: they could have potentially been in the superdraft otherwise or b/c they used to belong to another team in MLS such as Digi, even if those rights have expired).

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Right. Isn't that how the Crew added Hedjuk? No one with a allocation wanted him and then he went to the first team in reverse order- the Crew?

14. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Basically correct. Except everyone knew Frankie was going to Columbus before it happened. Just like DCU talked briefly with JMM but he went to Boston on a similar situation--it didn't take an allocation either.

15. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I think people can debate all this stuff 'till the world stops spinning...and it won't matter.

MLS doesn't have rules. It makes things up as they go along. There is really no way to know what is going to happen.

They are going to make sure we get Adu. No existing rule will be followed, they'll just make one up.

I'm hoping it won't be too much longer before single-entity goes away, but I guess we just have to be patient.

16. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Exactly

But the SEM isn't fundamentally incompatible with real, actual rules. You could have both at the same time.

17. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    A few questions:

1. Isn't there a waiver draft in a few weeks? I remember there was one after MLS Cup last year although we didn't acquire anyone, instead we waived 5 players.

2. What are the chances of MLS clubs being added next year (Rochester, Club America etc.)?

3. Somebody was talking about an out of contract forward a few threads ago. Started with a C... anyone remember his name? Just wanted to know how whoever posted it found out about that.

Lastly, I don't think we should try to acquire a high-scoring forward in the draft since those are the hardest to find and have the lowest success rate, but rather go after a d-mid since that sort of position usually has a higher success rate. Although to have that situation happen we would have to trade for at least a second rounder.

Doesn't Maryland have a good d-mid (Stammler???)? If they do thats good since the United brain-trust is done there scouting the ACC finals which had Maryland vs. Virginia (it was on CSN, Virginia won on 9 rounds of Pk's). UVA also had a very solid center-back senior named Matt Oliver http://virginiasports.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/oliver_mahatha00.html. If you really think about it we could actually use a center-back considering Nelsen and Petke are the only real ones and Nelsen won't be here much longer.

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    1) Probably

2) 40/60. News will come within the next few weeks

3) That would be Jeff Cunningham, who I still think we should acquire as he is a free agent.

19. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    You should probably learn something about single-entity.

"Free agent" is a meaningless term when it comes to MLS intraleague affairs. Single-entity is designed specifically to prevent the wage escalation that results from bidding among teams for a player's services.

To get Cunningham, you would have to trade with Columbus for his rights, not simply offer him a contract.

20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Even if he's out of contract? Why on Earth would we have to pay Columbus for a player the don't own?

21. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    It's one of the perversities of single-entity.

All players are contracted to the league, not the teams. The rights are assigned to the teams.

The league negotiates with the players (or really their agents). If Cunningham were to ask for more money than the league wanted to pay him, then he would be a free agent-- but only to teams outside MLS. Maybe that team would be in Germany (like Hertha Berlin when they signed Sanneh, who was lowballed), maybe it would be Charleston, SC (who have signed MLS players like Wynalda who didn't get what they wanted from MLS).

Teams DO have some ability to authorize MLS to offer a certain wage to their players. But their authority isn't that great-- they wouldn't be able to pay a clearly mediocre player the maximum salary, even if the GM somehow were self-destructive enough to mis-value players. It's when the league sees the necessity of keeping a crucial player that teams run into cap problems. Carlos Bocanegra certainly deserves way more money now than what he signed for as a rookie, and if MLS doesn't pay him a fair salary, he'll go overseas for the money he deserves. But Chicago might then have to trade him to a team with more salary cap room.

If the league and Cunningham agree on a deal, Columbus automatically gets the right to keep him, but they would have to deal with the salary cap. That wouldn't be a problem for them, though. So the issue is what DC is willing to give up in compensation, unless Columbus were to unilaterally give up their rights by waiving Cunningham. But the rights to a player stay with the last team, even if that player went overseas for a time.

It's a strange system, no doubt, but if you listen to the owners, single entity the only reason MLS has been able to afford to pay its players and stay on solid financial footing. As a contrast, look at the NHL, where runaway wages-- largely due to free agency-- are putting that league in peril.

22. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Its not Cunningham its like Carrica or something. From somewhere in South America.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Or to put it differently, as far as the player transfer market is concerned there's only one team in MLS. It's called MLS. :)

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That would be Claudio Ciccia, who is likely to go to NY or LA if either Mathis or Ruiz leave.

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I suggested this possibility over on the Burn board but maybe I'll ask about it here too ...

So it looks like Etch is going to retire because we need to give the Burn an allocation and, well, how else are we going to get an allocation? If Etch retires then MLS has an excuse to give us an allocation and we would recoup a whole lot of salary money. Then, according to the plan, we trade the allocation to Dallas for their #1 pick which we use to draft Freddy Adu who will count against our cap as a P-40 player. Right?

Here's the thing: I bet that DC United ends up shouldering a good deal of that allocation's salary even though he'll play for Dallas. That has been done before in MLS. Some team gets a player but another team, for one reason or another, picks up all or a portion of the salary. My gut feeling is that's going to be the case for this allocation as well - at least for his first year.

In short, I suspect the reality isn't just that we traded the allocation for the first pick. I bet some cap money was thrown in to sweeten the deal. If this is true then we're not going to recoup Etch's full salary which means we've got less ability to sign discovery players.

Thoughts?