roster changes

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by RUfan, May 21, 2009.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/ny/news/press_releases/090521-sesselmann

Sky Blue FC announced three roster moves today including the signing of forward Lauren Sesselmann to a developmental contract. In addition, the New Jersey/New York Women’s Professional Soccer team promoted Noelle Keselica to the full roster and waived Jenny Hammond.

...“Obviously, at this point our forwards are banged up so Lauren provides an option,” said Sky Blue FC General Manager and Head Coach Ian Sawyers. “She is a possession forward, and a physical player – brave, courageous and good in the air.”

2. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    No big surprise there. I thought they were a little light at forward anyway. With Kai and Walsh nursing injuries, and O'Reilly off with the Nats, they had to do something. I was kind of surprised Sesselmann hadn't wound up on a roster when Chicago cut her. Too bad for Jenny Hammond.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. GLBryan

GLBryan Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Georgia
    "Athletica Head Coach and General Manager Jorge Barcellos announced today that Saint Louis Athletica and Sky Blue FC of the new Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) league have reached an agreement on a trade. Saint Louis Athletica will send forward Kerri Hanks, midfielder Francielle, and the rights to Brazil’s Renata Costa to Sky Blue FC in exchange for forward Sarah Walsh, the rights to Brazilian midfielder Ester, and conditional draft picks."

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hanks may be a better fit with this team. They have a former Notre Damer as Head Coach and some former ND players as well and as weird as this may sound she may even fit in with the former UNC players on the team since ND and UNC have played each other several times during Hanks' ND career. As a long time follower of the womens game including college, I have always felt that UNC and ND were each other's ying and yang although IMO, Waldrum and Dorrance are fairly similar in their systems, high pressure, lots of subs, how they attack, etc.
    I think she'll fit with Sky Blue FC a lot better then with Athletica.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One positive thing to note on Hanks. Tom Timmerman was writing a piece on Hanks for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this weekend (unfortunately this kind of ruined that). But anyhow, he said he noticed how much happier Hanks had seemed the last week and he asked Tina Ellertson if she was more cheerful. Ellertson responded that it didn't change anything, that she always has always been upbeat for the whole season. Also mentioned in the story was how Hanks was probably one of closest to Ellertson little daughters, so they will miss her.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/free-kicks/free-kicks/2009/06/why-the-trade/

8. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    What must Sarah Walsh be thinking...she had settled in Sky Blue & lived with her Australian teammate McCallum & they spoke of their chemistry on the field...DO players get asked if they want to leave, can they decline the offer?

I understood the LA Sol trades to Athletica as the players were not getting a game but the Walsh trade i don't understand at all. Hanks yes thats fine.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't think they have a choice. They are owned by the team. Like other American sports the teams are at liberty to trade players as they see fit. Very few players in American professional sports have a "no trade" clause in their contracts.

10. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    I like Walsh a lot, but she only played in 5 games, due to lingering injuries. I don't know if she was ever 100%. She hasn't been a factor in the team's resurgence, at least not on the field. She's very much a speed player, and I think Sky Blue has an abundance of speed in their attack. What they seemed to be lacking was a true finisher, and maybe Hanks will provide that. I'll admit I'm not a huge Hanks fan, but then I haven't seen her play that much. Maybe the change of scenery will do her good. If she can trail the play and convert some of the chances that the speed players provide, you know, the classic 'right place at the right time' goals, she'll be a welcome addition.

On the chemistry front, Rosana's been playing well, so maybe they thought that adding another Brazilian, Francielle, would help her even more. Since they rarely had both Aussies on the field at the same time, that chemistry wasn't happening. Then you've got the wild card of the unsigned Brazilians that were swapped. If Sky Blue can sign Renata Costa for next season, that could be a big addition. She's young, can either play in back or in the midfield, and is a goal-scorer. She's in Sweden and her contract expires at the end of the year.

11. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In Texas we had a governor named Jim Hogg who named his daughter Ima, as in Ima Hogg. Hopefully Katie will exercise better judgment should she have a children of her own. ;)

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you could go by her maiden name (Antongiovanni), but it's so freaking long, I can't pronounce it...and I'm Italian.

Hanks never seemed to be in the right place at the right time. She doesn't have great speed. But I know she can still be a good player. She finally got a great setup on Wednesday and buried it. Maybe this will turn it around for her.

As for Francielle, there is a lot of raw talent there. She makes some bad decisions as you might expect from an 19 year old and she occasionally will shy away from contact, but you could see that she has a lot of talent in the games I've seen her. But for goodness sake, don't put her at outside back. Jorge did that against Washington and I've never seen so many uncontested runs up her side of the field. She's a midfielder and is good with the ball at her feet and can look pretty good passing it around. That's her strength.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaner to Los Angeles for their 3rd round draft pick in 2010, posted on the WPS transaction page.

14. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Lets hope Hanks can fit in and contribute. NJ is in need of finishers. Of course Rampone, O'Reilly and Kai always come to play. I have been to 5 home games and was impressed with Dowling. She should get a shot on the WNT. Kacey White has some nice ball handling skills but needs to finish. Canada has a gem in Kelly Parker and Sitch needs to be on the field for the full 90. Cori Alexander was kicking balls around at the last game. So far no complaints with Coach Lindsey and I like her style.

15. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Waht other backs do they have cause Asante will be missing some games due to the Euros. I don't know why they let Shaner go...unless Dowling will move infield i guess but then who to play RB...stich?

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitch played back early in the season. Trying to remember if that was for Rampone when she was out. Actually, I think that is Sitch's first position, but don't know if she's normally inside or outside.

Francielle played back for one game against Washington, so she could in an emergency, but I wouldn't recommend it. She didn't have a good game back there at all. But with Shaner waived, I think Sky Blue is only at 21 players, so they could add somebody today or make a trade.

17. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    It's considered a trade, isn't it? Not a waiver...

Sitch played right back and Dowling moved to center back when Rampone was hurt. I would expect we'll see the same thing when Asante leaves for the Euros.

I hope the trade works out for Shaner. She's one I could see winding up as a starter in Philly or Atlanta next year, if Franko returns to LA.

18. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct. Sorry.

I noticed that Kai is listed as unavailable on the WPS roster report. That means Hanks might be starting right out of the blocks. Sky Blue is really thin at forward right now.

19. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Wow, Shaner finally gets a chance to play and winds up with a badly broken leg. What a shame. Hope she's ready in time for next season.