Ronaldo vrs Michael vick, whos a better athlete?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by FenoFutbol, Aug 24, 2006.

1. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Beckam is a good free kicker, and his " metrosexual " looks are just perfect of a comparison with Dennis Rodman :D

If you do not like Beckam with Rodman, we can prob compare him with Barbie or Ken, too bad Barbie isnt a soccer player in the US, or maybe Beck can go in the same category as tiger wood, they're both pimps, they both have a hot wife, they both could easely get beat by Freddy Adu with one hand tied.

2. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big deal...Adu's not allowed to use his hands, anyway. :p

3. reelmaad

reelmaad New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Maybe so...but he been topscorer or top-player in just about every league/competition he has played in....

Leagues:
    Brazil....Copa Libertadores's top scorer: 1994
    Dutch....top scorer: 1995
    Spain [Barca]...top scorer: 1997
    Italy....top player: 1998
    Spain [RM]...top scorer: 2004

UEFA.....player of year: 1998
    Intercontinental Cup final....top player: 2002

Intl:
    Copa America....top scorer: 1997 & 1999
    WCQ.....top scorer: 2005

WC [probably the only player to ever go to a WC and not come back empty handed].....
    WC94: gold medal
    WC98: silver medal & golden ball
    WC2002: gold medal, silver ball, golden shoe
    WC2006: bronze shoe

FIFA World Player....Ist place: 1996 / 1997 / 2002.....2nd place: 1998....3rd place: 2003

And lets not forget that hes also.....Number one in the WC all-time goalscoring charts and second in Brazil's all-time goalscoring charts

That was just some of things hes achieve so far....

4. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think its not really realistic to compare American Football players
    to Soccer players.
    IMO, much of Amer. Football training seems to be the physical part. Training for the 40 yard sprint, weight training, all fast twitch training/power training. This alone can make you a good Football player, depending on how much you put into it and genetics of course.
    Soccer is different, more diversified in its needs of abilities.
    You never really hear of Soccer players concentrating on their 40 yd or 100 yd sprint. Its not really even realistic training for Soccer players whose movements on a field don't reflect that kind of training. Most of a Soccer players training will be for quickness with and without the ball in small areas, endurance and recovery and a very large skill set training.
    Soccer seasons are very long with a short off season to work on simply the physical/power training end. Football has a long off-season where players can work on strength/power.
    Of course, there is the tactical knowledge/training both sports will require but I guess we are comparing the physical only.
    Its very different training for very different sports. If American football players spent their life training for Soccer, they would not look and move the way they do now as American Football players.
    I guess the only comparison could be who is the better athlete in their sport.
    Is Michael Vick a better Football player than Ronaldo is a Soccer player?
    Why bother?

5. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    I think Michael Vick, but Ronaldo could have been a football player...

6. ACC-STRIKER9

ACC-STRIKER9 New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh please. You know it is VICKMAN . I watched him play at the arena in georgia and he is faster quicker and more black than ronaldo

7. ACC-STRIKER9

ACC-STRIKER9 New Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Here is my list, for now, american football not include it.

1. Maradona - Ali
    2. Pele - Jordan
    3. Ronaldo - Koby Bryan?
    4. Tevvez (just because Im argentino)- Tyson
    5. David Beckam - Dennis Rodman
    6. Ronaldinho - Vince Cartr?
    7. Jorge Gonzalez - any magicians in American sports?

I heard a lot about this quarterback but I forgot his last name, is like Italian or something. I still have to find out about about American football to compare soccer players to them.

8. keeper06

keeper06 Off the Post

Mar 16, 2006
    Chico CA U*S*A
    Mon-'tan-a?

:D

9. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I say Ronaldo is more like Tyson; they were both dominating when they were in their early twenties

10. onelessstar

onelessstar Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I am so tired of people assuming that a soccer/football player can not possibly be as good an athlete as an American football or basketball player.

Anyone remember the "Superstars" competition that used to run on ABC in the '70s and 80s? It used to feature sports stars from a variety of North American professional sports (NFL/NBA/NHL/NASL etc...) battling against each other in a series of athletic events.

Well... as it turned out Brian Budd (a jouneyman NASL soccer player) won the "World Superstars" competition "an unprededented three consecutive times, 1978, 1979, and 1980. The story goes that large American TV network ABC arranged it so that Budd could no longer compete beyond 1980 becaused he, an unknown to the American TV audience, had embarrassingly beaten all the famous American football and baseball stars entered and that this resulted in the network receiving low ratings for its broadcast." (from Wikipedia)

So... is it so unlikely that a top soccer/football player (ie. Ronaldo) could actually be a better athlete than a top American sport athlete (ie. Michael Vick)? I think not...

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Kyle Rote, Jr. (NASL star and USMNT player in the '70s) also win it at least once?

12. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    3 times. Pole vaulters also did exceptionally well. Also, after Budd was excluded from the 1981 World Superstars contest (to allow someone more appealing to American TV audiences to win), guess who won in 1981? A South African Formula 1 race car driver. ABC execs were probably catatonic after that one.

13. nath7998

nath7998 New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    The one who doesn't pass herpes around?