Ronaldo vrs Michael vick, whos a better athlete?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by FenoFutbol, Aug 24, 2006.

1. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Hahaha u saw it coming, lets compere them big boys. Bring your numbers
    white boy.

FIFA World Player of the Year: 1996 (youngest winner), 1997, 2002
    European Footballer of the Year (Ballon d'Or): 1997, 2002
    UEFA Most Valuable Player - 1998
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Overseas Personality: 2002
    FIFA World Cup
    2006 All-Time World Cup Goalscorer - 15 Goals
    2006 Bronze Boot - Third Top Scorer 3 goals & 1 assist in 5 games
    2002 Golden Boot - Top Scorer 8 goals
    2002 Silver Ball - 2nd Best Player
    2002 Winner
    1998 Golden Ball - Best Player
    1998 Runner-up
    1994 Winner
    Brazilian Cup: Cruzeiro 1993
    Dutch Cup: PSV Eindhoven 1996
    Cup Winners' Cup: FC Barcelona 1997
    Confederations Cup: 1997
    Copa América: 1997, 1999
    UEFA Cup: Internazionale 1998
    Intercontinental Cup: Real Madrid 2002
    European Super Cup: Real Madrid 2002
    La Liga - Primera División champions: Real Madrid 2002/2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo#Philanthropy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4506085155667669772&q=Ronaldo&hl=en

Whats up?

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd give the award to Ronaldo (in his prime.)

3. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You talkin' about tubby, here? :p

[​IMG]

A lot of people think Jim Thorpe is/was the best athlete of all time, but at the end of the day, we'd just be comparing apples to oranges...or in the current case of Ronaldo...pears.

Once again, find where I said soccer players weren't great athletes and I will proclaim you king of all the internet!

I just happen to have a healthy respect for all athletes, no matter what their sport. Furthermore, I'm able to separate my love (or loathing) of a sport from the rational discussion of that sport.

4. keeper06

keeper06 Off the Post

Mar 16, 2006
    Chico CA U*S*A
    I thought that was AlGore?

5. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    First off who is the white boy you are referring too? And trying to compare soccer awards to football is a joke. There is no international NFL World Bowl or whatever it would be called. In any given year a soccer team can win up to 3 or more awards as compared to the singel SuperBowl. I like soccer probably 10 times more then football, but if I had to pick either Ronaldo and Vick to compete in say 10 different physical sports, I would pick Vick. And I would even bet Vick would win in 7 or more.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo? RONALDO? No contest, it's Vick.

If you'd mentioned someone like Ronaldinho or Robben or Cannavaro, the soccer player would actually have a pretty good chance of winning the debate. Even in Ronaldo's prime, Edgar Davids was infinitely more of an athlete.

7. keeper06

keeper06 Off the Post

Mar 16, 2006
    Chico CA U*S*A
    ...and either of them would kick Tiger Woods arse...

8. mpmvdc

mpmvdc New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Columbia, MO
    I don't think you're giving Ronaldo enough credit. You can't accomplish the things he did without speed, strength, coordination, etc. In his prime do I really think he could run 40 yards in a straight line as fast as Mike Vick? No, I don't. But it'd probably be pretty close. Also I'd give ronald the heads up in anything like tennis, skiing, or washers.

9. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    So that video of Ronaldo beating the crap out of the defenders from all over the world does not mean anything?

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Vick is the better athlete. Ronaldo is the better soccer player. Athletically the two couldn't be any more different at this point in time. Vick is much faster and stronger than Ronaldo.

11. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    But in his prime, Ronaldo was absolutely breath-taking. I don't know who Michael Vick is, and therefore obviously can't compare them, but it's hard to imagine a better athlete than Ronaldo in his prime:
    look at that

12. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well then, have a look at this.
    Vick is one of the fastest athletes I have ever seen. He also possesses an incredible amount of upper body strength. The guy in green and yellow (Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila) is 6' 4" tall, 250# and runs a 4.58 second 40 yard dash. He shrugged him off like a winter coat.

Okay...crown prince.

13. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means he is a fabulous athlete. Extremely graceful and intuitive, and yes, even magical...but it's not the definitive proof of being the "best" athlete you think it is.
    If you want to know who the best athlete in the world is, right now, Google "decathlete world champion 2006". That event, more than anything else, is the determining factor of overall athletic prowess, period.

14. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I am not sure who the better athlete is although Vick is one of the best I have seen.

Lets compare who is better at their sport hands down Ronaldo. Vick is an average NFL quarterback on his best day.

15. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No argument there. It's what he does outside the classic scope of his position that makes him unique. I've never seen a player able to tip the field the way he does (except when he faces my Buccaneer defense. :D) with his speed.
    You can take a receiver like Moss out of the game with coverage. Of course, that opens up other areas, but you can do it. Vick just puts that X Factor into the game.

16. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    The formula to stop Vick is out. (thanks to your bucs) Running quarterbacks do not last very long in the NFL especially ones that cant throw accuratley. Unfortunatly i believe the best days of Michael Vick are behind him.

17. ss1970

ss1970 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Huntington WV
    Just to let everyone know, I am very new to soccer. Thanks for the clip of Ronaldo, that's really impresive, fun to watch and if more American kids grew up seeing that kind of athleticism and skill on the soccer field then we could really generate some excitment towards soccer and grow some talent here.

Now to your post, obviously Ronaldo is freak soccer stud, no denying that...and has some serious athletic ability. M. Vick, also has serious athletic ability and is a physical freak of nature. Like one of the above post's suggested, put them both (in their Prime) in a serious of 10 athletic competitions (excluding soccer and american football skills) and Vick wins hands down. Bigger, Stronger, Faster, with similiar vision and perception on the playing field. Vick is just the better athlete.

Now, I will also concur with another of the post's above, Ronaldo=better professional soccer athlete than Vick is as a pro quaterback in the NFL. Vick was a freak at VTech and, sometimes, the only reason that college team even won games. He put them on the map, but professionally (and maybe it's the personel on the Falcons) he just doesn't seem to have the same impact. Still dangerous, but probably not as dangerous as Ronaldo (in his Prime) was in professional soccer matches.

Since we like youtube here, check this out. Superiour athletic ability: strength, speed, skill, perception, field of vision, heart and desire from a "typical" american college football player that wasn't even "athletic enough" to earn a position with a pro american football team. Remember, this running back was taking to guys that go on to play in the NFL. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0AFxF10XtE
    long version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHr2DbCBHws&mode=related&search=
    short version...hope it works...let me know if it doesn't

Know everyone knows that I'm a Mountaineer!

18. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that run. Is he going to play in NFL Europe or Arena? So much strength and speed.

19. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    I think the big argument in here is from that American quote that says "soccer players arent real athletes" and yes most competitives north americans thinkg that way, thinking american football players are way above soccer players.

I know I do not have to prove anything to you guys bc you already soccer fans but, i mean come on, you know what the point is. I honestly do not think football players are that big of a deal, they're just big.... if we gone talk about big, we can talk about Shaq Oneil, if we gone talk about strong, we can talk Mike Tyson...

Not we're not talking who has a bigger upper body, or whos fastest, we are talking of who is a better athletes, isnt Michael Johnson the fastest guy on American? He is not even a football player.

Here is the definition of an athlete.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    For the band from south London, see Athlete (band).
    Look up Athlete in
    Wiktionary, the free dictionary.An athlete is a person who has above average physical skills (strength, agility, and endurance) and is thus suitable for physical activities, in particular, contests. An ancient Greek word for "contest" was athlos, and those competing in the games were called athletes.

In more specific settings, an athlete is one who participates in competitive events such as professional sports. In British English this is often limited to athletics.

The word can also, although less often, refer to a mental, instead of physical, competitor or possessor of skills. Athletes can play many sports and they're not all the same shape and size.

20. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...if we're going to compare definitions...then have a look at this.
    You also seem to have this misconception that all football players are huge. They aren't. You have five offensive linemen and one or two monsters in the middle of the defensive line. Everyone else on the field is as athletic as they come. Wide receivers and corners are usually running sub 4.5 40s. Linebackers and tight ends are usually in the 4.5-4.8 range. Running backs are usually anywhere in those ranges as well, depending on their role.
    Lumping all football players into the category of "fat" is as silly as lumping all soccer players into the category of "Landon Donovan". :p

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to make any claims about NFL athleticism (obviously they are very athletic in some ways), but how legit are those 40s? In another thread on BigSoccer, someone actually pointed out that if the 40s were timed perfectly accurately, then NFL players would be fast enough on grass to take all of the Olympic sprint medals over runners who train solely to sprint, running on high-tech track surfaces designed for speed. As it turns out, football tends to time 40s by a variety of ways that ensures as much exaggeration of speed as possible: running starts, hand timing, and other things.

Frankie Hejduk, timed using the same (error-filled) method, ran a 4.2 - and was flat-out outrun by Arjen Robben in a match (referring to a few situations where both were sprinting for a loose ball).

22. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Is funny when you think all soccer players think football players are fat... If thay call us "sisis" we are going to call them fatties! This competitive men talking.

Lets face it, most people that talk crap about soccer are usually fat Americans that love Baseball and football and hate anything thats not from here.

The only people that think football players are GREAT ATHLETES are mostly unathletic white kids bc they never had a chance on the football team or in the basketball team, thats the cold true in this issue.

One of my best friends in HS was the starting quaterback, he said he used to be the best soccer player when he was a kid but them he started getting really into football, he still enjoyed soccer, and gave us the respect we deserve...

Mostly people that talked crap about soccer were Rednecks, fat baseball players, and some football players that didnt even start on the team.

The nerdy kids who were scared of football players and they saw them as GREAT athletes, which it isnt the case. If a nerdy kid tells you, "o yeah that black kid is a so fast," how are you gone believe that? the nerdy won even run to his math class... are you kidding me?

If you talk Michael Vick ill give you some credit, but a lot of football player are just fat unathletic, the same with baseball, and some basketball players. If you are too tall you cant never be the best.... Michael Jordan wasnt the tallest or the strongest, Mohammed Alli wasnt also the strongest...

Technique, Mental toughnest, skill... let say that Vick is a better "athlete" than Ronaldo, I still dont buy that one, nobody have shown anything different from "he is big or he is strong."

Lets take it to the next level. Michael Vick better than Ronaldo? What have Michael Vick ever won?

This competitive men talking sports :cool:

23. ss1970

ss1970 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Huntington WV

I'm not sure, I think that he made an NFL practice squad so he may be going to play in Europe...I'm pretty sure that he is/was on the payroll of some team somewhere. I still think that he is a better back than some currently starting in the NFL. You have to remeber, he only started one year of college football for WVU due to the depth that they have at that position. That run is truely amazing.

Not to make any claims about NFL athleticism (obviously they are very athletic in some ways), but how legit are those 40s? In another thread on BigSoccer, someone actually pointed out that if the 40s were timed perfectly accurately, then NFL players would be fast enough on grass to take all of the Olympic sprint medals over runners who train solely to sprint, running on high-tech track surfaces designed for speed. As it turns out, football tends to time 40s by a variety of ways that ensures as much exaggeration of speed as possible: running starts, hand timing, and other things.[/

Someone called me on this and I answered this in a previous thread/topic...The NFL (during there combines to judge the skill and talent of the players coming out of college) uses the most technical, state of art, expensive devices known to measure time...specifically the 40. During the time measurment, the player gets into position and places his thumb on a response pad. As soon as the thumb breaks contact with the pad timing starts. Timing ends when the player crosses the laser line at the end of the 40. I beleive that I also read somewhere that a world class olympic athlete tends to start a little slower (by sprinter standards) and excelerates as the distance increase whereas the football player tends to max out at around the 40 mark.

The NFL is a huge financial market, lots of money, so the owners and coaches want to be sure that they are getting the fastest, most athletic guys that they can get...thus the accurate timing. So, the 40 times are very legit, that's what they are paying for...and a guy like Randy Moss had a redicules 40 time, he also broke all of the state sprinting records when he was in high school, and if he had chosen to be a world class sprinter then he would probably have been very successfull at it.

I honestly do not think football players are that big of a deal, they're just big.... if we gone talk about big, we can talk about Shaq Oneil, if we gone talk about strong, we can talk Mike Tyson...

Not we're not talking who has a bigger upper body, or whos fastest, we are talking of who is a better athletes, isnt Michael Johnson the fastest guy on American? He is not even a football player.

Watch that clip again and tell me that football players are not a big deal. I can promise you that, had Shaq or Mike Tyson been in that runners way, they would have been knocked into next week. But, athletically, neither Shaq nor M. Tyson would have been fast/quick enough to have even been in the position to get knocked on their arse by Quincy (the runner in the clip).
    When we talk about athleticism, to a certain extent, we have to talk about bigger, stronger, faster. It's like the boxing trueism, "A good little boxer can never beat a good bigger boxer". For the little boxer to succeed over the larger opponent, he has to have superior skills...if the skills are equal and one of the two boxers is clearly bigger, stronger and faster, the littler boxer has no chance.

24. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London
    Vick is quite an amasing athelete BUT I dunno how u can compare a guy who runs with a ball in his hands to a guy who runs with the ball at his feet.....

25. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa

Isnt the Polar Bear stronger than the lyon?

Mike Tyson wasnt that big either but he used to knok the f.. out of some big a.. dudes.

We are not talking Donovan vrs Vick, we are talking Ronaldo... "el fenomeno," we are talking heavy weight class and that does not include mommies boys.