Ronaldinho 2006 or Messi 2009

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Serengeti_Boy, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Ronaldinho and Leo Messi are two world class players. They both had years with were "theirs". Ronaldinho was the star in Barcelona in their 2005/06 season and Messi was also the star in 2008/09 season. Both seasons had amazing games, goals, skills and overall conrtibution from these two stars. But if you were to pick the better player, Messi last year or Ronaldinho in his peak (not just in those seasons but in their Barca form overall) who would you pick?

2. lionmessi

lionmessi Member

May 27, 2008
    ronaldinho was more complete player and better to watch. he was also stronger and could do it against physical egnlish sides. i would take him.

3. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    for me, dinho 2004- early 2006 was better.

4. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I enjoyed watching Messi more simply because I prefer his style of play, but I think Ronaldinho was the better and more complete attacker.

5. Triton

Triton Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Ronaldinho was a better ''big game'' player and a more complete one with more versatile skills as well. Until now, Messi wasn't able to be the cutting edge or the difference maker against physical teams. Every time he faced a team with a ''bunker-defense'', he was neutralized. I can not say the same thing for Ronaldinho, who was able to score winning goals against such kind of teams (Chelsea and Milan are primary examples from the CL I can think of).

6. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Messi dominates Ronaldinho when it comes to stats. Just putting it out there . ;)

7. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not surprising, considering Messi is a forward and Ronaldinho was more of a creative and attacking midfielder.

8. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ronaldinho's best years came playing as a left wing forward where Henry is playing now. He did playmake a lot but he was really still a forward. And even then their assist figures are very similar.

I would say Ronaldinho because he seemed more unstoppable at times but right now Messi's having yet another WPOTY season with 15 goals and 7 assist in 16 matches so far.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Messi has all talents and "potential" to be equal or even surpassed Roanldinho's peak. Here we'll have to wait and see

Up to date, Messi's best 2009 was still not up to Ronaldinho's best 2005. However, It's very compatible with Ronaldinho's 2006 btw. If NOT becuase of the WC06, Ronnie was pretty much on course to win his 2nd ballon Dor and very possible his 3rd WPOY!

10. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronaldinho was more complete player and Messi is more direct player. I would also say that Barca 08/09 is better than Barca 2005/06 as a team, which may have an effect in some way. I won't deny I have a soft spot for Leo - he's my favorite player since I saw him play against Real M. It was that game at the Bernabeu when Dinho scored two amazing goals and made Helguera and Ramos look silly. But it was Messi that made a huge impression on me. I don't think Messi has reached his peak yet. He's more creative than people give him credit for, because he's made an impression as mazy dribbler.
    In my biased opinion, I think Messi wins, because he had more influence towards the success on better Barca edition.

11. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Ronaldinho was invisible in Germany in 2006, went downhill from there and never recovered (for those who say he was just tired from the Spanish season.) In his prime he was a more complete player, but Messi still hasn´t peaked.

12. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    This is my opinion also. Ronaldinho was more complete, but in 2005-06 he was 25/26. In 2008-09 Messi was 21/22. So it's not clear if it's down to the age or the player. Messi is certainly scoring more, much more than Ronaldinho did.

I should add that "never recovered" isn't quite accurate. He's recovering now.

13. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi is a much much more direct player than Ronaldinho ever was. It's only natural for him to have scored less goals than Messi.

If I were forced to choose one to have on my team it'd be Ronaldinho. Messi is too easily shut down in games against tough opposition but Ronaldinho is like Xavi in the sense that he will show up no matter what.

14. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The topic question is a two-blade razor.

<<2006 or 2006>>? :cool: ...

In the 1st hypothesis, Dinho by far.

In the 2nd (2006/up to September 11th 2009), Messi.

2006 marked the lowest point in Dinho's career.

2009 the highest (so far) in Messi's - which is still way below Dinho's highest peak.

But, since Rosário 2009 the Brz's been ahead again.

Til the end of the World Cup - with the title, I hope.:D

15. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Is this suppose to be a a myth or something? Are you somehow stereotyping Messi's entire career so far because of what happened against Chelsea last year? Totally bizarre really. Messi has shown up quite a lot of times when his team needs him the most even if his teammates didn't. Do you consider Bayern, Real Madrid, Lyon, Bremen, Chelsea, (he did embarrass you guys quite a bit in 2005), Manchester United (he didn't dominate but he still scored and was far from "easily shut down'), etc... weak opposition?

Let's not forget Ronaldinho was quite invisible in the 2006 CL final. Just saying.

Way below is a ridiculous hyperbole.

05/06 which is when Barca won La Liga and CL with Ronaldinho and when he was arguably at his peak his numbers were:

24 goals 17 assists in 41 matches (0 of them coming in as a sub).

08/09 when Barca won the trebol Messi's numbers were:

38 goals 16 assists in 51 matces (10 of them coming in as a sub).

We can argue that Ronaldinho did look more unstoppable at times because he was. I also said I prefer Dinho's earlier form over Messi but let's not get carried away claiming there was a huge difference between the two in those respective years.

Are you joking? Messi has 15 goals and 7 assists in 16 matches this season. Only one of those goals coming from a PK.

Half of Dinho's goals this season have been PK's. And for a large part of the first half of the season he looked crap.

Let's not get ridiculous here.

16. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi was nowhere in that CL final against United.

17. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    He scored and his dribbling helped Barca keep possession.

18. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Right, tell that to Rio and VDS. I'm sure they didn't see him either. Messi was more in that final than Ronnie was in 06 final.

19. LuisFabiano

LuisFabiano New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think perhaps Serengeti_Boy meant Ronaldinho's season ending in 2006, excluding what happened to the rest of the year like World cup and season 2006/07. Correct me if I'm wrong:confused:

I agree with Dr. Know that some of you are being harsh on Messi without any good reasoning. For me personally, I would have taken Ronaldinho in his prime. He was the more complete package, was physical, had more flair and tricks in his book and was more entertaining. He mad wicked freekicks too:cool:.

But I don't think Messi is that far off from R10's peak form as some of you have mentioned.

20. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania

Precisely what I meant.

Also on another note guys, I dislike speaking about players not hitting peak yet especially when theyve achieved alot when they were young. For example you have Michael Owen, Ronaldinho himself and others who were suppose to be at the peak of their powers at age 28, but it was clear that they had their best years at a younger age.

Having said that, could it be possible for Messi, who's already had a masterclass season to not have another great one like this again during his upcoming "peak" years?

21. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In 1st place let's stop with this colonized attitude of just rating a player for what he's done 'for Barça, for Chelsea or for Milan'.

When rating players you must also consider what he's done NT wise too.

In short - what he's done at the highest level.

And at the highest level Messi has done absolutely nothing yet (that's why I cited Rosário 2009).

While Ronaldinho gave a World Cup to his country and a CL to Barça coming from different clubs & totally different environments Messi just excelled in one club he's been raised in and where he feels as if he were at home since he was 12 years old.;)

For his country, as far as Copa Américas & WC qualifiers are concerned, so far he's done absolutely...nothing.

Don't take me wrong, I'm his fan.

But close to Dinho Messi is still a one-legged player - he lacks NT dimension.:cool:

22. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Messi is already having another masterclass season, this season.

23. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    +1 Dr. Know,

I prefer dinho, but it is only by a hair...as for who is better right now, I have watched every milan and most barca matches...and until this last month, it wasn't close, messi was top, the last month though dinho has been on fire admittedly and been the best player in serie a during that stretch, but not all the way back "since rosario"

24. darek27

darek27 Member

Aug 29, 2008
    "Messi has all talents and "potential" to be equal or even surpassed Ronaldinho's peak. Here we'll have to wait and see"

I think that a better question is :

has Messi a "potential" to be egual or even surpassed R9 Ronaldo's peak and became a better player ?

25. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think he might, but that has to be proved also at NT level.

Club performance is not enough.

He needs at least one Copa America & one World Cup title in order to start being compared to Ronaldinho.

A long ways to go...IMHO.:cool: