Romanian trialist...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by clashcityrocker, Jul 14, 2005.

1. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ...per cybersoccernews (http://www.cybersoccernews.com/ - under 'daily shorts'):

"With Brian Ching sidelined indefinitely, the Earthquakes are trying out Romanian forward Adrian Iordache, 23, who spent his two previous seasons with FC Energie Cottbus of the German second division.

He trained with the Earthquakes in San Jose this week and will do so again next week. He also trained with the Quakes in 2002. "

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    And Colorado is looking to add a forward too:

3. Screech Powers

Screech Powers New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO.
    Montezuma Serrato? They better sign him, or he will get his revenge on them!

4. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: :p

5. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Give him a shot. We all know that ALL the fowards that the Quakes have are not 90 minute players.
    Go Quakes!

6. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    How do you pronounce his last name?

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's close to "eeyor-da-keh". The initial "ee" sound is very short and not a sylable by itself.

8. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is what I heard too, I just didn't type it out as well as you do. I had to ask a Romainian co-worker... :eek:

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Energie Cottbus is not a bad team--they've been in the BL1 fairly recently, and Gregg Berhalter plays for them. I'm not sure what kind of minutes this guy's been getting at Cottbus but if he's good enough to see regular time for them he should definitely be able to hack it in MLS.

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Don't forget that his wife is from Santa Cruz. She may be influencing him to play in SJ. If we add a player, we'll have to change someone's dev status or drop/trade someone. At 23, does he qualify for TI or SI?

11. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    I went on kicker and looked up his profile, but i only found his name, nationality, and birthdate, no statistics at all, that's probably not a good sign...

12. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what Cottbus has on him:

http://www.fcenergie.de/spieler0304/iordache.html

He played 29 games with 5 goals in 2L. That would seem pretty respectable.

He kind of looks like Mutu. If he brings half the skill and none of the chemical problems, he would be a great help.

13. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hannah8

hannah8 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Looks good to me...sign him. ;)

Hannah

15. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    He would qualify as a Youth International, and could be signed to a developmental player on the roster. So, we have a spot open with Twellman's injury. Just like with US guys under 25, it just comes down to whether he'd accept the developmental roster spot/salary.

From the MLS Roster Regulations:

16. Bebeto

Bebeto Member

Feb 24, 2000
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look so good there, Hannah... well, at least we know he jumps...

You wouldn't catch Bebeto just ball-watching!
    :D
    Sign Bebeto!

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    61 matches and 7 goals in BL2?

I'd want to see how many minutes he got. If they've been bringing him on as an 85th minute sub, he could rack up a lot of matches without playing a lot of minutes.

In any case, it will be a question of both how well he plays in his trial, and how well he fits in with the team.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love Google!

So he's played 1752 minutes in, I think, 61 matches with 7 goals? That's still not terribly impressive.

He's also only 5'9". Maybe we should look for someone a bit bigger? Or give Nash more minutes? We've already got two short forwards, I think we need some height on the front line.

I don't read German. Anyone want to try:
    Energie Cottbus

I think that link only goes to their home page. You need to navigate to statistics.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

19. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Using some limited German skills, here's what I got from the site:

He has played with Energie Cottbus for two seasons. Stats for both years:
    2003/4: 29 games, 724 minutes, 5 goals, 2 assists, 2 Yellow cards, 1 Red
    2004/5: 32 games, 1752 minutes, 2 goals, 4 assists, 4 Yellow cards, 0 Red
    Total: 61 games, 2476 minutes, 7 goals, 6 assists

The team played in the Bundesliga second division during this time. The previous 3 seasons they were in the Budesliga first division. The team record was:

2003/4: 15 W, 10 L, 9 D (52 team goals scored)
    2004/5: 10 W, 15 L, 9 D (35 team goals scored)

So, he has been only a small part of their offense (7 goals out of 87 goals scored), for whatever reason his stats were worse in his second year even though he got more than twice as much playing time (but the team stats were worse).

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks LGF!!

Perhaps he got worse service in his second season?

It's hard to say. We'll have to trust in Dom as far as evaluating his skills. Recall that Dom and Frank passed on Jonny Walker, and that was a good call.

At least he's looking outside the league. So that should make other MLS teams believe that they need to make us a good offer if they expect to trade with us. Hopefully, Dom finds a good player or two somewhere.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

21. SeamusBrewer

SeamusBrewer New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    SF
    I'm trying to get some info from some friends I have who follow Romanian players and I know a couple of people in Germany, so if I can uncover anything I'll let you all know.

22. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If his wife is from Santa Cruz then shouldn't he be a full blown, David Regis-esque, nat eligible, citizen?

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unless she works for the State Department or something like that, which was the loophole for Regis. In ordinary circumstances a spouse of a US citizen must reside in the US for 3 years after receiving a green card before being eligible for naturalization.

24. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    But if he is married to an American, he'll be eligible for a green card very quickly if not immediately. I think green card holders do not need to use SI or TI spots.

25. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    It doesn't really matter to the Quakes, they have plenty of Senior and Youth International spots.