Romain Gall at Malmö FF (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 5, 2012.

1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #301 punintended_13, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    45 minutes gone. He's looked okay. The most action he was getting for the first 25-30 minutes was checking back for the ball 40-45 yards from goal. He hasn't had an opportunity to run in space with the ball.

He's eager to make a difference he's just having a hard time finding the space. They're playing against a very organized team. He has lost the ball trying to dribble in really tight spots 3 or 4 times, but other than that he's been clean when passing.

He had one nice moment when he picked the ball up on one of those check backs and needled a pass through the lines and almost linked up with the striker for what would've been a highlight reel goal. At the end of the half he got the ball on the wing and cut it back to a forced a nice save. He should've had his first goal a few moments earlier when Malmo's #10 (not the position, the guy actually wearing #10) was 1 v 1 with the Gk with Gall standing right off to his left, but he decided to take the shot right at the keeper and Gall was left holding his arms out.

He had a really bad moment at the end of the half when a teammate was trying to pass to him in the midfield, but Gall moved away from the ball to receive it and an opponent stepped in and took the ball which made the whole stadium groan.

All in all, he was the most offensively aggressive of all of his teammates, but you can tell he's still trying to figure out where they're going to be making those runs.

Gacm32, gunnerfan7, superdave and 13 others repped this.
  2. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Where are you watching?

3. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    46'- Immediately demands the ball and has a nice shot from like 25 yards out that just misses the near post.

48'- finds another pocket of space in the middle and unleashed another shot from far out that doesn't miss by much. He's been all over the field in the beginning of this half. Getting applause from the fans.

50'- tracks back and wins a ball that leads to a counter opportunity

56'- Game now tied 1-1, time for Gall to play hero here.

62'- Malmo makes an attacking sub and it's not for Gall, which is a good sign I guess. He's gone quiet after a strong first 10 minutes of the half.

65'- Nice little skill from Gall to take a touch into space and open up the field for his team which leads to a foul at mid-field. Play is restarted and Malmo score an absolute screamer after a long ball from a defender. 2-1 Malmo

68'- Receives the ball from the left in the middle, turns his defender and finds a teammate on the right.

69'- SO CLOSE!!! Gets the ball in the middle, beats his defender and unleashes a great shot on goal that forces a great save from the keeper. The crowd loved that. The ball goes out for a corner and ironically enough he had a sub waiting on him. That's all he'll get for today. He comes off to a ton of applause from the home supporters.

4. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    These are great (and encouraging updates)...thank you!

5. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Some comments from Malmo fans:

for a first match with the new team ... in addition to a new stadium ... I think he looked really exciting. So quick and smooth with the ball. Seems to have a good shot too! Think we will get a lot of benefit from him. Thought his outing showed more than Antonsson's minutes so far!

Gall was open on two occasions for a goal but did not get the ball. Perhaps it's because both Mackan and Carlos simply are not used to having a player as high as them playing next to them. I think Gall looks super-intensive, and will give MFF a new offensive dimension!

Gall dares and feels fearless. Will grow enormously with us. Will make us better at attacking.

Do not understand anyone who judges Gall. He lost some balls, sometimes in a relatively dangerous position - absolutely, but good movement patterns and speed. Maybe thinks a little bit too much in some situations, but I think he will be a great addition in the long run. And so on, he has not been very bad today.

He had a hard time in the first half with losing the ball but he's been fine offensively, which should have resulted in 2 goals for him.

6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a mid season transfer I would expect him to pick up where he left off after some starts. It's good that he didn't give the coahc a reason to not start him again. That's the main objective in these first games with a new club.

7. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I’m excited to see Gall with the senior team... watched him with the u20s and he was lights out!! Deserves a call up

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So you were just going to post my work and not credit me?

I'm jk lol.

Brandinho, Gacm32, gunnerfan7 and 9 others repped this.
  10. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really sorry. Is that you that posted that on Reddit? I honestly had no clue.

11. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All jokes mate. I think what had me laughing the most was that I was "someone" haha.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The keeper made a great save to prevent a goal from Gall.

13. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What position was he playing seemed to be in the middle and not out wide.

14. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was playing CM from what it looked like

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sport/fotboll/allsvenskan/jag-var-ren-och-hade-oppet-mal/
    Translated:
    Romain Gall could have scored in his debut for Malmö FF. If only Carlos Strandberg or Markus Rosenberg had been less selfish.

"I was completely clean and had an open goal," said the French-born American. Former GIF Sundsvall player Romain Gall had his first minutes in the Malmö FF shirt on Saturday. And it could have ended with a goal- or two.

"It was absolutely amazing. Playing on an arena like this and watching the fans support us and be loud the match through. That's what you play for as a player. It is definitely different compared to Sundsvall, many more supporters here," says the 23-year-old.

Against Norrköping, Gall played in a central offensive midfield role and could have scored two goals. Before Markus Rosenberg scored a penalty, he had the opportunity to release the ball to a stand-alone Gall and then Carlos Strandberg had the same chance later.

"We talked about it after the match. Especially when Carlos Strandberg had the ball and it felt like I was completely free and could have got it. Maybe I'll get it next time," Gall says.​

Gacm32, gunnerfan7, KenC and 7 others repped this.
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So I guess he called out his teammates by name in the press after his first game? Welp, love the confidence.

17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Lol my first thought too. You’ve been there for like 10 minutes and your blasting teammates. Yikes. You better score regularly. Hope he does.

18. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He was right to be upset at his teammate, imo. When I was watching it live, I couldn't believe they didn't pass it. It would have been a tap in.

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Markus Rosenberg himself praised Gall's play after the match.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #320 LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Pretty impressive the success Rosenberg had since he rejoined the club. Flopped in the Premier League, but he's got like 3 titles for Malmo and several Champions League matches since joining.

Out of recent Swedish strikers (other than Zlatan and Henrik, he has to be the most successful). Berg and Toivonen at the WC were barely present and only seemed to have success in mid-tier leagues.

The Irish Rover and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And, funny enough, he and Zlatan both came through the Malmo academy at the same time. Rosenberg then took Zlatan's spot in the senior team when Zlatan left for Ajax, and he later arrived at Ajax a year after Zlatan left for Juve.

Always chasing Zlatan, but then, who isn't?

22. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Strange, doesn’t he normally play on the wing.

23. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Excellent point. I don't think Rosenberg is a fan of his. I remember Euro 2012 Zlatan basically blasted him and several other members of that squad.

25. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Malmo..... don't look good. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gall subbed in soon after halftime if this keeps up. He was their most consistently dangerous player going forward last game and right now they look toothless in a really important game.