Roma vs Siena [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by GianPaolo, Nov 27, 2004.

1. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Roma defaeted Siena 4-0 today.
    Anyone have any thoughts on the game?

2. fullgore

fullgore New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Canada
    Re: Roma vs Siena

It was actually 4-0 but whatever :p

3. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US

Finally A Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After the match was temporarily called due to the THICKEST fog I have ever seen, in the 11th minute. Finally, the wind picked up and the match resumed. Cassano had 3 assists (if you believe in assists). Basically he had a great match. AS Roma played very well and deserved to win.

Remember to put the [R] in the thread title!

5. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's more like it Roma! Totti could have done more but he was there when it counted for the goals. It's great to see Cassano playing instead of bitching.

The [R] is kind of implied in the thread title but you really need to watch out, it could get you a yellow.

6. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US

Does anyone know where i can get highlights of the match? How did Totti play?

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line

Other than the shot that hit the post just before the game was delayed I can't remember a serious threat from Siena. I think this is due to three reasons (1) Siena doesn't actually have an attack (what happened to Flo? He was doing great until he went to Rangers--oh how he has fallen). (2) Roma's defense played well. (Curfre still scares me. This guy needs to be a fourth option--I would play Candella if he can play right back before Curfre). (3) Roma's midfielders did very well controlling the midfield and holding Siena's anemic attack.

Montella was in the right place at the right time. And he and Cassano were in a good rhythm for the first time as far as any of the matches I've seen. If they can play like this from here on out, Roma will be in good shape. (Of course many of has have been saying this everytime Roma wins and then the next match out we get crushed.)

The major complaint I have, one that is starting to sound like a broken record, is that Mancini isn't cutting it. His corners were horrible, most of his crosses were way off (couldn't get the ball off the ground actually), and he seems to halt the general flow of the attack. He had one nice give and go with Totti, if memory serves me correct, but other than that his contributions were nil. This is going to be a problem in the long run since Totti is really the lone midfielder who is creating chances for Montella and Cassano. The good thing is that Cassano and Montella can return the favor by setting up Totti.

Normally I would say that poor form may just be a temporary thing (i.e., I would say that about Ronaldo in La Liga) but Mancini has only had one good season in Serie A. Maybe last year was the fluke and this is the real Mancini. Take care.

8. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Awesome game :D Montella is the man this year and Italy defintely have to bring him on national team ;)

Totti had a bad game and still scored 2 goals ... that tells you how amazing he is and Cassano was in the Christmas giving mood tonight lol

If we keep playing like this ... NO team can stop us !!!

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

Wow, what crazy conditions at the beginning of the match.. it was almost as if Roma was playing before the gods.. anyways.. a dominate performance after the break (i think the first half was just so blase w/the restart/stoppage/etc).. The most arrogant and selfish player with 3 assists?? incredible.. and all 3 were top quality. still a long ways to go but a real strong performance from Roma. Siena really didnt have a good chance to take. Finally Totti seemed interested in the second half.. oh poor marking on that set piece in the first half.. where is mexes?? cant believe he doesnt start.. at any rate.. good result. And what more can you say about montella?

10. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    mancini

so who would you put in to replace him?

11. Shawshank

Shawshank New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Re: mancini

Man, same thing happened a while ago we beat Cagillari 5-1 but then we got owned in later matches. I am so happy to see Cassano again, also I have highlights and they're pretty small. If someone has webspace , I could up it

12. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line

This is a good question given the injuries in the midfield at this point. I would look to buy when the transfer market opens. I can't offer a specific example when the market does open because I don't follow the leagues that might have emerging talent at an affordable price (e.g., Dutch, Portugese, or Brazillian). I somewhat follow Argentinian matches. Teves would be nice but he's going to be expensive. I know he plays a position similar to Totti (part striker part central midfielder) but he could float. Similarly Riquelme would be a very nice fit. I don't know if Barca still owns him and I do know that Villareal aren't likely going to sell (if he's been sold by Barca to Villareal) if they are still in the hunt for the UEFA Cup.

But dealing with the squad Roma have, when Dacourt returns I would bench Mancini and push De Rossi out wide. De Rossi has shown that he can score and that he can move the ball but too often he just seems to blend in (not really taking charge of the midfield). Perhaps, if he was slotted as a more attack-oriented midfielder he would succeed in that role. At the end of the day, injuries dictate that Mancini plays right now. But he has been more of a hinderance than a help this season. With a healthier team and options in the transfer market, I think Mancini sits. Take care.

13. Shawshank

Shawshank New Member

Oct 25, 2004

MAn, I seriously suggest Roma look into buying Iranian Offensive Midfielder Ali Karimi, this guy is absolutly amazing. He's done really well over the summer, in a friendly "Iran vS As Roma" he did some amazing things, please , please check this video and give me ur opinion on him. Video has his games versus Germany (makes ballack slip) and AS Roma, watch and comment

Ali Karimi Video

NOTE" The guy who made this video is a bit of a fan , some of the things he says are kind of exaggration, I only gave him the clips, he made the compilation and music, but what matters is the videos of Ali Karimi