Roma in the Coppa [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by SueB, Nov 18, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Antonio Cassano and Francesco Totti are among the group pf players called up for Friday's first leg of Roma's round of 16 matchup with Siena. Montella was left off the roster after appearing for Italy yesterday although De Rossi is included (but I'll be surprised if he starts). Mancini was also allowed to rest. Here is the full list:

Aquilani, Briotti, Candela, Cassano, Corvia, Curci, D'Agostino, De Martino, De Rossi, Ferrari, Grillo, Mexes, Mido, Pelizzoli, Perrotta, Sartor, Scurto, Totti, Virga

2. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    FINAL:
    Roma: 1
    Siena: 2

A tough loss for Roma...

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Not that the Coppa matters THAT much, but that Roma couldn't even beat Siena at home is yet another sign of the times. Totti almost saved the day when he came on in the second half and tied it the game, but Flo's late goal won it for the Tuscans. I'm amazed De Rossi started - AND played the full match - after featuring heavily for Italy on Wednesday. I guess he's only 20 and full of energy, but still...

Curci; Sartor (1' st Scurto), Mexes, Ferrari, Candela; Aquilani (1' st Totti), Perrotta, De Rossi, D'Agostino; Mido (35' st Corvia), Cassano

5600 fans showed up at the Olimpico. Must've seemed like the Bayer game all over again. ;)

4. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Curci; Sartor (1' st Scurto), Mexes, Ferrari, Candela; Aquilani (1' st Totti), Perrotta, De Rossi, D'Agostino; Mido (35' st Corvia), Cassano

Was their really subs in the first minute. If so why didn't Totti start?

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Sorry, the Italian tabellino notation is terribly confusing. They list the time for each half and indicate the half by pt or st. pt = primo tempo, st = secondo tempo, so 1' st means the sub took place at halftime.

I think the reason they do it this way is because, if you use continuous time from 0 to 90, it can be confusing when you say 47'. Is it 2 minutes into injury time of the first half or 2 minutes into the second half? In other countries, they solve this problem simply by writing the former as 45+2, but in Italy they do it as I explained above.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma should try and do well in the Coppa just to reach the final and secure a Uefa Spot for next season...

7. Shawshank

Shawshank New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    what , if u win this cup ur in champions league automatically?

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you win the Final of Coppa Italia, you get a UEFA Cup berth, not a Champion's League berth. If it was a Champion's League berth at stake, many teams would take it seriously. But, an example of an exception is from 2 years ago, the Roma vs. Milan final. Milan was already qualified for the C. League so they did not need the UEFA berth. So the UEFA berth was given to Roma win or lose(They lost on 4-2 aggregate).

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Second leg is Thursday - game kicks off at 11:30 am EST. Even though the game is away, I see Roma overturning the 2-1. Siena is in a real bad patch right now, just changed coaches, and in the relegation zone. They'll probably be more concerned about the upcoming league match (a death struggle with Atalanta). But we'll see .... winner gets Fiorentina in the quarters.

10. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    This time, however, they did manage to resume play after a delay of an hour. Roma leads the game 5-1 now (and 6-3 on agg). BTW, this game is in Siena. It's not clear which fans were at fault, but of course everybody jumps on it right away because Roma's involved. :rolleyes:

Goals from Dellas, Totti, Cassano, Montella, and Corvia. Certainly no second string team for Roma!!

12. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Is Roma back?

13. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    This win is great. It wasen't against a great team but none the less i love many goals.

14. Carletto Mazzone

Carletto Mazzone New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Sounds like it was the Romanisti. Apparently they cursed at Totti as he went to the curva to ask them to stop putting them in his dog house and putting his Roma future in question: http://it.sports.yahoo.com/050113/4/5o6o.html

15. Shawshank

Shawshank New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Awsome, we're still in it. GO ROMA!!!

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Roma has been ordered by the FIGC to play their next home match in the Coppa (scheduled for Jan 26 vs Fiorentina) at a neutral site, behind home doors, after the game at Siena was disrupted by travelling fans throwing smoke bombs onto the field of play.

17. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Roma=Violence

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Roma's appeal was successful - in part. The Fiorentina game will be played at the Olympic Stadium, but it will still be behind closed doors.

19. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Roma fans... (sigh)

That's why I love them haha.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Now Roma's punishment has been reduced again under further appeal. No closed-door ban - just a fine. :rolleyes:

21. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Roma hosts Fiorentina at the Olimpico on Wednesday in the first leg of their quarterfinal match. Pretty wierd since they just played on Sunday, but I'm sure the lineups will be quite different.

Here is the list of players on the squad for the game:

Aquilani, Cassano, Corvia, Cufrè, D'Agostino, Dacourt, Dellas, De Rossi, Ferrari, Mexes, Montella, Pelizzoli, Sartor, Scurto, Totti, Zotti, Cerci, De martino, Freddi, Simonetta.

although Sartor is reported to be headed to Genoa on loan and may already be with the Serie B team. The last three on the list are Primavera (U-20 team) players. Young Daniele Corvia is expected to start in place of Totti.

Game kicks off at 12 noon EST.

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Roma's lineup vs Fiorentina:

Zotti, Ferrari, Mexes, Dellas, Cufre, Aquilani, Dacourt, De Rossi, Montella, Corvia, Cassano.

Pretty much the regular team except for Zotti and no Totti (had to write that :).

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Roma won the first leg 1-0 on a first-half goal by DeRossi. Not a safe lead by any means, but no away goal was conceded. Scurto, D'Agostino, De Martino were second-half subs coming on for Mexes, Dacourt and Corvia. Rumors have D'Agostino being transferred to Messina in the near future, so I wonder if this was his last appearance before moving to another giallorossi. If so, he could play for Messina against Roma in the Olimpico on Sunday.

24. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    Re: Fiorentina vs. AS Roma [R] Pre/Post Match

Sweet Roma 1 Fiorentina 0
    Goal from De Rossi in the 40th minute.