Roll on Inter

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by martymarts, Nov 5, 2003.

1. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Tonight's results were exactly what we needed! Inter will need to play for the win, at the end of the month, and Moscow may well be coming to Highbury looking for points. That means more open games, and that will suit our preferred style of play.

At Highbury, I think we will be able to play EPL style, but, we absolutely must to keep it tight at the San Siro. The back 4 picks itself and I believe we should play a strict 3 man defensive midfield of Edu, Gilberto and Parlour with Pires and Wiltord sitting in behind TH14 (4 5 1). If we had enough coverage I wouldn't travel Freddie!

I know The Scum and Brum come before Inter, but, I'm assuming those games will take care of themselves!

Come on you Gunners

2. psycho64

psycho64 New Member

Nov 1, 2003
    Shepton Mallet
    it would be really great to beat inter away, wenger just has to keep the boys focused.

i think that if we win (and kiev/moscow draw) there the group standings would be:

Inter 7pts
    Kiev 7pts
    Arsenal 7pts
    Moscow 6pts

that would leave the group wide open for the last match.

my line up is:

---------Jens---------
    ----Lauren--------Sol---------Ashley
    -----pires---edu--silva---kolo------ray
    --------------TH14----------------

3. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    my line up is:

---------Jens---------
    ----Lauren--------Sol---------Ashley
    -----pires---edu--silva---kolo------ray
    --------------TH14---------------- [/B][/QUOTE]

If you look closely I think I've figured out our problems in Europe, mates

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly..

I think we are in a beatable group. We just need to start crushing opponents with clean sheets. It is quite feasable that we can advance.

I'm dying to shut my Israeli LFC fan friend up...he is constantly dogging me about AFC failures in the CL. While his weak Reds are midtable, he actually thinks the can compete for the title this year.....ROTF LMAO

5. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Anyone have word whether espn2 is still planning on carrying the Inter game as their matchday 5 feature on the 25th? Dallas....any idea?

6. DBecks

DBecks Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Houston, TEXAS
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter match

Since there's not a Madrid or ManUre game then, they f#cking better. (Not that I'd rather watch either of those two teams, obviously, but ESPN often feels they're the only teams worth showing every damn time). But who knows, they might pull some crap and end up showing the Juve/Gala match, even though it holds virtually no implications for the next stage. Or even better, they might give us the royal shaft and show some sweet-ass bull riding!

7. CraigN

CraigN New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Scotland
    i think we will get a result at inter, ideally we would want the others to draw aswell.

but the way things turned out last night was perfect, altho was tense as hell to watch :(

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The away game at Inter should suit us as the onus will be on them to attack as the home side allowing us to play on the counter. I'm not getting over-excited though, they are a top class outfit who demand the utmost respect.

9. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of the 4-5-1 formation, but I think that it's very appropriate in this situation. The above lineup looks like a great XI, especially with Parlour in the middle. He's always good for toughing out a midfield battle and I want to see our Brazilian RP15 (Edu) keep up his quiet work. That being said, I think that Edu is one of the most under-rated mids in the game today. IMHO.

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Actually, it would have been a lot better had Inter won and then won its next game. That way they would have been more likely to field a younger, more beatable side.

As it stands now, even if they win their next game, they would go in to their final match against Arsenal most likely needing a point to ensure going through.

Hmm, an Italian side at home needing a point. That's a recipe for a boring foul-fest.

Anyway, we will still advance with two more victories.

11. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Re: Re: Roll on Inter

Actually, Arsenal is Inter's next CL match, so, even if they had won yesterday, chances are they still would have fielded a competitive team at the San Siro. But like someone else said, I'm hoping that they press a little at home, knowing that they need a win to move on and not wanting to let it wait until they have to go to Kiev in December. That will open things up more and not allow them to play their game the way they did on Matchday 1.

12. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    ALL RIGHT once and for all that is NOT my line-up and it simply is NOT a 4-5-1...look closely it is a 3-5-1(check the names)and while we do well enough with TEN men in ENGLAND I think that line-up in Champions League Play might draw even more criticism than Wenger gets now about Europe...

13. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Volz -- Toure -- Campbell -- Cole

Lauren -- Vieira -- Edu -- Pires

Wiltord -- Henry

when do we get the german back anyways? would love to see him in the back.. im probably gunna get torched for that comment... c'est la vie~

14. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Volz can be recalled at any time, so long as Wenger gives Fulham 24 hours notice. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him in the lineup either, as I'm curious to see if he can give us some solid work at the back so we can counter more effectively by making Inter work that much harder for chances.

15. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    It'll be a good game if, and only IF, Inter have to win to stay alive. If they've got it wrapped up, we're f-cked three ways from Sunday, cause it'll be snore/defensive-fest.

If we get third do we still qualify for the UEFA Cup?

16. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    2 draws will see Inter go through, unless Moscow beat Kiev. If Inter beat us they are through. It is unlikely that they will won't to go to The Ukraine looking for points, which should make for a more open match at the San Siro!

Come on you Gunners!!!

17. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Re: Re: Re: Roll on Inter

My bad. I agree that no matter yesterday's result, they would field a good team in their match. So hopefully that will work out in our favor.

18. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Well let's hope ESPN don't pull a fast one and change schedules at the last minute!

I have to be honest and admit to having a sinking feeling about this game. I think we should play for a draw, looking to steal a goal on the break, and hope the other results go our way. I don't believe we can go to the San Siro and take the game to Inter.

There are things to be optimistic about though. RP7, Freddie and Kanu are running into a good vein of form. Rayzer will be available to shore up the right side and TH14 is the best player in the world and that's official!

My startring line up is;

Lehman

Parlour Toure Campbell Cole

Ljungberg Edu Silva Pires

Kanu Henry

If Gilberto's injured/knackered then Cygan in the centre with Rayzer right midfileld, in front Kolo, with Bob in the middle and Freddie on the left!

Come on you Gunners!!!

19. CraigN

CraigN New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Scotland
    There is no point playing for a draw we have to win this game. A draw isnt the end of the world but it will mean we will go into the last game hoping other results go our way.

I think we should just go out there and play our normal game, Inter will want to win the game, there is no way they will want to have to go to russia looking for a result.

Martins hopefully wont be playing for Inter, i think we will struggle again vs his pace if he does play.

I really think we will beat Inter, hopefully Kiev and Moscow will draw vs each other, that will probably be the best result for us.

COM'ON U GUNNERS!!!!!!

20. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    If we go there and play our normal game we'll be beaten and we'll be out!

The new Inter coach plays a 3 4 2 1 formation. That's effectively a 6 man midfield. We are weak in the middle right now and don't have players with the discipline to track back and defend the counter or who can intmidate the opposition. Inter do have that discipline and will punish us, like they did at Highbury, if we play too adventurously.

A draw gives us a chance a defeat doesn't. We should play tight and look for a goal from a set piece. There's always the chance of a goal on the break with TH14 in the side. If he get's that chance let's make sure it's a winner; not an equaliser or a consolation!

Come on you Gunners!!!

21. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    With our mid-field depleted and no Bergkamp, why not play Freddie up with Henry? He truly looks to be back in the form that made him our most important player during our last Championship Run-In and has played well in that role before. And with Freddie a defensive liabilty on the right you could play Parlour or even Kolo wide in mid-field and play Keown with Campbell and take a chance on Cygan on the right in back since Kolo will give him solid support back from mid-field. No matter I think any win will be pure smash-and-grab, but not at all surprising...

22. BayouGooner

BayouGooner New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I don't think there's any way you risk a 3 man back with Vieri, Martins (that kid is nice!) and Recoba. Espcially with such attack minded wingers like Pires and Ljungberg. That's a counter attack down the flanks waiting to happen. Why mess with success and break up the solid pairing of Kolo and Sol? Arsenal should also hire a limo and drive Bergkamp to the game. Here's my line up:

Jens

Kolo - Sol - Cygan - Ash

Pires - Parlour - Gilberto - Edu - Ljungberg

TH14

TH14 draws all the attention no matter if there's another striker playing next to him so I would dispense with that striker and opt for a possesion game. The extra man in midfield would also aid the defense and allow the others to make more supporting runs for TH14.

Just a thought.

23. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 Arsenal... Henry and someone else... Cole keeps his European hot streak up...

If anyone is at the Continental terminal at Port Columbus, I'll be the one at the bar begging to watch the game at the bar in an Arsenal shirt....

:)

24. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Lauren is injured!

25. BayouGooner

BayouGooner New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Oops. Then slide Kolo and Sol over and put in Cygan.