Roger Levesque retires

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Yoshou, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Kelley just published a story on Roger Levesque's retirement. It sounds like the Chelsea game will be his swan song, so if you want to see Roger play one last time, you know where to be next Wednesday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2018674964_kelley13.html

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The program at UW wouldn't start until late September, no? So why not stick with the club through the USOC final in a month or so? What's the rush, unless he has simply lost his passion for the game?

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't going to get any playing time. Roger is WAY down the depth chart, to the point where he isn't really on it. This might be a situation where the Sounders have asked him to do them a solid and retire so they can free up a limited amount of cap space and a roster spot.

edwardgr repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally sure - but a solid citizen since 2003 ought to get that final championship experience.

edwardgr repped this.
  5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the slumping sales for the Chelsea game might also be a factor...

6. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger has always been more than just soccer hence i think his appeal. I would bet he is just ready to move on. I was not going to the Chelsea match & was going to sell my tix that plan just changed.
    All hail the King!

7. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think you caught a fair chunk of bullseye.

8. Ciscokid

Ciscokid Member

May 3, 2008
    Reno NV now. UGH
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I doubt this was about selling a few more tickets for Chelsea. I can see Roger reading the writing on the wall or being a good soldier because SSFC needed his roster spot. Maybe that sells a few more tickets. I'm now sorry I'm going to miss the game, but I'll definitely try to watch from the road.

End of the day, RL is one of the real good guys in the Seattle Sports scene and it's been a blast watching him play for the last decade. Lots of great memories, and just a truly classy person. I'm glad he got a chance to be a significant part of the MLS Sounders before ending his career.

9. Cethe

Cethe Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll miss that pirate scoring goals for us...but now maybe we can get him to have a beer with us

10. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it has anything to do with the Chelsea match outside of the timing. Sure it could sell a few more tixs but they are already expecting from what I've heard 50k to mid 50k so that's not a bad figure really. I think Roger just saw it as his time to go, I respect his decision.

Anyways that is besides that point. I am gonna miss Roger, he is truly a great guy and I hope he accomplishes all his goals outside the pitch and remains part of this organization in some capacity! Thanks for everything Roger! Hopefully I'll be there Wednesday and give one last salute to Mr. Levesque #48seconds!!!!

11. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm not surprised with Levesque leaving. But I'm surprised he is pursuing a career that is not related to soccer. He could've done a Graham/Keller, but I guess the SoundersFC broadcasting don't have an opening now.

12. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is unfortunate that he will not be available for one last Open Cup match. Perhaps since that competition is outside MLS we could work something out with the league and US Soccer to be allowed to sign him to a 1 game Open Cup contract if he wants it. Will definitely miss Roger but the writing was definitely on the wall. Nonetheless this was a punch to the gut when I first read it.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sorry to invade your thread but I remember meeting Roger in San Jose when he was down here and he seemed like a nice guy although he rarely played. As a reserve, he carved out pretty decent 9 year professional career. Players who have had more of name haven't lasted quite as long. Just curious, because he is retiring mid-season, does that mean they owe him his total salary for the rest of the year? I think that is what they did with Claudio Reyna so that is why I'm asking...

14. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and then there were 7....

Fredy Montero 1/29/2009
    Osvaldo Alonso 1/26/2009
    Brad Evans 11/26/2008
    Steve Zakuani 1/15/2009
    Jhon Kennedy Hurtado 2/18/2009
    Patrick Ianni 1/26/2009
    Zach Scott 3/16/2009

15. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Zach Scott is the last one left of the USL sounders.

16. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another thread invader:

I watched Roger many times when he played for Stanford (and have been happy to see him be successful ever since). I remember reading that his parents never missed one of his Stanford games, even though they lived in Maine. I don't know if it's true, but I always figured that said something about him and his family.

17. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Thanks Roger !!!!

18. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    roger is coming out to an ECS event open to all at Fuel (2nd and washington) today. come and join.

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I didn't know where else to put this-
    flew United today from LGa to IAH and in their Sept "Hemipsheres" magazine in the seat pocket was a nice article about the POR/SEA rivalry and a lot on Roger in the rivalry. Good read for those of you that fly a lot-look for it before those mags get replaced.

FuzzyForeigner repped this.
  20. Ciscokid

Ciscokid Member

May 3, 2008
    Reno NV now. UGH
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the link to the article:

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2012/09/01/kicking-up-storm/

"In the pocket of the U.S. best known for coffee, rain and grunge, there exists a fanatical obsession with "the Beautiful Game." For both Portland and Seattle, soccer—long considered the redheaded stepchild of American sports—is deeply rooted in the local DNA. The rivalry between the respective fan bases of the two cities’ Major League Soccer clubs, the Portland Timbers and the Seattle Sounders, is as intense and crazed and magical to behold as any other in the country."

metroag repped this.