Rode Duivels: WC 2014 qualifying

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Belgian guy, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Our boys are in group A.

Rest of the group:
    Croatia
    Serbia
    Scotland
    Macedonia
    Wales

Play dates:
    September 7th 2012 - Away to Wales
    September 11th 2012 - Home against Croatia
    October 12th 2012 - Away to Serbia
    October 16th 2012 - Home against Scotland
    March 22nd 2013 - Away to Macedonia
    March 26th 2013 - Home against Macedonia
    June 7th 2013 - Home against Serbia
    September 6th 2013 - Away to Scotland
    October 11th 2013 - Away to Croatia
    October 15th 2013 - Home to Wales

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    To at least get the play-off place, we need to win at home against everyone except perhaps Croatia. And then win away in Wales, Macedonia and perhaps Scotland as well. That would get us to 21 points. Whatever we get home and away to Croatia and away to Serbia would then be gravy.

3. belwingback

belwingback New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Hi Belgian guy :geek:
    Wilmots said we are going to play ten "finals" from now. We'll make it this time!

p.s. What does your starting lineup look like for the Netherlands friendly?

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No one really knows, I think a good starting point would be our eleven vs. England?

5. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Only one game before the qualifiers! Thats what worrying me. Also the british isles teams will fight till the end.

6. belwingback

belwingback New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Okay with that lineup - and would be interested to how Gillet performs if he starts. Thought he had a decent last outing although partially to blame for England's goal.

What do you guys think of this lineup? :D
    Dembele​
    Fellaini​
    Hazard – Witsel – Mertens​
    Vertonghen​
    Poconogli – Vermaelen – Kompany – Alderweireld​
    Mignolet​

7. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Fellaini is a defensive midfielder... also Dembele can't score to save his life and you put him upfront?
    I hope Kevin De Bruyne will get his chance to shine against Holland. I think he could be the missing link. I heard Tchite might finally be eligible to play for Belgium, that would be great news. We are still struggling at the fullback positions though

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Actually, Dembelé might be worth an experiment at CF. I know he doesn't pose much of a goal-scoring threat, but Wilmots wants someone who can play with his back to goal and hold up the ball for Hazard. Dembelé might be the best guy in our entire squad at ball retention, and he has the body to play centrally.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Actually, the fact that the quality is so close is to our advantage. It means that one bad result will not torpedo our chances at qualifying.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Vital Borkelmans becomes the assistant manager. Not really happy about this appointment. He adds very little to the technical staff. You'd almost feel he was appointed solely for being Flemish (with Wilmots, Thans and Walem holding the other key positions).

They could have done themselves a favor and hired someone more tactically apt as his assistant, think Emilio Ferrera.

11. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Can you imagine Kompany or Vermaelen coming from Mancini & Wenger to Wilmots & Borkelmans LOL

12. Shevafan

Shevafan Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Karpaty Lviv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Belgium better make it to this freakin tournament this time. My god so much talent and no results. It's really pissing me off lol

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    make that no decent coaching in the last few years

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    la Belgique - Nederland 4-2

15. LIII940

LIII940 Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Canada
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well this is the second time I have seen Mertens out preform Hazard
    Mertens so far has been better for the National Team than Hazard
    Hope Eden stayed on the bench after he was substituted, or did he leave the stadium again for another hamburger
    In any event it was an important moral booster for the players and the fans.
    We have no more excuses, we look good on paper, but we now have to do it on the field
    The Croatians will not be easy, no slip ups this time.
    For Mark Wilmots sake, I pray we escape injuries and we finally preform to our potential
    Eden Hazard your time has come, get out there and get it done

16. LIII940

LIII940 Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Canada
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Belgium almost always gets good results vs Holland (like they always get bad results vs Germany)

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There is no way Hazard is losing his place, he is revered by the French-speaking media, they will never accept him to be replaced by a kabouter who plays at PSV. :p Even if he continues to outperform Eden.

19. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm liking Wilmots so far. The starting lineup actually made sense: no more Simons, Courtois over Mignolet, Benteke over Lukaku. After the game he was't euphoric and criticized the many defensive errors. Leekens would have declared himself worldchampion after this type of game lol.
    However calling up Ciman doesn't make any sense whatsoever, also I would prefer Naingolan or even Mudingayi over Simons.

Positives from the game: Courtois had a few good saves, I think he is n1 from now on.
    Defour was excellent keeping Sneijder out of the game, I think he has more discipline at this position than Fellaini. Both Benteke and Lukaku had excellent games. Great performances from Mertens and DeBruyne coming from the bench.

Negative: Gillet is a poor option at rightback. We conceded a lot of chances thanks to a poor offside trap. I like how Wilmots actually put an offensive minded player on the midfield but Chadli lacks intelligence and vision on that position. I think De Bruyne should take this place.

20. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I would play like this against Wales:

Benteke​
    Mertens -----------------–-Hazard​
    Witsel – De Bruyne​
    Defour​
    Vertonghen – Vermaelen – Kompany – Odoi​
    Courtois​

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'd put Chadli or Mirallas in the place of either Mertens or Hazard and use one of the little guys as an impact sub. Based on their performances last night, Mertens should start, but I will understand if Wilmots does not have the courage to do that.

I do agree that De Bruyne should be the creative guy in midfield, it's really a no-brainer with his terrific passing and his good outside shot.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    No Fellaini ?

23. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Wilmots won't likely do it, but I feel like the wingers are a little redundant. I'd like to see a diamond-shaped 4-4-1-1:
    Courtois
    Odoi---Kompany---Vermaelen--Vertonghen
    Fellaini
    Witsel------Dembele
    De Bruyne
    Hazard/Mertens (free role)
    Benteke/Lukaku/Mirallas

Realistically, it'll remain a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. While Mertens had a blinding 25 minutes, I wouldn't get too excited, his form has run hot and cold for the last year or so (mostly cold). Chadli is a fine player, but there's just something off about his game. Hazard was terrible yesterday, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk that up to his injured leg.
    I really liked what Wilmots said yesterday after the match; he tempered expectations and pointed out what all of you guys probably saw: mistakes in our backline and man-marking that would be fatal in a meaningful game. Let's be honest, this was a very weak Dutch squad (they'll still qualify for Brazil easily enough, but yesterday they were just poor) so there's no point getting too excited about this result.
    Oh and can the Belgian fans stop whistling during our opponents' anthems. It's embarrassing and classless.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    did they really do that ? :mad:

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't see how you can give Hazard the benefit of the doubt when he has maybe played three good games for us in 29 tries... Mertens record with the NT is far better, regardless of his club form.

I don't expect Wilmots to drop Eden, just because of the implications it would have with the media in the south of the country, but objectively speaking he should not start vs. Wales, unless he totally destroys all comers in the first three weeks of the premier league season.