Rocky Mtn Cup Match #1 • Sat., Aug. 22 • 7 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 18, 2020.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviewing the "highlights" from last night for some tactical analysis in my game recap (posted tomorrow). On all 4 FSL goals the Rapids defense has a two man advantage in players in/around the box, yet all 4 goals were scored under essentially no pressure. Acosta and Price were non-factors defensively in midfield and the center backs were largely lost. To Danny Wilson's credit he actually saw the problem on the first goal and tried to cover for the missing midfield but couldn't get there in time. Abubakar was ball watching on all but the first goal.

Quinn 33 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of shocking how good that show is. Not that it's one of the great shows of all time or anything, but it is far, far better than it has any right to be. Really heartwarming. And you know, any more embarrassing losses and I'm ready to bring in Ted Lasso to coach the Rapids.

Riccardo55 repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its great that Shinyashiki says he's embarrassed by the result. I like the kid, but its fairly meaningless overall. He's a second-year sub player.

Where's Jack Price, as the captain, stepping up and speaking for the players, especially after having a bad game?

Where's Drew Moor, as the senior player on the squad and the only one who's won the RMC, and who celebrated with the fans after getting it back after a long stretch of losses in 2013, who knows what it means to the fans, stepping up and speaking for the players (even though he didn't play Saturday night)?

Where's Robin Fraser as the coach saying that this is unacceptable?

Where's Padraig Smith, who has said in the past (specifically around the 6-0 loss) that they didn't respond well enough as an organization to the outrage by the fans when they've been embarrassed by FSL saying this is unacceptable?

Andre talked about how FSL shows up to play for 90 minutes in these games, while the Rapids show up for 45 minutes or 60 minutes. Maybe that's because nobody in a leadership position in this organization acts like the results against FSL matter.

AlbertCamus, Quinn 33 and Riccardo55 repped this.
  4. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JaMa, isn't that "The Rapids Way" ???

5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in 2018 when we suffered our worst defeat in club history at the hands of this same opponent, I had chatted with Padraig and said it was a major misstep that that club made no real acknowledgement, comment, apology, or gesture to the fans in the days following that match.

His reaction to that conveyed to me that he thought such ideas were absurd. To me that really underscores his attitude towards fans and being humiliated at home by a rival. I'm sure that has a trickle-down effect on the dressing room. Funny enough it was around this time that I was losing faith in what Padraig was trying to accomplish at this club.

6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    They looked like a rec league team in the second half. Thanks to the RSL feed I was able to witness that load of SH&@&&

On the positive side, it really can’t get much worse than that debacle. Only direction is up from here.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! KSE for not allowing us to watch Altitude!!! You obviously knew what was going to happen!”

Sports Yak repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I consider Portland a good team, at home against their biggest rival they (almost) went up 1 - 0 in the first half except VAR spotted an offside in the build up to the wonder strike (no) goal. In the second half they let in 3 unanswered goals for a 3 goal loss -- as I said at home to their biggest rival. I guess I'm mentioning it because misery loves company ...

As a side note there should be something in the laws of the game that makes it illegal to play in jerseys as ugly as the ones Seattle wore.

AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well written analysis Jason.

This, unfortunately, has been the Rapids modus operandi for far too long.

When in attack, we always seem to be outnumbered. When on defense, we always seem to be outnumbered. Even though we throw numbers at both.

Personnel problem? Who knows. We’ve seen world class defending out of Vines (see his game against Carlos Vela for an example). Abubakar last year was a man on FIRE. Rosenberry has always seemed to be solid.

Sure the 4th man rotates with Wilson, Moor, and Trusty. Yet Trusty proved himself in 50 starts for PHI before coming to us, and Moor has a long history of being a solid, no nonsense CB.

Yet all these pieces out together seems to leave us with the whole being less than the sum of its parts.

Same on the offense. We will get the ball in the final third, with numbers, and can’t do anything with it. Heck, our only goal last game wasn’t even a shot. Rubio was just centering the ball and it took a lucky deflection for an OG.

I was a big defender of this team going into this year, and the last two games against FSL....leave a BAD taste in all of our mouths

10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally watched it last night (was away over the weekend).

As everyone has said, the D was poor. We play without a defensive midfielder (nobody in the Cronin/Azira mode, and of course no Pablo). Price provides little defensive support, and Acosta was invisible. When you play without a DM, your CBs have to cover a lot of space unless your lines are very close together. It seems like Fraser's asking Lalas to cover the space and Moor/Wilson to stay home, and that isn't working out too well.

Our attack is pretty good. Most of my concerns are defensive at this point. We've got to get better back there.

11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They could be penalized 3 goals; then it would be a tie.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Underestimated but that was weeks ago before we were good. ;>)