Rocky Mtn Cup Match #1 • Sat., Aug. 22 • 7 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 18, 2020.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    4-1 now. I think our Yardbourough is crying, but it wasn't his fault. Cross to a really wide open guy on the far side.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Lalas done anything good tonight? I feel like he's been in no-man's land on all three of their last goals.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A team desperately in need of a CB. And nobody gives those up.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Last year Abubakar was cromulent. What's up this season?

Sports Yak repped this.
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well, I think it is comforting to feel pre-covid for awhile. Dicks in the background, empty. Balboa is making excuses for the Rapids, but "for a little detail" the Rapids would be winning. Sure, it's 4-1. But still, for few minutes it feels the the pre-covid. The good old days of 2019 when my kids physically went to college and high school.

JasonMa and Sports Yak repped this.
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    FT so it can't get any worse. The Rapids are back (yes those Rapids) but it's August and our first home loss.
    4 -0 required at Real Tin-town to get the Cup back?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any 4 goal win (away goals don't count).

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I retract my earlier statements about the predictions for this week.

Our defense....sucks. Badly. They don’t tackle. They don’t press. And they certainly don’t mark.

Our offense....is generally afraid to take shots

Maybe Benezet was out sick tonight. Sick of this crap.

At least Namli showed up and played well tonight.

I’m tired of this. But hey, that’s what life is like as a rapids fan, yeah?

jrowe13, Quinn 33, Totoro and 2 others repped this.
  9. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    1-0 first half. 4-1 loss. I didn’t get to watch, but it’s hard to imagine a more unacceptable result.

When RSL beat them 2-0 in the first game back, they could have given up four. Wondering about Frazier. Sigh. I thought we were past that.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F.r.a.s.e.r.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reportedly out with a lower body injury.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  12. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half was decent. Fairly even, but I liked that we had a few sustained possession attacks into their box. Second half mostly even until their goal. Our defense looked pretty bad, often not picking up their man quickly enough, not stepping quickly, giving up too much open space, etc. I think the second goal Yarbrough is mostly to blame. He fumbled a ball that he should have scooped up. When we went with three in the back (Kei replacing Wilson), we were exposed and they killed us. Sure, two close shots by Shinyashiki and Namli that could have tied it at 2 and maybe tactics change again, but nope. Kei didn't really do much at all when he came on. Rubio and Lewis were gassed. Acosta had a poor game. Really, only Price and Namli were decent in my opinion. Namli looked great with the dribbling at defenders and towards the goal. Shinyashiki looked good too... I'm sure he's feeling pressure to prove himself again. Benezet was certainly missed. Center back situation certainly needs to improve. Maybe we see Moor and Trusty next game? Anyways... what started as an ok looking performance ended up as a disgrace. RSL made good adjustments, Rapids didn't.

13. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Isn’t the age old adage that in order to still be considered a rivalry, it needs to still be competitive?

1-9-1 over our last 11 vs RSL.

Rod1916, Quinn 33, Sports Yak and 3 others repped this.
  14. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to know what to say when the overall quality of the team is so far behind other teams in basically every facet.

The real question at this point should be how much of this is either Fraser's coaching ability, or Padraig's inability of building a good roster.

It's probably both, but I think its 3/4's the latter over the former. I lost belief in what Padraig was doing two years ago, but I've been holding my breath hoping he could prove me wrong. We're past that now. He's a malignant tumor that needs to be removed at this point.

15. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Butthurt?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :D

16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful, just awful ... another match where it looks like the Rapids didn't make any adjustments at the half. It is hard work being a Rapids fan.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn’t watch the match though I was on the fields behind the stadium coaching in the 2020 Rapids Classic. Weird to be at the stadium but not at the stadium as a game was going on. Anyways..... saw the highlights. Is it safe to say Abubakar had another stinker? Looked to have some fault in 3 of the 4 goals. What’s up with this guy? High hopes and he’s been shit. Was he “playing” for a contact / move last sesson and now taken his foot off the pedal? Are we’re seeing why the Crew were happy to let him go?

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't this the team that started the season looking good? Seems that this lineup is way different. One one hand it is hard to be critical of this goofy "Covid-19" season as no one really understands what to do, so some teams re-emerge looking great, others stale. One the other hand, what were these guys doing since their 2-0 start?

R (disappointed yet again).

Quinn 33, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After sleeping on it, I'm convinced Padraig needs to go.

Literately no measurable progress has been made since Padraig was given full control in 2017. Since then he's been directly responsible for arguably the worst head coaching appointment in MLS history in Hudson, and his subsequent appointment of Fraser is starting to show cracks. Numerous off-seasons and transfer windows have come and gone, and bad contracts have fallen off the books (some of which were/are his), and STILL this roster is a complete mess. He's made a lot of promises that he hasn't kept.

At best, he's incompetent and incapable. At worst, he doesn't care and is a compulsive lair. Either way, he's got to go. The Rapids will never be competitive in MLS as long as Padraig Smith is still in charge.

20. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't figured out why they left Irwin, Moor, Kamara, and Shinysinki on the bench. It's not like a Wednesday game squeezed between a Sunday and Saturday. Was this Padraig or Fraser? They were on the Sub list, so not Covid, eh? So I am OK with trying something new, but wasn't that the tournament's job?

You know, after the coaching change last year, into the start of this year, I had optimism. Others on this thread had direct conversations with the Rapids central figures and similarly thought the Rapids may be on the upswing. I will give them a few more matches, but this is looking like a real life Ted Lasso (definitely worth a watch on Apple TV).

R

Rod1916, Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The infamous Rapids Way editorial was published on Aug. 16th, 2017. Since then we are 1-1-7 against FSL with 7 goals scored and 26 allowed (including the Orlando match which wasn't a RMC match). That includes three 3 goal losses and the 6 goal loss.

In the 38 matches prior to the editorial we lost by 3 goals twice and 4 goals once. The Rapids have never beaten FSL by more than 2 goals and only once have we scored 3 goals against them.

Regardless of what this team may or may not turn into, we clearly have some sort of mental block when it comes to FSL the last 3 years. That has to be solved.

Quinn 33, Andy126 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the reporters involved in the postgame tweeted that Fraser was setting up the team for this 3 game week. One starting squad (as much as possible) for last night, a different one for Wednesday in Dallas, with the goal of not blowing everything on this match, getting points, and then losing the next two.

I have all kinds of problems with that logic, starting with the fact that it didn't work, we lost to a rival, we started off on the wrong foot, and we still have to figure out how to get points from the remaining two games now.

Rod1916, Quinn 33, Andy126 and 2 others repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to see this season out before calling for heads, but that's all the rope that's left. 2020 was promised to be the season and even with the chaos this season has been we don't look like the promised product. But we've see 6 of a planned (now) 23 games. If the next 17 look like most of the season last year I'll have a different opinion than I do now. If they look more like the last 4 games, time for a change.

Quinn 33, Andy126 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids are kinda' the poster organization for "Groundhog Day" repeating the same season over and over......

R

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  25. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Honestly....I get the idea of making sure we do well across a 3 game stretch in 7 days. I get it.

But you don’t pull any punches against FSL. Pull punches on Wednesday. Pull punches next Saturday.

But gosh darn it. Don’t pull punches against FSL.

There are times where you need to win. And then there are times where you NEED TO NOT GET PLAYED OUT OF YOUR HOME STADIUM AGAINST THESE GUYS.

Holy crap. It can’t be that hard to think that way, can it?

Rod1916, Quinn 33, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.