Rocky Mtn Cup Match #1 • Sat., Aug. 22 • 7 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 18, 2020.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Surprised that someone hasn't started this thread prior to today.

Hope some of us are able to watch the match.

@JasonMa quoted in the article linked below:

SccrDon, Stuart95 and JasonMa repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a Soccer game is played and no one is there to see it (either Live or via broadcast), did it take place? ;)

Sports Yak, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask the FSL fans (who will be able to see it)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So glad to see a game thread! That means a game is coming. I get we can't be there in person, but I will take what I can get in the craziness that is 2020!

Rod.

6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Bastards.

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Could we rent a drone and film the game?

unkiemark and JasonMa repped this.
  8. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    No idea if such a thing is possible for all kinds of reasons, but why not an outdoor watch party (a la World Cup experiences in various cities) provided by the Rapids in the Season Ticket Holders lot? Big screen, video feed from Altitude. We all watch in our cars wearing masks and listening to the radio broadcast.

9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Revs did this for the MLS is back tourney. Just sayin it’s definitely possible:

AlbertCamus, Rod1916 and unkiemark repped this.
  10. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to watch on Altitude (I have DirecTV), but I love the idea of an outdoor watch party either drive in movie style or on one of fields adjacent to the stadium sitting on blankets but spread out nicely.

Andy126 and Rod1916 repped this.
  11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was at red rocks last weekend where they put up a movie screen and everyone watched a movie from their cars. I would think *very* doable. My guess is kse wouldn't want to pay for any of it.

Imagine us we could all park out front and cheer loud enough for the team to hear us in the stadium. Social distancing to the max.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Imagine being able to be in the Stadium:
    https://theathletic.com/2011685/202...ce-masks-how-rsl-will-host-fans-at-rio-tinto/

FSL will have up to 5k fans at their home games. Meaning, when the Rapids arrive in Sept, FSL fans will be able to voice their opinions on the match and add their "fire" to the players on the field. I know it's mildly a tangent to this weekends game, but it makes this game feel like an "unfair" home game.

The MLS home field advantage as a whole has gotten a TON of press, player, and coach recognition. So why would the MLS allow some teams to have fans when others are unable? FSL is getting a clear - and arguably unfair - advantage, and an advantage that only select few teams are able to have because of local regulations.

Anyways. It just makes this weekend's game even more important. The rematch against Salt Lake will have their fans in the stadium. Ours this weekend wont.

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the only alternative is no further games, I am fine with any "un-even-ness" happens. Both MLB & NFL have noted that this is a possibility in order to have any form of season, no clue if MLS also put this out to media.

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Put another way 5k fans in Utah will run some (hopefully limited) risk of being infected with Covid 19 and in Colorado that won't be the case?
    If a liberal abundance of caution had been applied from when we first heard of the initial outbreak until now we might be playing with a crowd tomorrow -- and safely doing so?

Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

17. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Avs play at 6. This could be the least watched Rapids game in recent memory.

I was surprised to see the 2-0 debacle didn’t count for the RMC. I’ll predict a 1-1 tie, Kai scoring on a header.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom. FC repped this.
  19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Hope you are correct, but they were the far worse team last month. Basically they got physically dominated, losing every 50-50 ball. If they decide to compete, they should be fine. (Goaltending is still a concern, too.)

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Do you mean in the FSL match or all three?

I don't think they were bad v KFC and Minnesota. V KFC there were some interesting class that hurt their chances and they were very competitive even down 2 men.

There are so many unknowns and variables with this second restart. With no friendlies and no fans in the stands it's hard to know what the mentality will be of either side. Will it be played like a preseason friendly back in February? Will one or both teams be super aggressive and physical given that it's a cup match versus a rival? Any significant injuries for either side?

If the Rapids aren't super fired up for this one, well, then it is time to panic.

Predicting the starting lineup for the Rapids is really challenging given the time off and not knowing what adjustments Fraser has implemented over the last month or so.

Rubio was a ball of fire in the KFC match and same v Minni U. Will he earn a start over Kamara? If so, does that mean Namli will play out wide again? And of course there is Lewis making a case for starting as he leads the league in goals per minute.

How about Galván? He's been in training long enough for Fraser to get a sense of where he fits in. Could he start on one wing and Benezet on the other with Lewis coming on in the final 30 minutes?

My second biggest concern is defending. It hasn't been consistently good since a long time ago. Even at the end of last season and this first two this season the Rapids were guaranteed to give up at least one goal, thus they would need two or more for all those wins.

The biggest concern in my house? Finding a VPN workaround to we can watch the match on ESPN+

Sports Yak repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids fans are way overrating Galvan. The team has been fairly clear that he's a work in progress. I'd be surprised if he got more than a couple of starts this season.

COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Perhaps. I realize that Pádraig has stated that Galván is a "project," but it seems that there will be times when he is needed and has to produce this season.

Benezet and Lewis prefer the left side. That leaves Namli? or Shinyashiki? (Anderson when he's healthy?) on the right. Namli seems to be more suited for the #10 role, but when Rubio's in he's a false 9, so it doesn't leave space for Namli in the center of the pitch. Shinyashiki seems to be struggling so far this season. At this point Nicholson is more of a loss than many of us would have anticipated.

24. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Lineup prediction

Kamara
    Lewis - Namli - Benezet
    Price - Acosta
    Vines - Abubakar - Trusty - Rosenberry
    Yarborough in goal

Last time we played RSL, we had Kelly in. Not that Kelly was bad, but Keegan’s experienced presence was definitely missed

While Moor’s veteran experience is nice, I think Fraser puts Trusty in for his legs, youth, and energy to prove something.

Benezet played both wings in Orlando, so I also thing Fraser gives Lewis the nod for the start on the left wing.

I’m guessing Andre, Rubio, Bassett as the for sure subs. Pending how the game goes, Galvan may come in as a late sub as well.

As for the prediction, I’ve already given the following:
    And I stand by all three until I see the Burgundy boys play.

25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa repped this.