Rochester - The Right Way to Build a Club

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Easybake15, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
  2. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
  3. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jr. Rhinos were once known as the Rochester Mavericks. Always a strong club in the Northeast. They joined a league in the late 90's with most of the youth superpower teams in the NY, PA, OH etc areas (FC Delco and such).

Not sure why they changed their name to the Jr. Rhinos, but they have never been affiliated with the senior team. If they can bring the youth, W-League and men's squads under one umbrella, they will be moving in the right direction (the W-league teams needs some serious work. Not sure if they have won a game in the last two seasons)

4. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    I also agree. Even though I hate the rhinos with a passion I have to admit that they are a model franchise. The MLS has to understand that franchises take time you just cant put a team in a city with lots of people and expect to get 20,000. I dont know what the Rhinos do but the hounds should learn about some of it.

5. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Mutts, the problem is that nobody knows why it's working in Rochester. If anyone did, they'd can it and sell it to other cities.

Had to be at least 50% luck.

6. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    What I dislike about the Rhino's is their...attitude.

Hear me out. It's the owner's attitude.

You have a good team. You have a good fanbase. You have little competition in your market.

What you also have is a CRAP field. I saw that excuse for a field on FSW and it looks awful and plays terrible. It's obvious the ball changes speed when it crosses the turf. Of I was a player I'd be scared to play on it.

It makes me sick that a decent team and organization like the Rhinos cannot somehow find a field to play on that actually makes the game better. The week before I saw the Silverback play the Rampage. Yes, the game drew a lot fewer people. But the field allowed the teams to play on a good field.

The Rhinos at the crap field is like a fine wine in a dixie cup.

I don't have a lot of respect for owners that buy good players and do everything else right, and yet won't use their own money to provide a showcase for their team. Why is public funding a requirement for them? Don't they have pride in their own organization, and team, that they WANT to have a good field and stadium?

I feel bad for the fans there. The owners don't seem to get it, but the fans do.

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester may have the fans and are doing a lot of the right things, but with out your own stadium Rochester is missing a major piece of the big picture. I think you need to look at the Charleston Battery to see a team that is doing it right, ie the youth teams, good community relations, beautiful pitch and facilities, great organization, loyal fans, exciting soccer (despite the fact most teams come into Charleston and bunker down defensively). Now if Charleston could only get another 2,000 people a game and get a bit more atmposhere at the matches, we'd be THE model in the US.

mikey

8. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Good team, ************ field!

I constantly want to chant that at Frontier Field. I think it is an embarrasment to the sport and a shame to have such skilled players play on that mockery of a field.

9. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, the field last week was horrible, but no where, and I repeat, no where in Rochester is there a decent field with enough stands for the fans. A flash back to the first year of the Rhinos, they played their first 7 or 8 games at Fauver Stadium at the University of Rochester. One word - TURF. Granted, the turf there is WAY better than what the Sounders have in Seattle, but the U of R only holds max 3k. I love that field, but you can't have that be an A-league facility. What are you going to do, put the other 7,000 faithfull fans up on the hill to watch the game? They have played some games out at Brockport, but that field is not that easy to get to and doesn't seat that many people. RIT is not good. Niether is Naz or St. John Fisher.

The field sucks at Frontier, but the Rhinos have done plenty to move towards getting their own faciltiy built. But the local politician hacks have hung up the move for some time now. Blame the local government, not the Rhino front office.

Maybe the solution is for the Rhinos so say ****************** it, we'll pay the whole thing and collect all revenues. Concessions, parking, field usage fees for the other soccer programs in the area, etc could add up quickly for them. I think it is time for the organnization to be proactive instead of reactive.

On a parting note, the three games I have seen on FSW are Seattle/Calgary (narrow turf), El Paso/Cinncinati (cow pasture/fair grounds) and the Rochester/Montreal match.

10. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Seniors

It is good to hear that Rochester is trying to develop some younger teams because the people in their stadium are larger senior citizens. They do a brilliant job of busing in folks from the retirement homes in the area. Great for the numbers, not great for growing the fan base.

11. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    Re: Seniors

Good thing they put the extra wide seats in huh?

It's good to see that you have such a clear understanding of our fan base from way out there in Portland.

Time to get my geriatric 30 year old ass to bed.

12. Horta

Horta New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Rottenchester
    The owners of the Rhinos have done everything but take a shovel and dig the foundation. They secured financing, and they did offer to pay for the whole dang thing if the city would just get a location. Here is some of the sad story. The political scum from this city hoodwinked DuRoss into helping them form the "Rochester Sports Authority", or some such thing. They promised quick action on the stadium issue for his support.What do you think happened once they got thier power. You guessed it , nothing. Then they began looking into suburban locations. It took these morons a year to figure out they weren't the Monroe County sports authority. Therefore, they would have no operational say in the running of the new stadium. Of course they lied to everyone saying the suburban location was out because the people didn't want it. Imagine that, polititions that care about what the people want. What a joke. Whats worse is the people around here probably believe them. However there may be a break. Senator Dollinger has proposed abolishing this farce of a sports authority, rightfully blaming them for the lack of action on the new stadium.

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    The right way to build a club? Give me a break. They're the New York Cosmos of the A-league. They have the luxury of shelling out the cash on all sorts of players. Do they get butts in the seat and deserve the right to benefit from that? Yes. But let's not pretend that the Rhinos have been around for a few decades slowly building a fan base and players talent. They're in a good spot for soccer, do a good job of taking advantage of it, and do a good job of managing and buying all the talent they need.

14. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Re: Re: Rochester - The Right Way to Build a Club

Maybe the MLS or the USL needs to learn where the good spots for soccer are. When you want to enter a team into the USL, you pay your fees and start the team. The Rhinos owners did it right when they picked Rochester. Dont take credit away from them.

15. Horta

Horta New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Rottenchester
    The one thing Roch. got, and still gets, is top press coverage. When the team started, even the soccer bashing writers jumped in urging support for the '"new" pro team in town. Usually front (sports) page coverage. Plus numerous player profiles during the season in between games. I don't know what level of coverage other cities get. But it has got to be difficult without that good free publicity. Buddying up with the local press would have to be a top priority when moving into a new market. It's got to be tough in cities like Seattle that have other major league sports getting the front page.

16. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Re: Re: Rochester - The Right Way to Build a Club

Whatever, man. If I was thinking that the best the Rhinos could ever do was draw 10K per season and win A-League championships, then your comparison would be somewhat valid. I'm not - I think all us Rochester supporters think that we can move on to the highest levels of soccer in this country and be successful there. That's a goal, and the Rhinos have laid a great foundation for getting there.

I don't know what "decades" have to do with it. No pro club currently in operation has been around for that long. In their short history, the Rhinos have devoted themselves to advancing themselves in logical and reasonable means, and that was my point. Developing players is obviously part of their success, and is something that will continue to be a larger part in future years.

17. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Just simple common sense

When you define common sense, a picure of the RHINOS will be there, I really hope they capitalize on player development there is some money to be made there .