Robinho Not a Galactico Yet

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jwaldman11, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=336578&cc=5901

Not that we have a shot at him at this point, but I think this was interesting to read. From reading his quotes, particularly the vague threat of "getting in the way of" the manager, it sounds like this kid is quite the primadona. He'll fit right in at Real!

2. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Gotta be fair to the lad here even though he snubbed us...sounds more like he was saying his presence would be a distraction to Gallo whether intended or not - sort of like the Larry Brown - Pistons situation when everyone was talking about whether he was leaving Detroit. All that uncertainty could only get in the way of doing your job properly.
    He's right too - holding onto Robinho now fairly or otherwise will only make it difficult for both he and Santos as he doesn't want to be there and even if he is as professional as possible, the team and coaches know it and simply cannot prepare adequately knowing they cannot count on Robinho being there all year or being focused at all. And not that I could care about Real, but they will get a less effective player the longer he is kept in Brazil when he is determined to leave. In fact I hope that happens to the dirty b*****ds...

3. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    He's polite already compared to the likes of Louis Saha and Harry Kewell.

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I can understand why he snubbed us too though, Luxumbergo was his old coach who led him to victory, and in london he will be just another player and not receive the kind of royal treatment probably given to galacticos in madrid.

5. Bungle

Bungle New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Los Mochis
    He'd fit in very well at Arsenal wouldnt he? What with Arsenal having the best youngsters in the world coming through at the minute and Pires in a will he stay or go situation he could be a perfect replacement. Plus he wouldnt cost all that much, well at least of you consider we could then allow Reyes to go for a fair bit. But at least with Robinho we'd have another amazing youngster but unlike Fabregas, Quincy, Clichy Flamini, Perise etc he's got plenty of experience.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Robinho just played other clubs off of each other just to get the highest price possible.

7. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
  8. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Evidently, it's done. They sealed the deal at the Santos chairman's house, possibly over a BBQ, though that's only a guess.

As far as going for Gerrard, it wouldn't shock me if they took a serious run at him. They probably figure that Zidane, Figo and Roberto Carlos don't have much longer in their playing days, and Beckham is constantly rumored to be coming back to the UK, so they need to bring in the cast for "Galacticos: The Next Generation".