Robert Warzycha..

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ryankozlowski, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    With Robert Warzycha as coach..
    I wouldnt be surprised if John Wolyniec and Danny Szetela start the rest of the season.. :)

polska do boju..

2. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I don't think he's tribal, mate (Mick Dundee).

3. One Clean Sheet

One Clean Sheet New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Why shouldn't Woly and Szetela play?

4. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    you dont think.. wait and see.. and they should both be starting anyways.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they should be and probably will be starting.

The big difference will be the pregame meal - kizska, pierogis and a nice babka.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can we get rid of the mcdonalds fry kiosk and get a pierogi stand? that woould be magical.

7. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    It's already gone!!!

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is way, way, WAY off target, but it's a thought I've often had and I'd like to know what some of you think:

The food in Crew Stadium is a) boring b) lousy and c) the same crap you can get anywhere.

(I left out: "d) overpriced" because stadium food is insultingly expensive everywhere and that's not gonna change)

But I'd like to see some different stuf offered. This isn't the Columbus Clippers, it's soccer. A cheap boiled hot dog and a tray of nacho chips with a glob of artery-clog in the corner is what you get at High School football games and Little League tournaments.

Why doesn't CCS try to do better? Something like the roast beef on your choice of rye or Italian roll at Comisky Park. Maybe try Fish and Chips, or even a decent salad. Or some sor t of Mexican thing, or pulled pork, or - here's a thought - come up with a couple unique, original items.

And let's be honest: it's not snobbery to say that the beer selection stinks. How about a couple decent imports, or at least something creative like some of the Great Lakes Brewing beers or other regional beers?

The guys over at Velma see themselves as "Sprts Marketing" gurus. Well, included in any sports marketing curriculum that I've ever seen is a major section on enhancing the experience through food and beverage.

Ordering up more low-grade hot dogs and adding jalapeno to the nacho cheese isn't cutting it. Make coming to Crew Stadium a unique experience and people might actually want to come back.

9. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, they did at one point have a burrito stand under the east stands. I don't know if they are still there. I guess I'll find out next Wednesday when I return to the stadium.

10. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I say, add football's famous Chicken Balti Pies. Or ANY pies!

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

well ********. i had no idea.

And I am for what Bill's saying, and would it be too ahrd to cater to the vegetarians in the crowd? Perhaps get a fallafel stand there?

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Football's Famous Balti Pies"!! Of course.

Does anyone know if we could get some shipped over frozen? I'd foot the bill and serve them up over at Velma for Mark and his boys.

Maybe a side of chips with curry sauce.

Of course, it should be noted that Sodexho DOES in fact offer decent, edible-by-humans food at Hunt Park.

It's just that you have to be in the Huntington Club, the VIP Balcony or the Stadium Club to get it.

The rest of the people? Let them eat garbage, who cares?

I bet the people who run the place haven't even NOTICED that they only sell swine slop to the average fans.

They themselves no doubt fill up at the BBQ Buffet in the Stadium Club before the game and never go near the concession stands.

They probably also don't know that the best way to blow 40 minutes I know of is to try and buy a goddam hot dog at CCS.

13. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Fvck yes! The chicken and mushroom pie at Shrewsbury was top notch, before they sold out to some mass market 'refreshments provider' of course. Then they became crap, but, curiously, the sausage rolls improved.

14. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    I'm yet to find decent curry sauce over here. Fados try, but fail.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    What the name of the hot dog that is wrapped in a bagette they sell at matches over there? I had one of those at Reading and it was the best damn hot dog I've ever had.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe the Crew should talk to Old Bag of Nails about getting a stand. They could sell their fish and chips stuff while also selling their Pig Iron fare.

17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Didn't we talk about this one time? Or maybe I had this discussion with the "Soon-to-be Mrs." one day after a game when we were talking about the concessions. I really think that'd be an excellent idea -- and seems to be do-able.

I know Mike -- the Old Bag owner -- has some ice-cream-like-truck that's all decorated and has the fryers inside -- they take it around to places in Central Ohio because I have seen it at the Dublin Irish Festival and the Worthington Arts Festival selling their fish & chips.

18. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I like the 'fest' steaks they serve at Franken Stadion in Nürnberg. Marinated beef grilled over charcoal and served on a hard roll with spicy mustard. Now that's living.

19. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    They should put that outside for tailgating. And another that sells booze.

That's one thing the Crew doesn't take advantage of. Everyone goes there a few hours before to drink their own booze, eat their own grub etc.

If the Crew had their own boozer they could shave off a load of the dough spent in Kroger and have it swell their own coffers.

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Nope, we haven't talked about it, but the Worthington Arts Festival is what made me first think about it.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly the sort of thing.

It's called "Marketing", boys: enhancing the customer experience. Making coming out to the stadium a great experience.

McCullers needs to make a rule: all Crew employees are forbidden to eat anywhere but the concession stands. Get their fat lazy ases out of the buffet lines and off the VIP balcony and have them waste 40 minutes buying a bad beer and a soggy hot dog from a functional illiterate and see how THEY like it.

Once they have to eat the pig slop the rest of us eat, rather than the stuff Sodexho serves up to the swells, they'll understand the "total Crew experience" really sucks from agastronomic point of view.

And I notice that prior to McCullers and Wagner descending from Mount Olympus to hobnob with the fans, they first filled up on prime food unavailable to the rest of us.

Either one of THEM ever tried to enjoy a game over a warm Sierra Mist and a bag of Skittles?

22. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! Vegetarians unite! Hot Dogs Out 2005 prepare to commence.

And I don't want to hear any crap about no one eats that crap (non-meat items). I was on a biking trip through W.Va. and stopped a small mom and pop store in Salem, W.Va. (Salem friggin W.Va.!) and they had veggie burgers. Can you believe it?

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem with you lot.

You're never happy with being offered a vegetarian selection. You're not satisfied until the rest of us are forced to eat that trash.

I'm all in favor of providing a vegetarian alternative. A great idea. But don't push your luck.

(And my wife lived in Salem W.Va, when we were going together. She taught at Salem College. I know the town well. )

24. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    how about a curry stand?

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    For what it's worth, anyone can buy stuff in the stadium club. I think the buffet is something like $12 so why bother but they do have import beers there. I used to get Newcastle browns there before my now terminated boycott. I think Anheuser-Busch has exclusive pouring rights in the stadium proper so thank goodness for the tent.

I like the idea of having local restaurants take their event trucks to the stadium. Maybe have a rotation of 4 or 5 of them. I wonder how much they would have to kick back to the Crew to make it worthwhile for all concerned.