Robert Palmer dead

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by obie, Sep 26, 2003.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Insert "Doctor, Doctor, Give Me The News" joke here.

But seriously, he was one of rock's coolest cats.

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - I've got a bad case of heartburn?

- Might as well face it, you're addicted to cholesterol-laden foods.

- Simply irresuscitable.

4. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Presumably there are now four over-made-up angels dancing behind him in the Great Half-Full Arena In The Sky...

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Johnny and Mary is one of my favorite songs of all time. I didn't like his mid-80's glam pop stuff, but he was a cool guy.

Speaking of cholesterol-laden, I've found out why Rutt's Hut calls it a "ripper". 12 hours later it's still givin' me da bid-ness. uggh, time for a yogurt lunch.

6. TruxHalapino

TruxHalapino New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    RIP. Heard it this morning. I will bring my sneaking sally CD from home on my lunch break and listen to it all day today. One of my all time favs.

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Amateur.

Good thing you didn't go for the mummy fingers.

Yeah, Johnny & Mary is my fave Palmer song too, though Looking For Clues is a close second. Those two songs both have some really cool claustrophobic production that give them a kind of spookiness that go with the pop hooks that I really can't compare with any other singles I can think of.

8. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    First John Ritter, now this.

I am no longer in my 30s, so hearing news like this does get to someone my age. You wonder "could I be next to die before my time"?

"Bad Case of Loving You" was my favorite Palmer song and like many people, I am sorry to hear about his going forth from us. RIP.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I told my friend about the mummy fingers and he almost threw up listening to me describe over-cooking hot dogs in oil. (though, he's a bit of a veggie).

I've never seen a restaurant use Crisco as wallpaper.

And say what you want about Palmer, he does have 2 of the top 5 skin videos ever to grace MTV.

10. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Power Station was one of my favorite 80s bands, and Robert Palmer was the natural leader of that group -- the guy who personified "blue eyed soul" more than any guy I can think of.

Still can hear him belting out "some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on" with that great band backing him up.

I think he had THE greatest skin video of all-time -- at least of the 80s.

And "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" was a one of the great 80s club/Saturday night jam hits.

11. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was never a huge fan of his solo stuff, but I loved the Power Station (and I'm not afraid to admit it).

Anyway, RIP Robert. Hope you have a full ensemble of dancers behind you wherever you are.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

13. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Wondering when "clues" was going to come up in this thread. It did have great, tight sound.

And I think that video was one of the first of the modern "video" era. I would see that constantly on late night music video shows -- just the thought of his sleeveless shirt and those cheeseball blue-screen effects brings me back to a simpler time.

On VH1s "80s" series they had a section on his "Addicted to Love" video and it was great to see a series of former stars saying "Damn ... Wish I'd thought of that."

14. bigsmooth

bigsmooth New Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Washington, DC

Oooh, forgot about my man Daryl Hall. I still say Palmer had more of a smooth touch and a classic r&B style, but Hall had the beats and vocals -- didn't DH come out with a new CD recently?

15. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember hearing Sneaking Sally Through the Alley at some college bar one of my first weekends at school. Not too long after that, I'd acquired the record. I bought one of his newer things and liked hearing him on the radio, but none ever got to me the way that first record did.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Amen! Such a great album. Hope your post inspires someone listen to it.

"Hey, hey Julia,
    Your acting so peculiar..."

Love that tune.

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    It's an odd song, but Pride is my other favorite of his.

"Hey Olivia Newton John, What ya say?"

I want to see her in public so that I can chant that at her.

18. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Did ya catch the MetroFanatic.com stickers in the front and in the BRoom?

19. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Front door yes :D, bathroom no.