Robbie Russell

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jri, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Was he on the roster for the match? As much as Albright had his best match in (years?), Russell should be a better option there. Anyone know what happened? (not even a minute of playing...)

2. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    check yanks-abroad.com.

he was hurt. did not make the trip.

maybe next time?

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Very disappointing for him and Brian West. This would have been a good time to trot both of them out there.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I would suspect january training camp would be ideal for russell and west to show their stuff.....

hopefully arena can arrange 3 or 4 friendlies to give a look at them and give the mls off-season guys some match fitness...prior to the ehx kicking off..

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He didn't play against Valerenga over the weekend and YA report that he is nursing a knee injury which needs to be operated upon.

To me, this looks like he may be called in a year from now ... if he's healthy again.

6. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    operation? to bad. we yanks will have to continue hoping we someday get
    to see mr. russell.

hopefully west will be fine for jan camp.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was on the bench and available, warming up on the sidelines he looked like he was fully mobile. RBK are going to use him in the CL matches upcoming, I believe. Then it is most likely under the knife time for RR. I don't believe the recovery time will be too long, but he'll definately be out much of this winter.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Any reports on what the nature of his knee problem is, Speedcake?

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is what is reported on yanks-abroad.com, team doctors believe it is a meniscus tear, but it is still a guess and RR is only suffering sharp pain in the back of his left knee. Orthoscopic surgery will determine the true cause, but it doesn't seem super serious.

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    sounds like the earliest for a russell look would be Gold Cup then??

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a reasonable assumption.

12. 1-X-2

1-X-2 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    can anyone who's seen russel play alot say a little about him as a player. all i know is that it takes a good player to play for rosenborg, though.

13. sabretarheel

sabretarheel Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd agree, but wasn't he the one that DMB absolutely schooled the last time they played? I might be mistaken, but I got that impression from the play by play of PSV-Rosenberg

14. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firstly, so what? Jitterbug is schooling lots of folks these days.

Secondly, RBK's entire defense was out of whack that day (and they remain even farther out of whack now as RR is sidelined). Someone seemed to have been calling ill advised offside traps on Beasley, and others, and it just wasn't working. RR went over to discuss it on more than one occasion with his center backs, it was rediculous.

But still, Beasley proly woulda schooled him against a great offside trap, heh heh.