Robben: the new Cruijff

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Nov 22, 2004.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    My brother told to me two years ago that Robben was going to be the new mega superstar of Dutch football second only to Cruijff and I didn't believe him then, but now I'm starting to wonder. Could he be? He's basically got everything (except for a right foot but that didn't bother Maradona either).

2. orange_balls666

orange_balls666 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    It seems like you have a very good point, we did not see a great deal of Robben's brilliance in Euro 2004, however since his injury he seems to have set the premiership alight. I feel it is quite difficult to compare him to cruyff in the sence that the game is so different know than it was 30 years ago, however I feel in terms of the impact he can have on the game as he grows and develops can be likened to that of the dutch legend.

They are in many ways very similar players with their craft and skill, with the inept ability to beat players and beat them well, also it is nice to see that he can score goals as well, which would give an option to play him upfront if needed.

I am quite excited about the prospect of Robben - in addition to some of the young players we have coming through,- playing on the big stage. I'm particularily relishing the World Cup 2006 as I feel we have a good chance of doing well.

3. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I believe it's too early to say so. Robben is an extremely talented player but to state he might be Cruijff-quality is something you can only see after his active football career. The impact Cruijff has had on Ajax, Barcelona and Feyenoord is huge and can hardly be imitated IMO. In the past the same thing has been said about Van Basten, Seedorf and Kluivert but none was to be as good as Cruijff (although Marco came close). Let's just wait another 10 years, I'd say.

4. orange_balls666

orange_balls666 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Point taken, but he does have the potential.

5. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to thank Robben for taking the time out of his busy schedule to comment on how Beckham & Ronaldo are not welcome in the Chelsea team. Coming from his vast footballing experience, this is good locker room motivational materiel.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's not like he's only played good football in a Chelsea shirt is it. In Holland we've known about his talent for two years now.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    On that note: remember Ronaldo and Romario?

8. feyenoord!!

feyenoord!! Member

Jun 1, 2004
    USA
    now that the EPL teams know who he as and what he is capable of, let's see what happens.

9. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Robben hasn't even had half the impact Ronaldo and (moreso) Romario had in Holland.

He doesn't even dislike haring or appelmoes like both of them. ;) (or did Ronaldo actually like appelmoes when Vermegen let him try it? He might just have)

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He looks like a boerenkool met worst type of bloke!

I'm just making the point that Robben didn't develop from an average to a great player all of a sudden just because he went to the premiership. He's always been excellent, and excellent performance in the Dutch league does often promise great things. Mr. Abramovic isn't shopping around for players in Holland all the time for nothing!

11. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    My guess is that Romario and Ronaldo were more paaling types...

anyway, out here in London it seems as though the focus is more on Mourinho, Lampard and Terry than Robben... he's there, yes, but isnt the center of media attention.

And by the way, I wonder if Kezman is kicking himself for moving to Chelsea. Doesn't seem to be getting very much out of it!

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Boy, it sure would be if Chelsea was playing in La Liga. Real has to qualify for the knockout stages of the CL for it to even potentially matter.
    Oh, and no, we don't really need Beckham or Ronaldo. Thanks though.

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You'd have Ronaldo on the bench though, right? :D

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
  15. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You couldn't afford them. ;)

16. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    there is only one!!! and he's brazilian.. you know that Nice~

17. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    I agree that Robben does have a potential.
    Although it is too early to compare with Cruiff, he surely have a chance to grow into a superstar.
    One thing I doubt is, he plays left wing not in FW or attacking-midfield.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This has been discussed before but I'll say it again: wingers to the Dutch and in the Dutch system are forwards, not midfielders.

19. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    EPL Player of the Month

Robben just named EPL POM for November. Highly deserving imo.

20. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Re: EPL Player of the Month

And celebrated with yet another classy goal.... if he keeps this up he could turn out to be the real deal

21. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    make that four years........at least when it comes down to us Groningen fans. Of course the general public and the mainstream media didnt recognize it immediately. Not very surprising of course, footie journalist tend to reach down their pants whenever a certain youth player from Feyenoord or Ajax has managed to kick a ball straight for 5 yards.. But when a certain talent emerges at another club, it's: "only a talent from <insert a non-top3 club here>"

22. rivellino1

rivellino1 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    New York City
    Arjen Robben, the next Johan Cruyff? Who in the hell wants that type of pressure?

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Too true. I still remember how the media were gobsmacked that a premiership club would even want Collins John (Collins who?). While that same Collins John had been topscorer in the Dutch youth leagues since he was 14. I also remember Collins scoring a beautiful hatrick in his second or third Twente game at the age of barely 17 - they hardly even bloody mentioned it on Studio Ajax! If he'd been an Ajax player we all know what would have happened.

24. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    White-Green

Any other Dutch hotshots coming through Groningen that we should be watching for? Or any other of the smaller clubs?

25. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: White-Green

ive heard a lot of good things about kruijswick (sp?), a central defender.