Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    robben with another brilliant game, scores, assists, and creates chances all over the field. it was funny to actually see 2 defenders mark robben near the top of the box, but just stand there, afraid to do anything, until he did what you are supposed to do...pass to a wide open man.

2. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both are good players in there own right but putting aside all my bias, if I were coach and I had a choice between buying Robben and Ronaldo, i would buy robben.

From the games he has played so far, he seems to be a better passer and crosser with the ball, he has better decision making and he seems to be a little bit better at finishing than Ronaldo. Ronaldo has better dribbling skills, better touch overall and great heading ability for someone of his position. And on top of that there is no real replacement for Ronaldo if he were to be injured. (Bellion?) And also you have to look at how burned out Ronaldo is. he was arguably Portugal's best player at the Euros and he also played in the Olympics. But if we are to purely look at both Player's abilities, I think Robben comes ahead of Ronaldo.

Granted, Ronaldo is one of my favorite players, and he is one of the most creative players on my team but Robben seems to be more polished so far. Who will be the better player? I don't know, hopefully it's Ronaldo, but from the looks of things, Robben seems headed for better things.

I wished he had come to Old Trafford. We would have been set for the season. :(

3. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I believe he scored around 6 goals for Man U. I think other Man U fans can back me up on this one.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes he did
    4 in league play
    + 2 in fa cup competition
    + 0 in europe

=6 goals.

5. Offside2

Offside2 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    And again Robben proved his worth based on TRIKCKERY, SHOTS ON GOAL(5), ASSISTS, TEAM VALUE and scored another BRILLIANT goal(1). I'm a Man utd fan and was disappointed to see Ferguson fail to bring him in. Ronaldo's effectiveness isn't as good as Robben's and it's clear without saying which one is the better player. You can never be completely objective, but if you look at the (present) facts, Robben achieved more than Ronaldo has in the premiership. Making an immediate impact, growing game by game and even lifting chealsea on his shoulders on a few occasions. One other point is that the goals Robben makes are the goals that give a turnpoint. (Like today he made the 2-1) and was TWICE the matchwinner already. Skysports is regarded as one of the most objective sportsreporterscentre in England. They gave their score to both players and the outcome is clear: Robben is better. (Take in mind: you're only as good as your last game) Second point: You can play attractive football with fancy and still lose. Coaches prefer the win (and attractive football if it's possible) Robben provides on both fronts. (No more 'boring boring chelsea') Can you say that Ronaldo has?

Ronaldo's score: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/squadlist.asp?clid=1&cpid=8

Robben's score: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/squadlist.asp?clid=8&cpid=8

p.s I'm not a chelsea supporter. But I'm still very angry @ Ferg. And I urge him to leave. Am losing faith in this man who has a ********ed up transferpolicy. (for example: buying Rooney while he should have strengthen the midfield)

6. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    i only said i am happy ronaldo is the one playing for my NT, so his stats for country does acually support my argument, ill concede Robben is playing better for club but i am not a man utd fan so it doesn't bother me.

well it took a lot of thought and planning :)
    things aren't going ronaldos way and robben is in great form, compare them when they are both at there best.

7. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    no he is a left winger this season, radzinski and cole were the 2 strikers for fulham against chelsea,

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Nope. Boa Morte does occasionally play on the left, but Radzinski was playing on right, ahead of Volz. You might have watched the game.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Except that's wrong. Robben's stats for Holland are highly comparable to Ronaldo's. I believe Robben has 3 goals in fewer appearances than Ronaldo (who has 5). And has has been said, Robben shared the lead for assists at Euro2004.

10. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Phorass stop wanking over Robben, pleaaaaaaaaaaaase!

11. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    does anyone know the exact stats?

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

correct! i mean do people watch games before making comments? ive seen a lot of fulham games and boa morte playing up front(especially whens coring his goals) the majority of the time . hell the guy was named to soccernets team of the week in which they mentioned how good the new strike partnership of boa morte and cole have been. so im pretty positive boa morte plays only occasionally on the left of midfield like phoras said, but whatever you say because obviously you are really smart.

13. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    In 2003/04 he found himself more accustomed to a more withdrawn role on the left of midfield, which he excelled in. He passed 150 appearances that season. from soccernet.com

for portugal he is used as a LW, he is number 11 for his club and every time i have seen him play he has been on the out side dribbling and crossing as well as going to the centre, so he is a cross between a striker and winger.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey hey hey.
    Nice goal from Robben yesterday wouldn't you say?
    Went by 5 (!) defenders.

What was that about ganging up on CRonaldo and hampering his ability to produce?

Anyways...
    I'll be watching the United game in a bit, with a particular eye on all this nonsense about 3 players coming out of the back to mark him (or 2 as the case may be).

I'll be interested too see what exactly happens.

15. Offside2

Offside2 New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    I concur. I even would say that his dribbling is at least as good as Ronaldo's by looking at that goal. The people who say Robben isn't as good as Ronaldo can't ignore the facts now. 4 goals in 4 matches. And WHAT goals they were! Ask a coach who he rather have.. Robben or Ronaldo. Any coach in your local city. Robben OWNS Ronaldo :p

16. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  17. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    The confusion with Boa Morte arises from the fact that Chris Coleman has been switching formation between 4-5-1(~4-3-3 in attack) and 4-4-2 a lot. This season, when playing 4-4-2, Boa Morte has quite obviously been a midfielder; but in the 4-5-1, the wide midfielders move forward to support the lone striker when attacking, and it can get a bit ambiguous. Some newspapers want to describe every line-up as a 4-4-2, even when they won't actually play like that, inevitably misrepresenting the roles of some players.

Last season Fulham were short of strikers, so Boa Morte did play as a definite striker frequently back then.

In any case, Boa Morte has played as a left winger for a considerable amount of his career, so it is not unfair to compare him when in that role to other wingers.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's no contest, Robben is so much sharper in terms of end product, whether it's scoring himself or providing for others. Add to that the effect his pace and dribbling has on drawing defenders and creating space, he's a class above and that's no insult to Ronaldo.

Imagine how Ferguson must feel, could so easily have had Robben on the left and Ronaldo on the right at United.

19. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    i agree right now robben is playing a hell of a lot better then ronaldo, thats not being debated but ronaldo isn't at his best and neither is man utd, robben is playing in a winning and settled side, ronaldo isn't so comparing current form wont tell you which is better.

about one owning the other i think they played against each other in euro, who owned who?

20. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Robben was just amazing in that game against Fulham.That goes without saying. But we should all wait a little longer before we can judge which is the better player. Robben is in better form at the moment but let's see how long this will last.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Let's not forget that Ronaldo has been playing football for a full year and requires a rest.

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most players have played as much/more and arent resting

23. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    most players? he is 19, he played in every euro match, trained for and played in the olympics and hasn't had much of a rest, there is one player i can think of in a simular situation and that is heinze who isn't a developing teenager.

24. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would pick Robben for sure.

25. triplex

triplex New Member

May 19, 2004
    That's crap. Their respective teams were playing eachother. You can't credit Ronaldo with other players performances.
    Having said that, in the PORT-HOL game at EURO2004, Robben was 'owned', to use the this apparently popular phrase.