Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Sneijder -=(18)=-

Sneijder -=(18)=- New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    The Netherlands
    And WONDER BOY ROBBEN has scored again, don't talk **************** to say DUFF is better than Robben and Cristiano Ronaldo, because then you're really stupid.

2. ApoJapo

ApoJapo Member

Jun 2, 2004
    STFU b*tch

BTW. sneijder sucks ass

ps. sneyder is an ass

3. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Holland lost to Portugal at Euro and Ronaldo scored in that game. Robben was hiding.

4. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I bet that most of the ones who are saying that Robben is like a living god and a lot better than Cristiano Ronaldo, probably 10 to 12 years ago said that Overmars was a lot better than Figo because of this and that bla bla bla etc etc etc, the real difference between Figo and Ronaldo and Overmars and Robben is that while Figo and Ronaldo are able to do all the tricks they can also be effective when they want, when Overmars and Robben type of players will always be the same kind of player until the end of their career.
    So probably right now you already seen everything Robben has to offer while in Cristiano Ronaldo case you will watch him for many years gradually changing and becoming another kind of player, probably he is going to stop his tricks? or stop embaracing defenders in every game? who knows he may become this kind of player only to please the boring football lovers.

5. guddy69

guddy69 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    london
    Ronaldo is better than Robben at almost everything. He's a better dribbler, faster (with or without the ball), more athletic, loads better in the air. Robben may be about as good as Ronaldo in striking the ball, but Ronaldo can unleash nasty shots and crosses from either foot, where Robben is entirely (and at times amusingly) left-footed. I have yet to see him take a touch with his right foot in like more than a year of watching him for club and country.

YOUR AMERICAN RIGHT? oh dear, you have a lot to learn about soccer (football)...

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    damien duff is more of a proven player then either.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what kind of crap is this? i like how "really intelligent" people on here can see through the entire careers of a couple of kids not even 21 years old.

8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I second that notion

9. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Its the kind of crap we have to take in account when we analyse players.

10. triplex

triplex New Member

May 19, 2004

Since when are we discussing diving? - this is what you mean with tricks and being effective at them, I guess..
    While comparing Figo and Overmars: Overmars was pretty effective in the one trick he knew best. Not much of a diver though, does this make him a lesser man?

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You do realize that as a left winger, he HAS to go right if he wants to score, right? Because otherwise, he'd end up out of touch. But other than that, your point makes total sense. :rolleyes:
    Oh, and watch his Carling Cup goal. You know, the one where he takes the ball on the left side and scores. Because it'd be had to do that without going right.
    Its OK, I understand though. You have him confused with Zoolander, who can't turn left.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Cronaldo is not Figo, and Robben is not Overmars. That was a stupid comparison. Figo, in his prime, was a phenomenal player. We have no evidence as of yet to suggest that Ronaldo will be as good. He can do stepovers, and has nice footwork. But Robben is far more productive at what he does.
    Yes, I know, some Portuguese fan is going to reply with "but Ronaldo scored at the Euros!". Yes, on headers. I don't need that from my wingers, really - that's what strikers and CBs are for. How many goals has Ronaldo scored in one year with ManUtd? I'm not sure its as many as Robben has managed in his first 5 with Chelsea. Despite playing the same position.
    I've always rated Robben higher, and I see no reason why stepovers should change my opinion.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no its the crap we deal with, trying to talk to people who dont realize there own limitations.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Are you trying to be ironic?

15. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Like you knew about Ronaldo, before Manutd bought him. That guy is right in that its an analogy, not to be taken literally. Anyway wait until Robben has 2 or 3 around him, before you stick your tongue up his ass crack, so slitheringly. Don't forget Ronaldo has hit the post and bar numerous times. And again shows how little you know, when you think Ronaldo does 400 step-overs per minute. Do you even watch you Premiership?

16. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Exactly.

Let's have this conversation another day after Robben and Cron have been around in the EPL for a couple years.

17. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Robben looks good though. Like you say lets compare when um they have both been around for a while. Lee Sharpe was Awesome ;)

18. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Well i from what i seen can assure you that Cristiano Ronaldo his better than Figo with is age, i don´t know if is going to achieve the same success or in his prime be as good as Figo but one thing i am sure, right now with CR age there are no other player with similar potential.
    While saying this i am not saying Robben is a bad player, Robben is great but is contribution to any team he plays will always be limited to what he can do now and what he can learn to do in the future.
    Talking about how many goals he scored in MU is just unfair, because we all know what was MU last season and what is MU this season... while Chelsea...
    And again i want to remember that isn´t the same thing for a Dutch to come and play in England than a Portuguese or any other latin.

19. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Like saying that Duff is more of a proven player than CR or Robben?!

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well lets see hes played superbly on the biggest stage(world cup) and has been a consistent EPL performer for more years than both of those other two combined.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Robben's already more productive, has done more at the highest stages of club football, and is playing better now. He's one year older than Cronaldo. How's their potential not similar?

That's true of Cristiano Ronaldo as well. What's your point? :confused:

If Ronaldo was so good, shouldn't he have scored OCCASIONALLY?
    And remember, ManUtd finished 3rd last season, won the FA cup, and was one disallowed goal away from beating Porto. If Rooney can play well for Everton, surely Ronaldo could have for United.

Look, you can mitigate all you want. Is it possible Ronaldo will become as good as Figo? Sure. Is it possible Ronaldo will become the next Denilson? Yes. Do we know which will happen? No.
    However, on the basis of all I've seen thus far, Robben is a more effective player, has a better shot, takes better set pieces, and produces more. Is his footwork as good? No. Do I care? Not particularly.

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Are you saying that Robben will be spending his last playing days in Iceland? ;)

23. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Nice. I guess it's ok to use goals scored as the end all be all, most objective determinant of who is a better winger as long as they are scored with what you subjective deem to be the correct part of the body. Wow. Great use of either objectivity or subjectivity depending on which is most convenient to you at the moment.

Who cares if they were scored with his head? You don't need that from your wingers? You need it from any player who is capable of providing it. That's what strikers and CBs are for? No, that's what any player who is good in the air is for. Granted those players are usually strikers and CBs, but if a winger is good at scoring goals with his head, you can't just discount them just because they don't fit within your narrow definition of what a winger should be.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He's a winger. If he scores a couple of headed goals, that doesn't affect most of his game.

Scoring goals is not something I look for from my wingers. I don't know who does. Its a nice bonus, but its not something that's going to affect my judgement of him as a winger. If Garricha had scored a few goals with his head, it wouldn't really have made him much better.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Er...he is!

Wrong point to debate mate.