Robben or Ronaldo??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by invincibles49, Nov 7, 2004.

1. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    What does being in the US have to do with anything?
    I'd say my lack of knowing Robben has more to do with only following the sport for three months...
    There is no need to be an ignorant jackass.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah cronaldo is only 19, well robben is 20....geniuses. i think their both great young talents. i like robben slightly better because when he goes 1 v1 instead of using tricks, he makes a good move and beats his man. hes also doing this playing out of position by the way.

3. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty

nice one petrol cap.

4. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Thanks.

5. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Thanks to FSW, I get to watch him just about every week, thanks. I last saw him play against Portsmouth. I'll stand by what I said. He's cut down on the useless step-overs, but that doesn't mean he's eliminated them; and he definitely hasn't cut out the diving.

As for his threat to Premiership defenses, again I'll say: ZERO goals and just 2 assists in 11 games this season.

Don't swallow the hype.

Watch more closely and notice how often he's quite easily dispossessed of the ball, or else gives it up without significantly advancing it. Sure, he's fast enough to get past some players on a midfield break, but downfield he'll usually cough it up. Turn it into a drinking game (take two gulps for a dive, and another if he makes the whiny face), and you should be lit by halftime.

6. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    You'll note that in my post I allowed for two possibilties. Either you haven't seen him play much recently or you don't know what you are watching. Since you have confirmed that it's not the former, I'll conclude that it's the latter.

Who are you, Stuart Scott? When you try to turn our beautiful game into baseball, that's what would lead people to believe that you're not watching the games. Like I said, Ronaldo gets all the attention from opposing defenders. This opens up a lot of space for his teammates. Now I'll admitted that he doesn't always do well with exploiting this, but his final ball and decision-making have improved a lot since he first came into the Prem. Also, he's hit the post on at least 3 occasions. I know they don't count (that's why they don't show up in your stat sheets), but I think that they do say something about how dangerous he is or they at least say more than just blindly relying on statistics.
    The anti-Ronaldo crowd are more guilty of swallowing all the negative hype that Ronaldo gets. Ronaldo got a bad rap for all his antics when he first joined the EPL. It seems like you guys are really slow to forgive him for it, even though he's gotten a lot better. It's the whole selective attention thing. remembering things that confirm your expectations and easily forgetting things that aren't consistent with expectations, blah blah blah

Robben is a great player with a great future, but let's see how he responds when defenders start double teaming him and getting more physical with him (and forcing him right :D) before we say that he's better than Ronaldo.

7. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    They are both great players, but there are no question who is the better and who have more pontential, the name is Cristiano Ronaldo, when we see Manchester United playing (or trying to play...) who do you see? the pressure is always on Ronaldo, the team has problems give the ball to Ronaldo, the team dosn´t get decent crosses, give the ball to Ronaldo, even free kicks, headers, long shots he is doing everything he made a great season last year he developed a lot, he was great during the Euro, he played the olympics, Fergusson was afraid of Ronaldo burning out (spl?) but he constantly puts him playing, every game he plays he have 2 or 3 players with an eye on him, this situation should be great for any team that could take advantage of this..., he is on the list of the 50 best european players, he is 19, and came from Portugal to England we all know that is a lot harder to a latin to adapt to England than an Dutch.
    The posts i have seen here still talk about Ronaldo like now he still was the same kid that played that first game in the EPL, while you talk about Robben like he was a god while playing only a few games... he is without doubt a great player but still have to prove himself along the season.

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robben is a class above. I take Robben's goals and end product over Ronaldo's flashy stepovers any day. Not to say Ronaldo is crap, but he's definitely not a dominant player.

9. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Completely agree. Ronaldo is massively overrated by the Portugese and Manure fans. He's still good though.

10. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA

fight!!!! Fight!!!!

LOL :D

Actually, To back up those of the western hemisphere, I reside in Canada and have partially followed the big matches within the Erividise (or is it Eri'D'ivise).

The ones involving PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord mainly.
    Robben looks just as good as he did for PSV if not better. He has definately made the better start in the Prem in my opinion. Looks like he's been there for years already.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Who has done more at international level?

12. Sneijder -=(18)=-

Sneijder -=(18)=- New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    The Netherlands
    In the Champions League Arjen Robben(Chelsea CL 1 Goal - PSV CL 3 Goals) has made more goals than Cristiano Ronaldo(Man. Utd 0 Goals)
    Robben - Ronaldo 1 - 0

Arjen Robben(11 Appearances) has made more appearances in the Champions League than Cristiano Ronaldo(8 Appearances)
    Robben - Ronaldo 2 - 0

Cristiano Ronaldo has made more appearances on International level than Arjen Robben.

Robben - Ronaldo 2 - 1

Cristiano Ronaldo(5 goals) has made more goals on International level than Arjen Robben(3 goals).

Robben - Ronaldo 2 - 2

Arjen Robben(33 goals) has made more goals so far in his career than Cristiano Ronaldo(17 goals)

Robben - Ronaldo 3 - 2

Arjen Robben(105 appearances) has made more official club appearances in his career than Cristiano Ronaldo(75 appearances)

Robben - Ronaldo 4 - 2

Arjen Robben is more effective in matches

Robben - Ronaldo 5 - 2

Cristiano Ronaldo has better tricks than Arjen Robben

Robben - Ronaldo 5 - 3

Cristiano Ronaldo has better dives than Arjen Robben

Robben - Ronaldo 5 - 4

Their skills are almost too close to call/equal

Their speed and ball control are too close to call/equal

Arjen Robben has made more assists in his career than Cristiano Ronaldo

Robben - Ronaldo 6 - 4

Cristiano Ronaldo is 13 months younger than Arjen Robben so that's in his advantage.

Robben - Ronaldo 6 - 5

So Robben wins all round.

13. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice, i particularly liked the Diving remark:D

14. ApoJapo

ApoJapo Member

Jun 2, 2004

Nice? Some points are so stupid and irrelevant IMO :rolleyes:

15. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    well i believe Chris Ronaldo's Portugal are the biggest team ever to TIE Liechtenstein;)

oh, and Robben was injured between the end of Euro2004 & 3 weeks ago.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You'll never guess which side of the pitch Robben scored from against Everton. Take a guess. Go ahead. Really.

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Given their respective number of caps, its pretty close.
    Who's done more at the highest level of club football?

18. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Robben did score the deciding penalty at EURO 2004... Ronaldo was non-existent in the final against Greece... like much of the tournament. Portugal hasnt exactly been tearing up their WC 2006 qualifying group either.

Plus Ronaldo plays for Man U. That's enough there to give the nod to Robben :D

19. moose41

moose41 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Robben all the way !! Ronaldo is just flashy and does not seem to dominate his side of the field. Ronaldo plays like a sissy-boy sometimes. Stay on your feet son !!!! :confused:

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, based on doling out points for youth and number of appearances and such which means what???

21. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Dude, you can't be that illiterate. Seriously. I said that he can't go right not that he can't score from the right side of the field. Those are two totally different things. :rolleyes:

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    What DECIDING PK was this? IIRC Robben didn't score any goals in Euro04. It wasn't the one that got the Dutch past Portugal cuz the Dutch didn't advance. So if we're going to base a player on their teams performance...

Speaking of which, the so called non existant cRon scored against the Dutch. And ya, he didn't do much against the Greeks, but who did? At least he scored in their opening match.

And, IIRC, cRon's named after Reagan. What more could ya need?

23. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Wow.

24. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    look at all the fkcing ABUs LOL. Robben plays good in 3 Chavski games and hes "Miles better than Ronaldo", "Class ahead". Do me a favour and go find an ABU forum <chickhead> pleeeeeeease</chickedhead>

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either way damien duff is better than both right now