Robb Heineman quotes re: Besler and Zusi, what do you think?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by terps, Jul 20, 2014.

1. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-get-their-men-new-deals-matt-besler-graham-z

2. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 ChocolateCandy, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Obviously Robb's exaggerating a little. Still, I think Besler and Zusi staying doesn't make much of a difference in this cycle. They aren't 20.

3. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I remember hearing Besler (I think) in an interview yesterday saying he was excited about the plans KC had for the next 5-10 years. Any speculation as to what those would be?

4. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When watching the two of them talking about the opportunities of staying where they are, I could not help think that it is a good move for Zusi, but not Besler. In my mind, if he really wants to improve his game and play at top level, he needs to go to Europe. I wonder want the owners of KC have planned, and if this was somehow a "package" deal.

5. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, plus the fact that they will improve the leagues image. Especially right after the World Cup buzz.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair, but I think our younger players in the league will improve more in MLS when the big $$'s are spent on bringing in players for them to play against who are above MLS level, not at the top of it. We don't want another Zusi. We want a Robben or a Schurrle or a Ronaldo, etc.

SamsArmySam repped this.
  7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    My thought was that Besler and Zusi were promised front office jobs after their playing days were over. And, some kind of project was pitched that they could be involved with.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #8 IndividualEleven, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    They're both 27. Getting paid whether here or overseas would seem to be what most players in that age group (wisely)do.

They're both mature, developed players. From an NT perspective, there's nothing wrong with their playing in MLS.

SKC have a pretty decent player development track record. Besler and Zusi made the US WC team. Oriol Rossell got the transfer to Sporting CP. Roger Espinosa went to Wigan. Kei Kamara got the move to Middlesborough. Brown and Ellis look to be examples of successful homegrown players with former the subject of a possible move to Juventus. Dom Dwyer was successfully shepherded to becoming one of the top strikers in the league.

SKC along with RSL and Seattle are the probably the best teams of MLS '3.o' or whatever.

Gotta do better in CCL however.

luftmensch, tab5g, Footsatt and 3 others repped this.
  9. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, his statements aren't far off from the reality of what is going to happen. SKC along with KC is creating a world class soccer infrastructure, development system, and culture. A few of the plans I've heard are actually quite remarkable.

First, they are breaking ground this year on a multi-million dollar joint US soccer and SKC training facility. It will be top of the line from what I've seen. Second the plans are to increase capacity of the stadium by 10 thousand in the next few years, and in the next decade and a half possibly building an even larger stadium down in the Power and Light district in downtown KC. These are largely superficial, but the intent is there.

Editor In Chimp and deuteronomy repped this.
  10. backpackpenguin

Jul 8, 2007
    New York, NY
    I agree with this so much. This is the time when they should make their money.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he knows something specific about how the level of play will get better, I don't know if he's correct ON THE FIELD. As far as greatest in MLS, that's certainly debatable. Seattle might have something to say about that. Over the past 5 years or so, LA would have something to say too. NYCFC might soon too. SKC is a great organization, no doubt, but to presume that they can get better as players as much in SKC as they might at a good mid-table EPL team or somewhere like that just is false. There are plenty of great reasons to stay and I don't begrudge these guys one bit their decision. I do think Robb is a little over the top in his quotes though.
    As some have said above, the fact that these guys are 27 rather than 20 makes it less of a big deal for their national team careers. But to say SKC develops players as well as teams all over the world? I don't think so.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Besler needs to maintain his level at SKC, he has security to do that. What he doesn't control is what course JAB takes over the next few years. He could be passed.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think JAB is the prime candidate for his buddy actually. He needs to have two central defenders do better than him. Hopefully guys like Farrell, Hedges, etc. step up and make it interesting, id be all for it.

14. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And really, I don't think where Besler plays would have anything to do with whether he gets passed or not. Brooks is 6 years younger, taller, and faster. Obviously Besler is far ahead at the mental part of the game, but that's the part that develops in younger players.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Justin Z repped this.
  16. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    Yeah, pay Besler a boat load of cash and plaster his face all over the place with endorsements.

17. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You win one title and there's suddenly "no question" that you're the best club in MLS? Please.

Heist repped this.
  18. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    “This is one of the best clubs in the world from a development perspective. The opportunity and the tools that are available here, including Peter and the way he trains these guys, is world-class."

:x3:
    o_O

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty over the top, but if you grant an elastic definition of "development" it's not completely absurd. The list of teams with three players who got their professional start there on 2014 World Cup squads I imagine is quite short. Toss in Rosell and Kamara, their success with Dwyer, and the all-KC back 5, and he probably has a point, at least among MLS clubs (world? not so much).

Anyway, I guess I like the ambition.

20. SgtYourke

SgtYourke Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Neither Besler nor Zusi would make it in the EPL. Besler's not good enough with the ball at his feet. Zusi doesn't have the ability to go at EPL defenders 1 v 1 and make something positive happen consistently. I think his limitations were very succinctly demonstrated in the WC, especially the Belgium game.

jackiesdad repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler would have a shot at one of the bottom teams IMO.

If not at least a starter is most championship level teams, he is better than Ream.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Besler could start for a lot of EPL teams, probably many of the 7th-20th placed teams.
    It might not happen immediately, but he could do it.

23. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is too late for that. We will never know. I don't think JK is going to be as tolerant as he was in the first cycle. He has been preaching for three years that they need to be playing over there, we get eliminated and that is the first thing he says again so I doubt if he is going to keep on being tolerant on this. Never say never, but if there are CBs in Europe playing at any of the top 6 leagues, I can almost bet he would start them over the homers.

24. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it hard to get exercised one way or another on this. Did going to Europe make a huge difference for Tim Ream? Eddie Pope played his entire career against (on balance) a weaker MLS, and he was still better than any CB we'd ever had.

When it comes to USMNT players past the age of 23-24, all I care about in their club careers is that they're stable, happy, and playing first-team games. If we're going to make significant process it's not going to be about individual players signing wherever, it'll be an overall increase in quality, infrastructure, etc. If Eddie Pope or Landon or Matt Besler is going to be a part of that, cool by me. If they want to chase a career in Europe like Agudelo or Cherundolo or Demerit, that's awesome too. But hitching our hopes to this or that guy playing for this or that team, I'm over that.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “This is one of the best clubs in the world from a development perspective."

Seriously???