Rob Stone Sucks. How about a petition to get him fired.

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by GalacticoX4, Oct 14, 2004.

1. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Rob Stone Sucks. How about a petition to get him fired. Does anyone whose good with websites or something want to make a web petition that we can get to have people sign. Maybe we can send it to ESPN so they can fire him and get some one else. The guys doing champions league are much better. And tommy Smythe is lives in New York. Hell he could do it. Someone! Stone is a moron on MLS and proved he's a moron during today's panama game. Please help spare us. The man said "funky cold yellow card on Medina" for God sakes. No wonder why MLS and US is laughed at.

2. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Balboa is a moron, too.
    You should do what I do. Turn off the sound.

3. gbalzac

gbalzac New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    agreed..what a pair of apes...what about the guy that does play by play for bundesliga games on fsw he's american...

4. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And he does well... lets the "play speak" like the class English commentators.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut the ******** up...Rob Stone knows soccer and other sports, he does sidelines for college football...Tommy Smythe isn't on the air for 5 minutes beofre he starts performing verbal fellatio on the big European clubs...

if you can't appreciate funky cold...

6. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000

7. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI

The two guys from the El Salvador broadcast are probably available if you would prefer.

Personally, I like Rob Stone and Balboa/Wynalda. I think that they are much better than the FSW people.

8. marc baltique

marc baltique New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    annapolis, maryland
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in my opinion, the guys at FSW poop on Stone/Balboa from a very great height. maybe it's a maturity thing but i don't f***ing care what cobi jones' favorite pizza topping is. nor do i want to hear an announcer sound like he's in rehearsal mode for a nickelodeon made-for-10-year-olds game show.

9. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    You're foolish. Here we go 21 is right, Smythe talks about European football clubs cause its UEFA that he's doing. But he knows alot about US players though and comments on them often on ESPNs soccer site and he often does a web chat where he often has to show an understanding of American players. And nobody cares what Rob Stone knows about college football this is real football and who ever said let the play speak was right. Let him go do college footbal because the skills aren't transfering. Hey i'm glad he's got emotion he just has no technique. He knows squat about this sport. Funk cold yellow? Nerdy white guys shouldn't prove they are nerdy white guys by making random urban pop culture references. Hey Rob, You're not Stuart Scott. If you like that well sorry for you. But no offense, but people like you are the reason that mls is a joke, is globally disrespected, and the US players are disrespected. This isn't AYSO its serious stuff. Cause you'd rather have Rob Stone do commentating than a commentator that knows how to do it. here is a nice basic video on commentating by the great John Motson http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/sport/academy/football/mc/motson/commentary/256k.ram (need real player) from the BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/video_masterclasses/newsid_2127000/2127143.stm

Nowhere does he mention make dumb comments about rap songs and treat the sport like a joke. But here in the US it is a joke. That's why MLS trys to sell to little AYSO kids instead of real fans and why the world thinks the US is made up of just women players. I dont' care who they put there as long as he's good. These people at ESPN, MLS, & US Soccer need to treat the sport with the respect it deserves and the players have earned. It's not some corny Rob Stone Joke. He needs to go NOW! Balboa too.

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I agree that Stone is crap. The "funky cold" and the "slo-mo" lines convinced me last night. Plus my Dad (he doesn't mind soccer, he'll watch it so that we can do something together, heard that one line and was like, "I gotta go home, this guy is such an idiot I can't take it anymore." That's not really what ESPN should be looking for, someone who drives people from watching.

The pizza-topping crap is for the 10yr olds, that doesn't annoy me, we need to keep them in the loop.

But I disagree about Tommy Smyth. I don't want him doing US games, he's just fine during CL but not USMNT. For that I want an American, not an Irishman. I agree that Max Bretos (the guy from FSW) should do it along with Christian Miles (also from FSW). Actually any of the Americans on FSW would be ok, they know the game and they do it every week and they are classy about it. I don't mind an announcer being a homer, just be cool about it and don't pull all this fancy, I want to be on Sportscenter crap. Stone is just, ERRR, crap. He's too...gimmicky.

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, lets start on online petition ... that will show them.

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Hopkins is the guy who does Bundesliga for FSW.

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was because of playoffs and conferences. Or maybe it's the team names. Oh I no, it's whiny fans that think signing internet petitions to get announcers they don't like fired doesn't make them look like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Not that I'm comparing him to these guys, but Stoner does the game with a little schtick, like Chris Berman, Harry Carray, or Mike Lange, and that's not a bad thing. He's trying to be entertaining. Maybe you should get a little thinner skin and hope Segroves doesn't make it over to this thread.

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been Segroved...in fact, I am in his signature. Dubious achievement.

It depends on whether you like the schtick. I personally hate it and think it's stupid. Just do the game, I don't need all the extra crap. I have the same problem with the NFL on FOX. It's all bells and whistles, no substance.

15. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    i don't watch the simpsons but Stone is ass. Chris Berman is the support for your argument? He's horrendous. And your right is is the dumb team names, the conferences, the NFL lines on the stadiums and fans just like you who want a Saw-ker league with all the corny Americanized crap piled on. Hey lets bring our horns to the game. I'm sure you liked Dennis Miller and John Madden too. At least Madden was a coach. Yeah ya know its fans like you that are even more the problem than Rob Stone. Cause you don't even know what a universal joke stone is. You have him and his corny schtick. Its time to have a sport for the adults and one for the kiddies that like schtick.

16. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    yeah i agree it probably is a maturity thing. That and depends on your exposure to the game outside the US. And personally i don't care what nationalty the announcer is. As long as he's good.

17. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    when u listen to JP Dellacamera do a game he makes it seem so much more professional.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree that Stone should tone down some of his attempts at humor, but I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be. I also like JP--he acts like he knows his way around the soccer world. Remember Jack Edwards at the '02 World Cup? Now, THAT'S ANNOYING! But just think, how would you like to have the all-time most annoying PBP announcer---Brent Musburger.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Eric Wynalda to the list as well, he sucks ass.

20. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap, you just made crusio look like Kenn Tomasch! Well done!

Ignorance of the reference is no excuse, especially since you just went "Worst Post Ever" on me.

A defensible position, but you unfortunately veered off the road and burst into flames after that...

I hope this guy's big enough to keep, because I just used the last of my bait and I don't feel like throwing him back.

Even a blind dog finds a bone. If you weren't so busy in your Eurosnob spasm you might learn that I'm not a big fan of the plastic Mexican mating call device either. But F You anyway.

What the fook are you babbling about? I mentioned that there have been popular announcers in the past that have had a hook. Miller was never popular with anyone and Madden is pretty much been considered the archtype color commentator, considering that he's been doing that longer than he coached, I'd say most people, especially those that matter, don't agree with you.

Nice arguement, BTW. You were in the debate society at Oxford, right?

Fans that buy season tickets, the DirectKick package, various paraphanelia, and try to sell the game and the league to friends and co-workers? Yah, that's what's wrong with the league. :rolleyes:

I'm sure if I stopped following the league, and just let the "true" football fans take my seats instead, they'd start flooding "grounds" across this great land of ours. I know, it's terrible that I've been bringing my daughter to games since she was six, thus building a love with her local team in the one sport she likes to play, thus (hopefully) creating another paying fan when she gets older. Screw that, from now on, it's nothing but me and my mates down to the ground, demanding meat pies and terraces, because that's what real football (they never call it by the Septic-created name of 'soccer') supporters enjoy.

Oh wait, how about instead I just call you a tool and enjoy my favorite sport the way I like? That would be better.

Or to use another reference you probably won't get:

Cheney, to Leahy, on the Congressional Floor...

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Now that children, is a good post...I especially like, "how about instead I just call you a tool and enjoy my favorite sport the way I like?" LOL

22. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    1st Jack and Ty post!

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Kelly.

Tim McCarver.

Bill Walton.

If, for one second, you think the success of a league lies in its announcers, you are the reason MLS and US Soccer are laughed at.

24. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Boom.

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC