Road trips for WCQ

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the list out of dates, which games would you be willing to make plans to go see (assuming the game isn't here?)

I for one plan on traveling to the Mexico game - over Labor Day weekend.

And esp. if the Costa Rica game (6-4/5) is again in KC (per internet rumors, that is a possibility).

Too bad Guatemala (3-30), T&T (8-17) and Panama (10-12) are on Wednesdays - those would be tough to make unless they are in Houston....

2. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Boston is going to make this tour....

CW/rumour-mill has us playing Guatemala in the Pacific NW, CR at KC, T&T at the HDC, Mexico in Columbus and Panama here.....

But as I said elsewhere, what makes sense and what the Fed does are more often than not mutually exclusive....

And yes, Boston would be a good venue.

3. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be interested in going to Boston.

4. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    home of the Red Sox, John Kerry, and Ben Affleck. Lemme think about that... NO.

Seeing as I will be 18 (one more week to go, baby!), and the parentals can't say anything? Houston or KC would be awesome, IMO.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Boston is a great town for soccer - been there for both MLS and USSF games, and the soccer folk there are good people. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to go to a game there.

6. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when my daughter tried that one. She was really disappointed when I took MY truck back.

We went to all of the home qualifying games last WC. It was a blast and worth doing. We'll probably make them all this time too. All I have to figure out is time off for Germany in 2006.

7. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico in Azteca or Jalisco in March. What about the Sammers. I did not see anything on the website. What about soccer vacations? I have not seen anything on their site either...

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit soon for that info - hell, we just got the draw. :)

The ought to be working on it. Feel free to check back with me later if you want. (Or Chaz or Ed Bazan).

9. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I would down for a trip to KC or Houston.

10. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Houston doesn't land a game and reward the Texans owner for not wanting to be an MLS owner. Lets keep all the games in the MLS family.

11. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a plan!!! :cool:

12. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    im down for a trip to mexico and possibly mexico in the US depending on where it is, and any game in KC or Houston, or Frisco as it will be a road trip for me

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything within about 650 miles can be reached in a day. Overnight accomodations would be neccesary but you would want to party after a win, right ;-). 650 miles would reach to Denver, San Antonio, New Orleans, Houston, Birmingham, KC, and St. Louis. I have driven to the last four for national team games.

14. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    I there for anything in New Orleans

15. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans? Let me guess. Bourbon Street.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Of this list, the only ones that are strong possibilities are Denver and KC. I would be very surprised if a non-MLS city got a WCQ....outside of Seattle or Portland.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

OTOH, keep in mind that if the game against Mexico is on Saturday of Labor Day Weekend, Columbus is doable over the road.

Upon further reflection, I doubt they will use Houston because the venue there is for larger crowds - ones that would not be supportive of the US (more likely than not).

Unlike friendlies, this is WCQ - anything that can be done to develop/establish/maintian a HFA should be done for these games.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    True, but as much as I like you guys, I'm not too sure I want to spend the three day weekend in a car with you.

For me, a game in Frisco is just about the only way I see the USMNT next year.

19. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I might look into going to the mexico game.

20. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Mexico or USA?

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In mexico

22. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go! I think that Chamo, and Mudpoet showed some interest as well. All I'm waiting for the actual date and when tix go on sale. I would think that USSF or Sam's Army may have a packet or perhaps Soccer Vacations. It should make for a memorable week-end. I can see it now.. 100-500 Sammers pissing off 90,000 screaming Mexicans ! I can hardly wait to feel what Custer felt !

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, you should have been at the Cotton Bowl earlier this year....it was basically the same experience. But at least I got to drive home afterwards. Good luck to those of you that make the trip.....you are braver then I.

24. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh. my friend but I was.

That game was at home as if Custer would have fought the same battle in Ft. USA this match will be Mexico as in wounded knee their field... ah yesss !

25. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Oh, but I was there good sir. Even made the Channel 5 news in my kilt only to nearlt give my mom a heart attack and have her ask why I wasn't studying for finals which began the next day(aced it in case you are wondering).

Brillent game and made the front page of the sports section. Also had to laugh at the cheap signs for a U-23 game. Call me when you win the world cup.

Cruster? Blah, REMEMBER THE ALAMO!