News: RNO: The CSL Dropped The Ball On Friday Night

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Blizzard, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A good column from Red Nation Online ......

Friday’s 1-0 victory over Panama in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying was a big win and a giant step forward for not only Canadian Soccer - but the culture of the game in this country. Even beyond the game itself, which was amazing and the events surrounding it (Honoring the Bronze medal winning Canadian Women’s team etc…) will long live in the memory of many supporters.

All of this is great, and I wish I could stop there, but there is one major issue that bothers me. As a matter of fact, it angers me. It has to do with grassroots/youth/lower tier soccer leagues choosing to schedule games on Canadian National Team dates, instead of reserving that time to watch Canada try and accomplish a goal that hasn’t been met since 1986.

One of the biggest offenders of this is the Canadian Soccer League, with them having done this on at least one other occasion during the last round of Canadian National Team qualifying during the 4-1 victory over St. Lucia. They played a match at Lamport Stadium after all of the festivities moved to BMO Field. In my opinion, this basically sends the message that “We don’t care”. They have not learned their lesson this time around having scheduled three matches with one taking place once again at Lamport Stadium, which is within walking distance of BMO Field, while another was involving TFC Academy at Downsview Park.

Read More: http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012...ridaynight.aspx