Rivalry in the making. The St. Louis Suckfaces

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ojsgillt, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, dont even get me started on that shit. Since when does High Fructose Corn Syrup belong in beer?

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see it a few years from now....St. Louis fans being invited to the Cauldron tailgate for some BBQ and beer (though not anything pissed out by Anheuser-Busch) before a game at our new SSS! The road trip will be fun, too.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we've got more wins against you than losses, plus 9 more championships. Good point as to why we aren't better. Also, to suggest your team (along with the DRays) isn't the laughing stock of the league would certainly contradict the opinions of the vast majority of people who follow baseball.

Still 3-1 in our favor since you've been in existence, plus the fact that we've been to the playoffs more than zero times since '85, and that we've got more pennants than you guys have playoff appearances. /argument

I'll cut off my left leg with a fork if you do. It'll ne'er happen.

Yeah, maybe we'll toughen up and get another Super Bowl, which would put as at 1 more than you. Sounds like we could say the exact same thing to you.

Yeah, maybe. Then again... maybe not. And just as well, maybe you'll make the playoffs for the first time in over 20 years. Or... maybe not. And then maybe you'll win the world series 9 times in a row to have the same amount as us.

But probably not.

Yeah, like many of our head-to-head encounters!!! Like the ones where we've had better sports franchises than you in every single sport for twenty years!!!

4. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that's kinda what I was thinking - hence the "something we can all agree on". We obviously have the best owners in the league, with their ultimate placement among the owners in the world being determined as we speak. Suffice to say, they're looking pretty good.

Yet you don't seem to understand. I don't make it a habit of baiting but with you it's just so much fun. Personally I'm starting to enjoy this rivalry already, but will have to hope that there are many others like you out there to have ridiculous arguments with.

Well, you miss the point. The point being that we've been here since the beginning and you're just now getting around to making a bid for the league.

But how nice of you to belittle the achievements of our club like that. I guess that means that if St. Louis ever should win a MLS Cup that we can disregard that one too. I'll also let Chicago and Houston know that their achievements are apparently laughable, which I suppose put the achievements of New York, Columbus, New England, Dallas all beyond laughable. You sure know how to make friends.

@Sachsen C'mon, can't we have some fun with them? I know it stupid (and probably ought to be in Rivalries) but it's like picking at a scab - you know you shouldn't but you do it anyways.

@jasontoon Right, sorry - didn't realize you guys were doing the whole coin jar thing to raise money to get your club. Or is it a lemonade stand? Whatever it is, I hadn't realize you guys were working _so hard_ to get your team.

You're right, we happened to have a visionary with roots in our city. Does that make me proud and want to brag? Hell yea. Oh, turns out we have another set of entrepreneurs that think Kansas City is a good place for an MLS club... Of course, you will have to tell me what prevented St. Louis from having a comparable visionary... or why such a wonderful soccer town has failed to obtain a club so far. I must've missed the restriction preventing St. Louis from having a club until 14 years after the league had formed.

Attendence? Please, even the rest of the league has given up on that. Don't give me that crap about 'folding' either, you act as if other teams hadn't been moved or folded before. Not that I even said KC was a great soccer town either - we have far too few hmong kids and even fewer suitable alleys for them to play in to be considered a truly great soccer town.

But hey, whatever it takes to make you feel better. I know it's hard for you to swallow the fact that us heathens in Kansas City have had the privilege of supporting our very own MLS team, but don't worry little Jason, I'm sure you'll have one soon.

5. Icculus

Icculus Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Steamboat Springs
  6. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    FYP

:D

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  8. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    FYI...

Last season I actually asked most of the St. Louis MLS boys if they have been approached by the proposed St. Louis team people about coming back home to play. It seems most of them have indeed been approached.

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know what the rules are for teams that don't exist yet, but approaching people under contract is a big no-no in just about every league in every sport.

One thing is for sure. I hope our owners are taking this rivalry seriously on the stadium front. The rendering St. Louis has is almost exactly what I would love here.

10. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that there is no free agency, I can't say that that's particularly meaningful. Further, if there were free agency, then it would be tampering...a very serious offense.

EDIT: Jeff and I posted this at the same time...apparently, great minds think alike or something.

11. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Hey... you just stepped way over the line.

Once you become actively involved in a Supporters Group for a local MLS club, you will begin to understand the pride that goes with the Supporters Shield. The history of the Shield is rather interesting (which I will not go into here), with our own Sammy Boy (and other KC Wiz fans) being very instrumental in making it a reality. Furthermore, the PLAYERS understand the meaning of the Shield... even if you don't. Ya can never get too much love from the players. Ya just got a bit more to learn.

One of those lessons is "Don't Dis the Shield"!!!!!

12. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    I'm saddened to know she was murdered the week after that....:cool:

Oooops.

Not politically correct?

13. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to mlb.com, I watched this again last night... while Van Slyke did make his usual quality throw, Porter was making no attempt to block the plate. If he had, he wouldn't have had to turn 180 degrees to try making the tag on Sundberg, who was, as I thought, sliding head-first. :cool:

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, trust me; I do understand. I'd prefer the league be single-table. I hate playoffs. But frankly, when it has nothing to do with the championship, it's not something one can typically successfully brag about when "But x actually won the Cup" is the next rebuttal. And even if you win them both, it's still kind of weak to say "We won the MLS Cup!!!... And the supporter's shield!"

15. Icculus

Icculus Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Steamboat Springs
  16. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Like I said... you've got a bit more to learn.:rolleyes:

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think it's funny that KC wans - all 3 of them - have to resort to name calling.
    Otherwise, St. Louis would even know they exist.

How does it feel to have some of the lowest attendance fixures in 2 leagues?

Your teams suck so bad even you guys don't go. :p

There, is that what I'm supposed to say to fit in this thread :D

Just kidding guys, I actually like KC - I've even gone up for a few games.

My grandparents lived in Overland Park and I was always up there as a kid.
    My brother played for Avila back when they made it to Nationals. (took 3rd or 4th)

In reality KC/STL will never be true rivals, even in the MLS, simply because being in different leagues doesn't allow them to play each other enough to develop a true hatred.

Good luck the rest of the year - here's to keeping Chicago out of the playoffs.

18. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how many times has your soccer team won anything? Oh, that's right... you don't have one!

19. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? The Rams are better than the Chiefs in football? Remind me what the score was when we played a game that mattered last season. Oh, and the Rams have exactly the same number of SB wins that the Chiefs do.
    :)

20. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I'd forgotten about the Champions Cup berth, but even that only just happened.

But that's the only thing; I'd pretty much had it down information-wise. Please tell me what I'm missing.

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  22. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMGZ UR SO HILARIO!!! GOOD 1!!!

Yeah, your Super Bowl occurred decades ago. Ours was within the last ten years.

23. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. BTW, everything I've said is all in good fun. I married a Cardinals girl, and my entire family of in-laws are Cardinals fans.

I welcome ANY expansion of MLS, even if it is in STL. That can only mean good things for the entire league.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was this close to neg repping you for the first part of your post.

The truth is they might not be in different leagues. It just depends on who comes into the league with you. If it's Philly, then yes we'll move back out West, if it's Seattle, we'll stay in the East. Personally, I want it to be Seattle. Nothing against Philly (besides the normal hate that came from the people last year saying the Wizards were moving there) but I really don't want to go back out West again. It sucks for developing any kind of rivalry when we're moving from West to East and back West again.

25. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that means it doesn't count? By that logic, most of your World Series wins don't count, so it's the Royals 1, Cardinals 1 :D