Rising Sun News Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by goru_no_ura, Oct 25, 2006.

1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ok, let's talk about it in decent fashion.
    (This picks up from anotehr thread where RSN was discussed)

I think Matsu's website is possibly the best on the J-league in English. The quantity of information is unbelievable, and the quality is good aswell. I am also impressed by Matsu's English.

What I do not like?
    1 - Graphics are old fashion :rolleyes:
    2 - Matsu always talks crap about "my" Kyoto. Lately he has called them "a mediocre" team. Well, Kyoto is not one of the best clubs in the J-league, but we have won a few J2 championships, a historical Emperor's Cup. Moreover Sanga has brought up players such as Matsui, Park and Endo. I would not call them "mediocre". I believe more than half of the J-League clubs have achieved much less.
    Then, sure, if you talk of the management or of the team in THIS season, they're not very impressive.

However, we should be grateful for Matsu's work, hoping others will do as much as him, adding other voices to the groeing inetrnational J-League community.

(I am mailing Matsu now to let him know I ahve started this thread).

2. SmokingMan

SmokingMan New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    A Dark Smoke-Filled
    Re: Do you like Matsu's website "Rising Sun News" ?

Ummm, they are last place in the league.
    I suppose you are right though, he shouldn't call them "mediocre" ...
    he should call them "pathetic losers" ;)

I think I know what you mean though. Probably you are referring to comments like this one:

"the contest between Kyoto Purple Sanga and Omiya Ardija had to be played one day earlier, because Nishikyogoku Stadium had already been booked for use on Saturday by a local high school. A few fans might have been tempted to complain about the stadium owners' priorities, but after watching the performance of these two teams on Friday evening, they will probably opt to just let the matter drop. At this point, it would be a bit risky to go around demanding: "which is more important -- Sanga vs Ardija, or a high school match?"

I also think Matsu shows a bit of favoritism at times. But on the other hand he makes that kind of comments about all of the teams, from time to time, and for me it is one of the best things about his reports. My favorite was when he kept talking about the "dinosaurs" of Jubilo and how "they are going extinct", or saying that "the defense was too fossilized to prevent the shot" and so on. Anyway I think you might be taking the comments about Kyoto too seriously, since he does that to all teams (even his beloved Kofu).

About the design I agree. I think the site needs to be given a new design that is more "modern" and not so childish. But that may just be a matter of my taste vs his taste.

Oh, and like Noa said, you shouldn't praise Matsu for his English. He is a gaijin. (or to be more accurate, a naturalized foreigner like Santos or Tulio)

3. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-

I think the website's great

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta

It's entertaining, invaluable and free.

What more do you want?

5. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

I agree totally.

I'm sorry lads if the earlier J-league information thread lead to this. I can't help but feel that the way it was steered was due to the others' rushed judgement, but I don't feel good about the fact that my post seems to have lead to a conflict, and likely encouraged the creation of this thread. I sincerely hope that this thread will not inflame the "problem", something that never existed in the first place.

How would you guys feel about renaming of this thread to "Rising Sun News Appreciation Thread"? That way the opinions shared here is automatically placed in a favourable context and that would prevent an unnecessary clash.

6. Video Newbie

Video Newbie New Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Back in US :(

I'm cool with that! Matsu does have a great site to keep up with the J-League.

VN

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think everybody is giving credit to Matsu for his great job. He deserves it.
    Some of us might have some slight criticism, but since I consider Matsu a mature person, he could use it as he prefers.
    After all it's his own website.

I think that is much better to have this thread in the open, than buried in another place. No worries about flames here: as you have noticed, besides a regrettable exception, we are discussing among adults with a positive attitudes.

8. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

how do you say pimply pre-teen troll in japanese?

9. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

I think the website allows people (especially foreigners like me) to take a more than passing interest in the J-League, because it covers all the teams and the way the league operates in a very concise and mature manner. I especially enjoyed his reviews on each of the J-League seasons because there was a focus on many different areas of development, and not just the standings itself.

10. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

As a REALLY FOOTBALL fan, I think that what everyone wants. Not the standing or results, but how the league has changed overtime and how stable it is in the respective market.

11. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I would like to call this thread: The Kyoto Bashing Thread ;)

12. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Kyoto surely is one of the teams with the weirdnes name.

What the hell is purplesanga.

But they did produce Park Ji-Sung! and won a Emperor's cup with him too.
    As i know, he had no other K-league club that would offer him a contract, so he joined Kyoto after a club test i believe. And now he plays for Manchester United. Quite unbelievable.

Which actually bring up an old memory of Matsu when he was claiming Kurobe or some Sanga forward who had one cap for the national team was just as good as Park Ji-Sung. Problem with Matsu is that he gets blinded by his beliefs.

13. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Kyoto Purple Sanga: Purple refers to the team colour and uniform (紫光). Kyoto used to be the capital city till the Edo period in the late 19th century and Edo was declared the new capital. Edo(means estuary) name was changed to Tokyo (Eastern Capital). Anyway Kyoto was the seat of the King of Japan, and purple is the royal colour, so this reflect Kyotos royal traditions.

Sanga is sanskrit buddhist term combining the meanings of "friend" and "club" together. This reflects Kyoto's buddhist traditions.

apparently they are going to drop the "Purple" part in 2007 and only be known as "Kyoto Sanga".

lol

when the hell was this? and who exactly is this Kurobe, or whoever it was and where is he now?

junjun, you should track this player down, become his agent, sign him on to PSV letting him score a goal or two in the CL, then sign him on to Manchester United, all the while scoring couple of goals in two world cups. Imagine how rich you will be as his agent! perhaps you can give Matsu a finders fee if you feel generous.

14. Acidman

Acidman New Member

May 30, 2005
    Dundee -_-
    He plays for Urawa, and at the time, was playing better than Park, He's just became shit whereas Park has improved considerably

15. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Kurobe never ever makes the bench these days, much less getting a game. Perhaps his only claim to fame will be scoring the goal that gave them the 1-0 win over Bayern Munchen in a friendly.

16. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Let me answer to that in detail:

Purple is the Imperial color, since the Japanese emperor has resided in Kyoto for more than 1,000 year.

Sangha (the sanskrit term has an "h") was the group of monks who followed the Buddha in this pilgrimages around North India. From then on, with such term one refers to the Buddhist monks in general. However, in this case the meaning, as it has been rightly pointed out, is one of "group", so in soccer context is the equivalent of "United" in English teams, or Eintracht in german teams.

Kyoto has more than 2,000 Shinto and/or Buddhist temple. The name of the team reflects this particular aspect of the city, pointing out to the Shinto tradition (thru the imperial color) and the Buddhist heritage (by using "Sanga").

However, the prayers to Amida and the kami did not help this season... :(

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The complete loss of Kurobe and Tomita shows how inept is the management at Sanga. To think about it, it drives me crazy.

Mori (Frontale) and Matsui (Le Mans) were two other players who, after promising much in their first seasons, seemingly were on their sunset boulevard at Sanga. But luckilly for them changed club and saved their careers.

In this year's team there are at least 3-4 very good players (Saito, Watanabe, Katoh and Paulinho...), I am curious to see what will happen to them.

Kyoto's "Fronto" (=management) is incompetent to an annoying degree. The epitome was the great move they did this summer: Alemao out (and he has scored some 15 goals at Yokohama FC in half of the season) and Andre' in: the latter scored a few, before getting chronically injured, elaving Sanga with Tahara (oh my...) as only available center forward...

Last winter they had a chance at Washington, as they talked with him before Reds did, but they said he wanted too much money. The otehr one who would have come was Miura from Vissel. But the "fronto" said no.

So, to save some money there, we are going back to play against Tokushima Vortis in front of 3-4,000 spectators...

Oh dear... Oh dear...

[yep, is Kyoto bashing thread now!! - But I still love the club!!]

18. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

ahh. so its more like SangHa. sounds like some sort of beer.

19. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Now, that is SINGHA the Thai Beer that's great with spicy food... ;)

20. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Maybe they can blur the name a bit to get an extra sponsor then. :D

21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    rising sun news is good but i think it can be a bit biased sometimes-i wouldn't blame matsu because its his own website so he can do whatever he wants.

i thinkteh best blog would be depflights although she hasn't blogged for along time due to her job, but ohwell

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, you have to take everything Matsu says with a grain of salt, especially his haterade for certain players, but I think his national team critiques are usually spot on and his rants against refereeing are entertaining.

I just wish he'd move to a blog format (and it really is a blog, more or less) so it's better organized and updates are easier to get.

23. masterII

masterII New Member

May 11, 2005
    Could you guys pls tell to the dear Matsu about Inamoto..

Thi is a little wierd..

[​IMG]
    Junichi Inamoto
    West Brom

http://www.wldcup.com/Asia/overseas/index.html
    ?

The picture is Garatasaray Inamoto
    Demo,but Under the photo wa West Brom..

I wish, He can change that team name.
    Photo is nice.but under photo is too old..
    Ina play Garatasaray.
    Matsu should change club name ;under of the photo.

Arigato.

24. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
  25. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

People are aware that Matsu is is SmokingMan right??