Riptide Meet the Coaches Event

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Meinert6, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Saturday, March 6, 1:00
    Vlora Restaurant (545 Boylston St., Boston)

Come meet Breakers coaches Tony DiCicco and Lisa Cole, ask some questions, have some lunch, and meet other Breakers fans all while getting the inside scoop on the upcoming 2010 season. This event is for Riptide members only, so be sure to arrive a bit early (~12:45) to sign up/renew for 2010.

It should be a great event (I know I have a lot of burning questions for Tony), and I hope to see you there!

2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted on Twitter.

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump!

Hopefully we have a good turnout for this one!! It should be fun!

:D

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report?

5. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Anyone hear how preseason camp is going? What about the draftees?

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's all classified information Nat....You should have shown up!

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have any of you been checking out the reports on preseason training session that Lisa Cole has been posting here?. For the complete outsider (is in me, many, many miles from Boston who knows no one associated w/ WPS officials) it is pretty interesting.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. it's great that Lisa is doing that....I'm sure she'll provide great insight as we head deeper into preseason with matches etc...

Just a couple of notes from MTC:

Cynthia Morote-Ariza did her ACL in training so she's out...They won't rush Nobis or Enyert back. Nobis out for the year, might see Enyert in the summer

Greer Barnes and Andrea Willis have been released from camp....

The camp roster will be trimmed to 24 on March 14th...the final roster will only be determined after all the teams have had a chance to pick over the released players...

The open tryout brought Analisa Marquez a defender from Arizona who has really impressed thus far...

Alli Lipsher projected to be the starter right now, Alyssa Naeher closely behind. Ashley Phillips will be the #3, they're really impressed with her as well...

Del Rio is alot like Karen Carney....Alex Scott was very happy to see her on the team, she said she as one of the toughest players she's ever had to mark..

The team wanted to keep Christine Latham, just needed her to wait for the "green card" paperwork the Breakers had started to come through....She opted to give it a go in Atlanta...

6 matches on FSC. They're working with Jersey and Atlanta to share resources to be able to televise other matches locally, may add a couple of matches to the mix...

They'll also have at least 2 away matches webcasted like last year....

The Breakers and Riptide are going to work together to get a bus trip organized for the match in New Britain, CT

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update :)

Bad news about another ACL injury. Those suck. A lot. Do you know if Enyeart is doing rehab in Boston w/ the team or is she staying where ever it is that she lives/had surgery/was doing rehab?

Reading through the lines of the stuff Cole posted & the cuts you mention, it seems Willis & Barnes really did not meet the fitness/beep test standard. If you're going to play pro ball, you've got to be in pro shape.

As for Latham, good luck to her in her quest to make a WPS roster (and get a greencard). She can be a very serviceable player for some team and I wish her the best of luck.

I'm looking forward to the webcasts :)

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't remember if Tony said Michelle was here doing rehab or not...anyone?

I asked Tony what if any control the team has over our players playing indoors over the winter...which types and quality of surfaces etc...

He said they have none! The coaches cannot be involved with the players in the offseason so they are on their own to stay fit and to their credit they did everything they could to do so...

I know some of them were playing indoors etc. The Coed stuff really scares me, in coaching all ages over the last 15 years or so I've seen way too many indoor injuries...at least 2 to 1 during Coed matches. Especially U18+

He mentioned that Nobis was working very hard in the offseason both overseas and in the Philly area before coming up here....playing indoors etc. I also asked him how Jennys injury happened and never got the answer...I didn't press it, we just knocked on wood the ACL injuries were done for us this year!!

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, in a professional league, coaches cannot be involved w/ off season work even for players under contract? geeze. Even the NCAAs allow a spring season workouts. I get that free agents would be all on their own to be in shape & improve their game. But no off season work out contact for players on contract? Craziness. Any idea why?

12. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess it's the type of contract they are on...

IDK if it's because they're contracted for 7 months or what...

Maybe Andy will poke his head in and clarify...

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you must be right in that I think the official line is "7 month contract" so perhaps the "no involvement" rule is to prevent any sort of "work without pay" claim situation. At least one GM has said that (some? he wasn't specific) players did have health insurance through the team for the entire year so that seems to be an exception to the "hands completely off" rules. I wonder if that is contract specific to what each individual can negotiate in the absence of a union and collective bargaining agreement.

14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 18 players under regular contracts have insurance for 12 months...

The 4 developmental players do not...

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which makes sense.