RIP Mike Hogewood

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I didn't realize this had happened till I saw this article today on Deadspin, but college soccer lost an ally this week.

Mike Hogewood, a North Carolina-based broadcaster who called a lot of ACC sports of all stripes, died this week. Like most working in college sports, football and basketball was his bread and butter but he called a lot of ACC soccer over the year.

https://deadspin.com/mike-hogewood-was-the-acc-1828854726

If you've watched an ACC Tournament game, men's and women's, on TV or online the past 20 years or so, odds are Hogewood was doing the play-by-play. He wasn't much passionate about the game, as it just wasn't his nature, but he always called it with a firm understanding of what it meant to the players, students, coaches, family and fans.

His voice had credibility in college sports circles, especially in ACC territory, so if he was calling a game, it gave it some regional gravitas.

So, RIP to Mike, condolences to his friends and family and thanks for helping promote and grow college soccer.

2. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks for this post. For me Mike Hogewood is ACC sports, if fact Mike was so diverse in his abilities he could cover any sport. I have an old VHS promotional tape of the 1984 ACC Swimming and Diving championship that Mike was the commentator. Swimming of all sports. I was fortunate enough to compete in that event and believe Mike actually spoke my name.

For me he is one of three sports announcers voices I can hear in my head, Marty Brennaman, announcer of the Cincinnati Reds, the voice of my youth; Gary Hahn, the voice of the Wolfpack and Mike Hogewood, the voice of the ACC.

RIP, Mike

fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching ACC sports will never be the same without Mike Hogewood

fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.