RIP Grant Wahl

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Craig P, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In a theoretical situation in which they actually decided to kill a too critical western journalist - which I don't believe happened here - do you truly think that would be a truly deterring factor?

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Grant explained how he felt his "upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort" last Saturday, in retrospect it does stand out and makes one wonder if there was a failure of due diligence by the medical staff in Qatar when he went in for examination. Perhaps it was just symptoms from an upper respiratory infection, but we don't know yet. I recently lost my brother, also only in his 40's, to a sudden cardiac episode that nobody saw coming. He was there by morning and simply gone by afternoon. So, I unfortunately know from experience how it is possible for these awful things to occur suddenly and unexpectedly. In Grant's case, whether there was foul play involved or it was just tragically coincidental circumstances, I cannot say. But, the autopsy will be vital here for the family (and even our country), and I hope the body will securely be returned to the US without political complications.

LouisZ, dark knight, ensco and 7 others repped this.
  4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This begs the question by assuming they have “decided” to do so in the first place. But would western repercussions factor into a decision to harm a high profile western journalist? Yes definitely.

Kirium repped this.
  5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    As someone pointed out earlier - it doesn’t make a ton of sense for Qatar to do this during their massive ad blitz. If we are going to speculate - Saudis trying to make Qatar look bad (as someone suggested to me) might make more sense as far as conspiracies go. But yeah - some kind of medical event is the most likely - who knows what was in his cough syrup (not in a sinister way) and the quality of the care he got - before and after. Might not have mattered.

Elninho, TimB4Last, Ghost and 1 other person repped this.
  6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last two are just descriptive more than explanatory. Cardiac arrest means the heart stopped, doesn't tell you why. A fatal seizure is just another term for what can be obviously observed to have occurred--he suddenly had a major medical incident and died. Without an autopsy none of these news organizations can tell us anything about the underlying causes.

Winoman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  7. Pickles

Pickles Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Horrible news. Just horrible. A real champion of the sport in the United States.

I do hope a proper autopsy is performed, and we'll see from there whether conspiracy theories need to be entertained. At age 52 my dad got real sick, had something that some doctor thought was bronchitis, and it got worse and another doctor checked it out and diagnosed congestive heart failure. A couple days later my dad got a quadruple bypass (and lived nine more years). Just never know sometimes.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrible loss.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condolences to his family.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    To be fair, they’ve done a lot of things during their sportswashing episode that seem to be nonsensical and counterproductive.

But the simplest explanation is usually the correct one-they didn’t catch the signs at the hospital and it ended up costing him his life.

It’s been telling how many fellow journalists have stories of Wahl going above and beyond to help them in their careers. What an immense loss, and a total shame he won’t be here to enjoy 2026.

11. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember him posting here. it feels like american soccer fandom is a small world now, but back then, it was *really* small, and it felt exciting that we could all play a part in forming what american soccer would become.

this world cup is corrupt (more than most), the disgusting abuses of human rights in qatar are obvious and ongoing, and the number of people willing to acknowledge those things *and* exhibit genuine enthusiasm and joy for the game itself is depressingly small. After losing Wahl that number is even smaller.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have been thinking about this quite a bit and the first emotion is just one of shock. Wahl is someone whose worked I’ve followed for a long time and he was writing about soccer at a time where no one else really was. As you can tell by all the fellow reporters tweeting about him, he was clearly someone who really worked to help his colleagues too and grow coverage of the sport in this country. I can’t imagine what his family is thinking in this moment.

It’s ironic his most famous story is the one he did about Lebron James because he is a pioneer in this country for his work on soccer.

He said on his podcast last week that this was the 8th World Cup he’s covered, and it’s sad that four years from now we are going to be having a World Cup in the US and be won’t be here to cover it.

He really does go way back with a lot of the people in US Soccer. He went to Princeton with Jesse Marsch and I believed covered both Marsch and Bradley as a student reporter while there.

An autopsy will certainly be conducted to determine the actual cause of death and if warranted the US government should fully investigate what occurred. I don’t know if anything sinister occurred, but seems like a situation where you want to do you due diligence. It seems like it would have very stupid for Qatar to have tried something like this during the World Cup. Of course it was very stupid for MBS to have killed Khashoggi. If it’s ultimately determined there was foul play, it’s also possible someone lower down the chain misunderstood or thought they were doing someone a favor without thinking it through.

goussoccer, Winoman, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no defibrillator is confirmed?

14. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricin

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was St. Paul. I had an invite but couldn't attend.

FYI...anytime a US citizen passes outside the country, the State Department becomes involved, with the point responsibility falling upon the closest embassy or consulate.

(Longtime posters will remember that I have a very personal reason for knowing this. :()

Lloyd Heilbrunn, LouisZ, mbar and 6 others repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't they required? Especially after Ericksen literally dying on the field at the last Euros, and the defibrillator being a main reason he's alive today?

xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking the same thing. And, while my being upset about this leads me to want to blame them for their failure, I can EASILY imagine the same thing happening here in the US or any other country with even better healthcare systems.

dark knight and tomásbernal repped this.
  18. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    We wouldn't want his personal thoughts about his recent health issues to get into circulation, wold we?

19. jgardner02

jgardner02 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Probably would have. The chest pressure he mentioned wasn't bronchitis, was unstable angina or an MI that he misattributed to infection (and that whoever ran the medical tent or whatever messed up terribly. I'd bet you $100 they didn't get an EKG)

xbhaskarx and Alberto repped this.
  20. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero idea what your point is here. Not sure you want to argue with me on this.

21. jgardner02

jgardner02 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    100%. It was unstable angina/ myocardial infarction. Needed an EKG and then a cath.

This story happens enough in this country that don't even need to wait for autopsy. He was having chest pressure, he's 49 and didn't think it could be his heart so downplayed it. Went to the medical tent, told them he thought he had a virus or infection so they just gave him abx and steroids and didn't investigate it.

22. chrisinho

chrisinho Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Back in HelLA
    BS isn't the government. They're a corporation and they can remove whatever they want.

Lloyd Heilbrunn and dark knight repped this.
  23. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never had much respect for the quality of civility of discussions on this forum so I'm not surprised by some of what I'm reading here, but could some of you please at least have some respect and be a civil adult in an RIP thread.

goussoccer, ChrisSSBB, NorthBank and 4 others repped this.
  24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality of care he received when he went to the medical center in Qatar matters completely. The article I read said he got antibiotics and cough syrup for his condition. We don't know if he had fluid in his lungs, Pneumonia? Difficulty in breathing? How was his Oxygen level? Too many questions, no answers yet.

Fine writer who made huge contributions to the game.

Rest in peace Grant Wahl. Prayers to your family.

Winoman, dark knight and TurdFerguson repped this.
  25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting an EKG is such an easy thing to get. It would be criminal if he didn't get one

xbhaskarx repped this.