RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Agree completely. It’s definitely a huge passing and he’ll be greatly missed. But part of me was mourning him c1998 when it was clear his lifestyle had taking a huge toll on his physical health. He’s kinda like Gazza and George Best in that regard. It’s still quite sad. Like those two, he never lost his ability to be super personable, but the Diego we all admired died a long time ago.

usscouse and soccernutter repped this.
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He created his brilliance, worked for it. It's his to respect or not, IMO. But I think he made the most of it, as translated to results. I don't see Argentina winning 1994 even with him there the whole way. I'll say that I can't imagine that coke is a PED. That's FIFA moralizing, like the NFL does with weed. I'll never try powda, but I'm sure the energy boost is offset by bad decisionmaking.

He won a World Cup, reached another final, took a team that hadn't won jack to two Scudetti and a UEFA Cup, managed his country's national team, and became a legend in two nations. I don't know how much more he could have accomplished on the pitch if he'd stayed clean. At some point, most people are going to start enjoying the fruits of their labor. He just chose the wrong substance.

He's not built like CR7 or Balotelli or anyone like that. Without superhuman efforts to stay in shape, he was always going to be fat one day, and probably dangerously so.

dapip, usscouse and InTheSun repped this.
  3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I would recommend the great Asif Kapadia documentary from last year to help understand Maradona. This was a kid that was born and raised in a truly horrible slum. At fifteen when he was signed by Argentinos Jrs, he became the economic salvation of his family of seven. Just imagine that pressure at fifteen years old. Basically from then on he also became increasingly famous to such a degree that he couldn't do the most normal things kids and young adults do. This would mess with anyone's head. Some other turns of fate in his life also explain to some degree how he lost his way. Going to Napoli at that moment in history was probably the worst place he could wind up.

Anyway I came away with a much kinder view of him and in many ways what a tragedy his life was.

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The guy was coked out of his gourd within a year of joining Napoli until the end of his playing days. I suppose it’s possible (but doubtful) that cocaine or something equally destructive in the long term would have been a crutch to allow him to perform better in light of the enormous pressure placed on him. But we’ll never know if he made the most of it. He even admitted as much.

The guy is indisputably a top 3 player of all time and he’s arguably the best. But he wasn’t clean during any point of the greatest 5-6 years of his career. I don’t think had the sort of body type that would age well in the game, but he probably had a lot more greatness in him during his peak and in the 6 years that followed from 90-96. Like you said, it was his to do with as he wished, but it’s possible he could have been the greatest ever by some distance had he not been caught up in things to the extent he was.

Regardless, with 20 years of hard living piling up by the early 00s, it seemed like a matter of time. It’s something of a miracle he made it to 60.

dapip repped this.
  5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a loaded post. The guy is arguably among the two best players who walked this earth. He had his flaws and acknowledged that more than once, let's wait for his burial before piling up. Let's celebrate his genius, brilliance and unbelievable talents.

russ and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To be clear, it was Italian football that first suspended him for cocaine use. FIFA extended it towards any sanctioned FA league around the world. While you can view it as moralizing, it was probably also a way to force him to get treatment. Pretty sure Napoli also knew of his addiction but ignored it until it became out of hand as he started missing the few practices he was contracted to show up for ... and the team started suffering for it.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    dapip, russ and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2020 curse goes on.....Former Senegal star Papa Bouba Diop passed at age 42.

bigredfutbol, russ, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Thoughts and prayers! :confused:

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ????

What did I miss?

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazypete13 repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you notice the similarites between the two goals? Messi was wearing the same Newells jersey that Maradona had.

15. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Does Messi have an all-female communications team?

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try this again.

????

What did I miss?

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A smartass comment about a post that doesn't belong in the thread.

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Maybe someone meant to post this clip ;)

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @chaski . I posted the wrong clip...........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I keep wondering what @superdave can't see....lol

20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I passed their 50Q test 9 times and did the backroom mock game and all that. Never got on. They really didnt need me.

xtomx repped this.
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1396 Smurfquake, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    I believe Dan Loney was on Jeopardy. He said (I think on Twitter) that he lost badly, third out of three, that kind of thing. And he's a pretty smart guy, at least for a Galaxy fan.

edit to add: a tweet from Dan Loney in which he mentions losing on Jeopardy in 1994.

207653622983557120 is not a valid tweet id

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Knowing stuff is one thing. Recalling it on demand in a matter of seconds (and before the person beside you does it) is a different and not totally related skill.

I can easily imagine someone who's extremely informed on one topic or subtopic. But these folks who do well on as wide a range as you get in Jeopardy... I can't help but think they're missing out on something. Women, sports, cars... something's probably missing.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So in other words, the average Big Soccer poster. :p

roby and Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    not only that, but the timing with the buzzer looks tricky. How many times have you seen someone going nuts with the clicker to no avail? Talk about frustration. You do all the hard stuff ( get on the show) yet get beat because you can’t answer the questions.

To your point, it’s one thing to miss out, but it’s another to be oblivious to pop culture or general knowledge of semi current events even if it isn’t in your wheelhouse of interests.

some of it is generational. I don’t expect people to know the name of Justin Beibers first album.
    I do expect them to be able to answer a question about Peyton manning formerly playing for the colts and winning a super bowl with Denver given simple clues.

raza_rebel and Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't watch enough to have seen that.

Agreed. Waay too many people out there like that.

Nor do I. In fact, that's the sort of thing that should be forgotten by anyone who does know it...

He also won one with the Colts in 2006. Over the Bears. On a rainy day.
    That's not my wheelhouse, but it's part of culture, and we should knwo these things.

raza_rebel and bostonsoccermdl repped this.