RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mean, neither of you is wrong, but, TJ, this did come off just a bit like a correction...

2. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I see what you’re getting at, but as Auria pointed out...”guys” and last I checked none of those players won an NBA title. But in the spirit of things, yeah, a lot of women have done this. 6 of 12 on the 2016 women’s Olympic roster did and 7 of 12 from 2012. It’s much easier for women to pull off this feat than men for a lot of pretty obvious reasons.

but the good part: none of these people in both the men’s and women’s side of this have recently died.

Auriaprottu and rslfanboy repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Isn't it time for one of the Evil Ones to die by now?

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Listening to the classic Women and Children First this morning, for no reason

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am kind of torn on this issue. IMO 1984 was one of the weakest Van Halen albums. In the late 80s they kind of found a new groove as the quintessential california rock band with Hagar

On the other hand WACF and the earlier period is some good stuff.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So Valerie Bertinelli is single?

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Since the news of EVH broke learned a few things

1)Amazon music doesn’t have complete albums
    2)all of my CD’s are in deep storage above the garage
    3)CD’s that you spent an hour trying to find don’t work when you no longer own a CD player

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    #1283 taosjohn, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Maybe. One of the feature of being a fan of WoSo as well as men's is the constant exposure to commentators who proudly proclaim that "Joe Doakes has 151 caps, more than anyone else ever." as though Kristine Lilly's 354 weren't there at all.

So yeah, those players and others won state, NCAA, Olympic, and WNBA championships-- and for that matter Bird at least has won one or two in Russia as well-and I don't evenhave to look it up to know it.AndWNBA not being NBA is pretty meaningless; you can only win what you are in a position to play for, and to my eyes the WNBA is actually more competitive than the NBA most years.

So if it is a correction, it is a correct one. Lisa Leslie and Dawn Staley too, I think.

roby, crazypete13 and Val1 repped this.
  9. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being cheeky or serious?
    She divorced Eddie some time ago and has re-married. She always was cooking something up for her husband's family when they came to visit when she had her show on Food Network, recently.

Also, Johnny Nash, who had a hit in the early '70's with "I Can See Clearly Now", passed away yesterday too. He was 80.

xtomx repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She divorced Eddie Van Halen in 2007 and remarried...I checked when I read the news. ;)

Beat me to it.

True, but she often cooks for her son with Eddie Van Halen, Wolfgang, and she would talk more about Eddie Van Halen on her show than her "current" husband.

I watch too many cooking shows.

SetPeace repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about players who won the Euroleague, the NBA and the Olympics?

Bill Bradley and Manu Ginobili.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    TJ, the bolded actually IS a statement that more or less deliberately demeans Lilly and the rest of the ladies thru pure ignorance. That Chicago's statement was about black plums (and not about plums in general) doesn't mean that he thinks red plums don't exist or that they aren't real plums.

Look. I'm a supporter of an MLS club who sees my club's accomplishments over a short time being minimized every day by Europeans and Mexicans on social media. If I were to start a thread about what men's national teams have the highest number of continental championships, that thread would be mocked into oblivion because everybody and his bro knows the Gold Cup isn't a Copa America or a Euro. They'd know I used "continental championships" to try to place the USMNT and Mexico on or above the level of teams that have far more talent. I get that. MLS is, at best, in the top 40% or so of the world's leagues. OTOH, the NBA is the most talented and athletic basketball league on Earth.

I had to google "Joe Doakes". 'Fess up- that was just an agenda statement.
    The male player who has more caps than any male ever is by definition above average, even tho Lilly has more.

If the statement had addressed pro basketball as a whole, he'd have been wrong to leave them out. If you want to talk about plums in general, it'd have been nicer to simply say, "and the following players have won staties, natties Olys and a WNBA title..." . He wasn't wrong. He just wasn't talking as broadly as you wanted him to.

It's not meaningless at all if the discussion is about black plums. He also didn't mention the Greek or Turkish or Italian league. Plenty of those guys aren't in a position to play in the NBA, either.

I used to watch Auburn and Tennessee women's ball when they reached the NCAA final. Summitt's teams got it done, Ciampi's didn't.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've never been in a position of being able to marry a famous jet-set woman, but this is one of the things I'd be concerned about if I were. It's one thing to ******** behind EVH, quite another to try to duplicate the lifestyle those guys had that excited her and attracted her to him to begin with.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    They were married for 26 years. She left because he was a terrible drunk and she wasn't and she was out of other leverage to stop him from killing himself with it, It did finally do the trick, but if you are going to do that, you have to mean it or it won't work long term.

SetPeace and xtomx repped this.
  15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    OK then, I think this is just shaved too fine for what was really just an offhand reminder that there is a whole other gender where the equivalent achievement is not so uncommon.

16. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note that all 3 of these players were standouts at Big 10 schools.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm just saying that the first things she saw and the first experiences she had with the lead guitarist of one of the most famous rock bands of all time weren't anything that could be equaled or bested by a guy whose job involves a corner office on the top floor*. History's full of good women who love bad boys longer than they should. Dude #2 has a ring in his nose and lives with her memories of dude #1. Not a good look.

*I have no idea who the current hubby is or what he does.

<throws up hands> Okay. But I'm old enough to remember when technically right was the best kind... the only kind, really.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Nor fair at all; You reach a certain age single, and everybody around is either a child or has left over entanglements or something wrong with them in another way. You look around and decide where you can do some good and what flaws you are better suited to be patient with than the next guy. But I would never expect someone with a quarter century love affair behind them to be entirely detached from it-- that is neither human nor humane.

You don't get over those things, you learn to live around them, and you build new stuff in yourself so's to have something to give to the next one. That's not a ring in anybody's nose.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nor would I. My point was not that she should never remarry, or that she should be expected to forget anything- I mean only that the new dude has some big shoes to fill, or he'll end up being the Safe, Stable Guy. That's all.

The "ring" comment was an off-handed quote I heard today watching some Western series, not about Valerie or her spouse. It was directed at a married guy by a single guy in a joking manner during a card game in a saloon.

I have FAR more divorced folks among my friends than folks who are still married. Perhaps a good reason I've never been married myself.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Reading "I want my MTV" really reinforced that Van Halen were true bad boys of rock back in the day. They appear to have been drunk near constantly. I guess that habit was hard to break...

21. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    President John Tyler's grandson passed away last month.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless he was the lead singer of Aerosmith... wrong thread...

;)

dapip repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I saw this discussed in the Famous Dead Folks in the Music forum.

It's kind of startling that the grandson of a man who died before the Civil War ended is just now kicking the bucket. "My daddy used to babysit Billy The Kid" is a hell of a convo starter...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    In 1777, the winter of Valley Forge, a Colonial foraging party visited a Tory farmhouse in Jersey. owned by the Chapin family. They took livestock and some stored grain, which was how armies were fed then, but they also took the family silver contrary to Washington's standing orders for foraging parties, and the patriarch knew it and sent his hired hand to the camp to complain. Washington was mortified and busted the officers involved, and personally returned the silver.
    The scion of the household was a five year old, Benijah, was not a Tory, and insisted on meeting the great man. who bent down and shook his hand.

The family were among the scads of Tories who went to Nova Scotia after the peace. But when Benijah reached adulthood he returned, settling in NY state, and became a successful, even celebrated furniture craftsman, and lived to his late nineties. Somewhere late in life he took on an apprentice, one John Sweet.

Sweet became as successful and celebrated a craftsman and also lived to be an old man; in his late sixties he took up gunsmithing and entered into a sort of home and home with the best local gunmaker, M. S, "Pop" Risley who wanted to bulid better furniture. My father in turn learned gunsmithing from Risley as a college student in the late thirties and married his niece in 1940. I am partly named for him,

in 1954 I was 3, just starting to walk easily. We visited the Risley farm, the extended family center, My great uncle, known as "Shirly" to the family made a little ceremony of shaking hands with me-- so that i would always be able to say that i shook hands with a man (Risley) who shook hands with a man (Sweet) who shook hands with a man (Chapin) who shook hands with George Washington.

So yeah, I can see some weight of a sort in the youngest Tyler grandchild-- who is still alive BTW, it was the older one who passed.

And there are still a hatful of folks around here who knew people who knew Billy the Kid...

InTheSun, dapip, crazypete13 and 4 others repped this.
  25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Not as interesting as your story but my Papa was born in 1892 just a mere 6 yrs before the sinking of the Maine. :(