RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Weird NBA fact, they have been awarding the MVP award since the 1955-56 season and every single MVP except for 3 are alive right now. Wilt, Moses Malone, and Kobe.

sitruc, soccernutter, Chicago76 and 2 others repped this.
  2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Here you go....

[​IMG]

3. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah. There have been older guys pre-shot clock era who have passed, but I imagine most NBA fans would be hard pressed to name anyone from that period (living or dead) outside of Mikan and Cousy.

Expanding from MVPs a bit, every deceased shot clock era player (54/55 rookie class on) who managed to get an all league first team nod: Maravich (88), Wilt (99), DJ (07), Moses (15), Hawkins (17), Havlicek (18), and now Bryant. Crazy to think there were only 3 as recently as 5 years ago.

The generations spanning Russ to Erving are to basketball what DiMaggio to roughly Brooks Robinson is to baseball. Basketball is on about a 20 year lag from MLB, so more of our greats are still around. Statistics says otherwise, but it would be nice for everyone left to make it through the 75th anniversary celebration in 2021-22.

sitruc, Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Amazing what not constantly and violently banging into one another in full body contact and not getting multiple concussions will do to prolong an athlete's life.
    I mean this for NFL players, boxers, professional wrestlers (if we can categorize them as athletes), etc.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Always wondered how heading affected soccer players. I haven't seen studies on it

6. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I would think that most posters in BS have played soccer at one time or another. Reading their posts should give you a clue. :D

Hayaka, chaski, russ and 3 others repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Some more than others. :p

roby and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  8. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Definitely. But then again, I’d think that super tall people would have poor longevity as well.

9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There have been studies on children and, from what I have seen, in some youth leagues, heading has been banned.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It has in most place up to a certain age. When they become teenagers they have no sense anyway so it's head away! :eek:

xtomx repped this.
  11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    We could probably get rid of it at all levels and the game wouldn’t change that much. Play the ball out of the back, less kick and run/targeting, more creative play and finding holes in the final third to finish. Can’t do that with football though. IIRC, the biggest source of concussions in youth/HS level soccer is collisions. At least for tween/teen girls. There’s a really outsized risk of knee injuries for girls at that age too. I think that had something to do with how hip position really places a strain on knees when it comes to lateral movement because they were picking up the same male-female knee injury disparities in basketball as well.

It’s been awhile since I looked at the data though.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes collisions are the cause for youth soccer concussions. That and jackass kids with jackass coaches and jackass parents "boarding" opponents into indoor walls, will all parties shrieking if penalized, while the victim suffers a concussion.

I saw that happen several times over the years.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    It is worth keeping in mind, though, that the present understanding of the problem in football is that it isn't really the concussions that do it-- they're bad in and of themselves, but that CTE per se is the product of "accumulated subtraumatic percussive events." That that damage is more cellular than organic.

My understanding is that the early returns on studies of heading suggest that it does not appear to do enough of that sort of thing to cause problems from adolescence on.

It is the crackin' skulls contesting headers, passing concussion protocols, resuming play, and contesting more headers that seems to be more the source of concern ATM.

It is hard to believe though, when you watch Becky plant her feet under a high flyer and imitate a fireplug to drive it 20 yards upfield... that's gotta be a bit of a jolt...

Chicago76 repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Cellular damage also occurs when flattening a miscreant texting while crossing the street. :devilish:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    What if a Doc Holliday had a Piper Cub?

song219, superdave and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He would have stuck around and shot it out anyway... then maybe taken the plane ride for for gits and shiggles

russ, Dr. Wankler and fatbastard repped this.
  19. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    You got your Doc Holliday and I got mine. :coffee:

[​IMG]

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Ruh-roh. Some Gayle King-Snoop Dogg beef over her asking a question about Kobe's rape case

Host of CBS’ This Morning Gayle King has apologized after her questions about Kobe Bryant’s rape case went viral and were criticized by many, including rapper Snoop Dogg.

King sat down with retired WNBA star Lisa Leslie on Tuesday to talk about Bryant’s legacy, according to CBS. Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, and seven others died in a helicopter crash in Calabasas last month, The Sacramento Bee previously reported.

Bringing up Bryant’s 2003 rape charge, King asked, “It’s been said that his legacy is complicated because of a sexual assault charge which was dismissed in 2003, 2004. Is it complicated for you, as a woman, as a WNBA player?”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article240035398.html

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess #metoo stops at the alledged attackers death

22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. I bet Weinstein won't be mourned.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nor should he be mourned.

24. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I’m also uncomfortable with people being chastised for bringing up Kobe’s Colorado adventure.

Val1 and fatbastard repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kobe forgot to look in the mirror before his evening began, looks like. Snoop isn't going to do anything to Gayle King except maybe help cut into her popularity a bit. He's got far too much going on financially to risk it all on her.