RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok mate....:thumbsup:

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Only Auria would worry about some forgotten OJ spawn now in their 50s. Truly comical he is. Thanks for the laughs, funny guy :ROFLMAO:

charlie15 repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Still arguing about him as OJ collects dust in a football urn on Al Cowlings mantle. This is peak P&CE I tell ya!

BocaFan repped this.
  4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now an update from OJs asshole lawyer:

“I can tell you in advance, Fred Goldman’s claim will be accepted. And his claim will be handled in accordance with Nevada law,” LaVergne told THR, admitting that his earlier remarks were not in response to Fred Goldman, who has been relentless in his pursuit of justice for his son since the 1997 civil trial verdict, but toward his attorneys.

“Within an hour of knowing that O.J. died, he started talking shit. My advocate instinct is was, ‘Oh, you’re gonna keep shitting on him even after he’s dead?’” he said. “’Fine, you know? You get nothing.’ And so, those were my remarks then. But I backtracked, and they were pretty harsh remarks. And now I’m going in the other direction.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...ivil-judgement-goldman-family-1235874717/amp/

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, it's about how some people (I suppose mostly Whites) respond when a rich Black man gets a rich man's verdict. It was never about OJ. Nothing about this case matters or has ever mattered except the post-verdict anger, which you seemingly share.

I'm just the messenger, Mr. Fuhrmann. Don't shoot me.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Post-Verdict Anger. It's not just the 800lb gorilla in the room- it's the only gorilla in the room.

dapip and Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    It is Al the hand wringing about the two tier justice system that only occured to people when a rich black man beat the wrap.

dapip and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I really can't say it any more different ways without getting it through if they deliberately don't want to get it.

The headline should always have been "White Public, Presented With Wealthy NonWhite Defendant Acquittal, Chooses This Day To Care About Courtroom Corruption And Murder" The vehicle/stimuli (in this case, OJ) doesn't really matter. But focusing on the crime and victims/families allows them to deflect from the bigger picture.

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Like how making a murderer show how a DA and cops could railroad a man.

10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    How could we forget a notorious football player who went on to become a notorious film actor! :ninja:

upload_2024-4-16_7-5-18.jpeg

11. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I looked very, very askance at white folks who were outraged by this verdict and this verdict only. What a tell.

But I also acknowledge that justice wasn’t done in this specific case and I’m not sure that you do.

IOW I reject the two wrongs make a right argument but you seem to be endorsing it.

taosjohn repped this.
  12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    YankHibee and InTheSun repped this.
  15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    His compositions & arrangements not too shabby either. "In memory of Elizabeth Reed", for example, is phenomenal.

16. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if that song inspired this fantastic song by fIREHOSE. Cotton was a blues singer from Carrboro, which is pretty much literally the other side of the tracks from Chapel Hill.

her story is incredible…born in the 1890s, did some groundbreaking work, then got married and quit music for 25 years before the Seegers, for whom she was a domestic worker (small ********ing world!!!)…well the article below says “discovered” but that’s like saying Columbus discovered the Indians. Not sure what verb is appropriate. Anyway she was part of the ca. 1960 rediscovery of Ledbetter and Woody Guthrie, old timey folkies championed by the new generation folkies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Cotten

taosjohn repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, played in a cover band in high school and we did that song. I was the hack of the four but loved playing that bass line. Song suited us as our vocals and PA both sucked.

Auriaprottu and InTheSun repped this.
  18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen them several times. Pretty good show for a bunch of 90's covers.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #4646 Auriaprottu, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Well, duh. Clapton made his money playing at blues and R&B. Richards made his playing at R&B. Forrest Richard Betts pretty much helps define Southern Rock. Less charitable Black people would suggest that he's still ripping us off, but I'm willing to let them call it a genre.

Really Richards ain't a player- he's famous because of his band.

YankHibee repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also, they're Brits. They don't have a Southern background from which to make this sound original. Betts is not Black, but he's Southern.

Strange about me anyway. I dig what I perceive as Britsoul (really bad name, just call it popular) and my fave youth band's vocalist faked a Jamaican accent. I love Zeppelin's forays into bluesy stuff (especially Riverside and Losing You), but Clapton has always sounded contrived to me. Not necessarily his playing, but him and his voice and his Britishness.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Clapton had like 10 good years & then stagnated like many 60s guys in the 80s. Most acts if they get 10 good years are lucky. What did The Beatles have like 8?

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They lose popularity for several reasons, mostly because they have only so much material that people want to hear before what they do best gets replaced by something else. Some of it's because their following gets too old to continue supporting the artist, and of course at the same time, other styles are coming to the forefront. The Police reinvented themselves musically at least twice in a seven-year span, seemingly making the right call on each as far as their appeal went.

Never said he wasn't a seller of records. I'm just not a fan. I don't hate his music- I like Promises and Cocaine from his solo stuff, but the rest is just meh. Maybe Lay Down Sally because I heard it during a fun time, wouldn't much care for the song on its own. Layla got played too much, and it was never the anthem to me that it seemed to be for so many others. I even rented a video of one of his concerts back in the early 90s, was not really interested in hearing more. Brought to you by Moet et Chandon, and Coca-Cola.. Eric Clapton!

23. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Yeah, groups of people get tired of working and winning together after awhile at the top. In the same way, I'm certain Pep and Citeh will eventually get bored of continuing their tyrannical one-team rule over their league.