RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    OJ gonna be burnt up. Won't donate his f'd up brain to CTE study

O.J. Simpson will be cremated; estate executor says 'hard no' to controversial ex-athlete’s brain being studied for CTE

The executor, Malcolm LaVergne, who was Simpson's longtime lawyer, said he also wants to "tone down the rhetoric"

A lawyer who represented O.J. Simpson, who died from cancer last week at 76, said Sunday that the former NFL star’s body will be cremated in the coming days, and there are no plans to have his brain donated to science.

“On at least one occasion, someone has called saying he’s a CTE guy who studies the brain,” said attorney Malcolm LaVergne, referring to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease that has been studied in former football players and is associated with behavioral and cognitive issues related to repeated head injuries.

“That’s a hard no,” LaVergne added. “His entire body, including his brain, will be cremated.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...utor-says-hard-no-controversial-ex-rcna147756

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, you're so bitter! Related to Brown? Or Goldman?

It's stupid of you to wonder about that anyways. Ballcarriers at that level rarely take the sort of multiple hits that cause CTE. Him, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Marcus Allen, not as likely as an Earl Campbell, or at the lower level, John Riggins or Herschel Walker. Everybody gets hit in the NFL, but big guys with little to no elusiveness get hit like that a lot. Also DBs and LBs. Linemen are probably too slow and too close together to generate the speed that turns mass into force.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Head smashing starts in Pop Warner. His handlers should want to check for CTE to maybe explain his nuttiness.

They're hiding his assets from the Browns & Goldmans in a final douchey move

charlie15 repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The name Mike Webster ring a bell?

Umm, no pun intended.

Dr. Wankler, taosjohn, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup, bitter. Airports weren't the only thing he ran through.
    Bills beat your Giants a lot back then?

It's not douchey if you're Marguerite's kid. LOL, who is "they", anyhow?

Besides, the Browns got everything they needed white he was alive. They ought not be asking for any more. Denise in particular needs to STFU about domestic violence the way she put band-aids on her sister and sent her back to OJ so the family could live well. Goldman's dad is dead. Mom? Can't say. Ron didn't have any brats, so the money goes to some random family member...

6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Your takes are so shitty sometimes.
    Goldman’s beloved and devastated sister, who was steadfastly present for much of the trial, is not some rando.

And even so, OJ’s money should go to the loved ones of those he killed, as was adjudicated in court. It’s called consequence. Sorry Marguerite’s kid. Your dad killed someone, so you shouldn’t get to live off of his wealth. Bummer.

ElNaranja, roadkit, soccernutter and 5 others repped this.
  7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The way they Brown family was willing to let her be in an abusive relationship to keep the gravy train going is often swept under the rug.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh. I'm sinking no lower than Pizza's attempts to attack the first murder defendant in his privileged life. I should be surprised at the level of vitriol one trial can produce out of people who should have been angry earlier and more often, but I'm not.

And I would not address her like one.

But we're online, and this is an exchange between one person who understands power and wealth and one who wanted power to be reserved for a smaller demo than the wealthy. That's not what he really wanted, we both know that, but he sees fit to use this case as his example of a murderer. Every time someone brings up OJ without bringing up the factors that played a role in his acquittal, it makes me wonder about that person, which is more important than whether OJ is the killer or not.

You know what?

I'm just the guy who didn't spend too much time wondering why a rich man got a rich man's justice.

You all, OTOH, are still assuming he's culpable. That's that smug "I know because I say so" White boy shit. Based on that alone, we'll agree to disagree on whether my take is as shitty as yours.

9. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Typo or Freudian slip?
    2. If any of y’all wanna know how hotep followers think, read his post.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I don't think means what you think it does.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm kinda giddy at the idea of followers, tho. It's nice to be so highly regarded..

12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    #4612 rslfanboy, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    You can dismiss this as a whiteboy thing, but he was found liable for the deaths of Goldman and Brown in a civil trial, (not the criminal trial that’s been discussed) and the families were awarded millions of dollars. OJ spent the rest of his life doing whatever he could to avoid paying out the terms of the settlement to the families.

This is not dissimilar to what Trump is doing now.

I’m not “wondering” anything. I’m upset about rich man’s justice. You waving it away because he is Black and yelling at me for being upset about it is ridiculous to me. Especially since he wrote and sold a book titled “If I did it.”

Ymmv.

EDIT: Also, I was in 8th grade when the verdict came down. I knew OJ a bit from football, but mainly as Nordberg from The Naked Gun movies, which I loved. I never followed the trial and certainly had no real understanding of all the racial undertones to the trial. It had always been in the zeitgeist with Bronco and Judge Ito jokes, continued media coverage of him that I would stumble upon (definitely not seek out), stories of him getting arrested for whatever or launching some weird TV show, or whatever nonsense. My main knowledge of the murder and trial comes from that HBO miniseries. I haven’t read any books. I just generally pay attention.

It is so weird to me that you, who has intentionally avoided paying any attention to the whole trial, has such a strong opinion to berate others for what they might find interesting/infuriating about the whole thing. Why don’t you just continue on saying you don’t know and don’t care? Why stick your foot in and get upset?

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He was my boss at County NatWest in London in 1990.

Might be a different Mike Webster of course.

Val1 repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Look what happened to this guy after a couple of hits! :confused:

upload_2024-4-14_22-7-52.jpeg

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I knew about the civil trial. I'm on the fence about those even tho it worked out v. Trump.

I'd do the same if I were Trump and owed money I didn't have. So would you.
    I don't expect OJ The Actual Killer to just give the money to them, and I sure as hell don't expect OJ Who Ain't Killed No Damn Body to do it.

I've never really been upset about rich man's justice because 1) it isn't going away and 2) wealth is attainable and desirable. I've concerned myself with White man's justice for most of my life. Until OJ walked, there was no reason for me to think being rich would make any difference.

There's never been a moment in my life where I believed the shit some of y'all seem to take for granted about this country, and I sometimes think, "No, there's no way they could be this naive" when I see the disillusionment in some of your (royal you) posts.

I'll say this as well: If I were OJ, the completely different treatment (than White rapbeaters like John Gotti and Claus Von Bulow) I've received since that acquittal might make me respond by writing a book like that. Maybe even if I was the killer ("people buy drinks for John Gotti and I get spat on on the golf course"), absolutely if I wasn't. WTF? Nobody believes me anyway.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Him and Ed Marinaro were full-time actors. I can't OTTOMH come up with anyone else who transitioned from athletics to full-time acting.

I remember when Phil Collins was on Miami Vice in an actual criminal (not a cameo) role.

17. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    #4617 roby, Apr 15, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Fred Dryer....Giants and Rams..13 yrs.

upload_2024-4-14_23-2-50.jpeg

Jim Brown appeared in quite a few films. There weren't many dry eyes when he was shot in the back after dropping grenades down an air shaft in The Dirty Dozen. :cry: God...I loved that movie!

FormerGermanGuy, chaski and roadkit repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, OJ is definitely the weirdest hill you decided to die on.

ElNaranja, roadkit, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  19. cliche_guevara

cliche_guevara Member+

Jun 1, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    No amount of time will ever un-scar from Unsolved Mysteries.

20. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His parents didn’t raise him well. He thinks two wrongs make a right.

21. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about The Rock!

I guess we aren’t talking about guys like Ed O’Neill and Terry Crews who were very fringey pros.

Mike Warren played with Lew Alcindor at UCLA and was on Hill Street Blues. A different Mike Warren went to my high school and is the guy Jim Valvano ended up hugging in that famous clip. And yet another Mike Warren was a pitcher in the majors.

Merlin Olsen was in Little House on the Prairie

22. superdave

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny Weissmuller was Tarzan

23. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linemen are most succeptible to CTE. They bang heads almost every snap and it becomes cumulative trauma.

superdave, Auriaprottu and charlie15 repped this.
  24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not about OJ at all. That's why I didn't watch the trial. YOU are supposed to be smarter than to think it was about OJ.

25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Beverly LaHaye, founder of the evangelical group Concerned Women for America, has finally died. She was infamous for fighting against the Equal Rights Amendment for women, against gay rights, etc. You might remember her husband as the writer of the Left Behind series.

Good riddance.

roadkit, Mike03, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.