RIP Bill Nicholson

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sendorange, Oct 23, 2004.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bill Nicholson served Tottenham Hotspur FC for more than 60 years as a player, coach, manager and scout.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...pid=8&CLID=6&lid=&title=Nicholson+passes+away

Tottenham's legendary manager Bill Nicholson has died at the age of 84.

Nicholson is an iconic figure for Spurs after leading the club to a league and cup double in 1961.

Tottenham successfully defended the FA Cup the year afterwards, and enjoyed triumph on the continent when they won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1964 and the Uefa Cup in 1972.

Nicholson also picked up two League Cup wins and a third FA Cup victory in his tenure.

In his playing career, Nicholson started at White Hart Lane in 1936, and helped the club to back-to-back Division Two and Division One titles after the war.

He took charge in October 1958 and stayed at the helm for 16 years until stepping down in 1974.

Nicholson died in a Hertfordshire hospital after a lengthy illness.

2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    R.I.P Bill

we will never forget you

:( :( :(

3. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    ******** man, I didn't need to wake up to this today.

RIP Bill Nick

4. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    It was very sad at the Lane today, all the old players were their talking about him & the tribute on the big screen really was sad. Just before the 1st Bolton goal went in was very special, the song going round the stadium was 'Stand up for Billy Nic' then the whole stadium started clapping, brilliant ,then Bolton scored to spoil it

RIP Bill Nic

5. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    All of the above. The canny Yorkshireman will be missed. Above all, a genial, polite, and down-to-earth man: he cared about Spurs and its success, not about stroking his own ego.

I was about six years old when Spurs picked me to be a supporter. There was a magic about the team, the style of play, the fans, and the club as a whole. There were more successful sides out there at the time, but I had no choice: Spurs it was.

Although I wouldn't have expressed it this way at the time, it was because of Bill Nicholson. After all, it was he who moulded the team that created the scintillating, stylish football that proved irresistible to me.

Bill grew the club from a largely locally supported side to a team followed by many thousands from other regions of the country. Further, during his reign, Tottenham Hotspur became a familiar and respected name among football fans worldwide.

How we could do with a man of his stature in this new century. Thanks Bill: now I'm stuck supporting Spurs for life, with all that that entails!

6. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Should be Sir Bill but now that isn't going to happen :mad:

7. LedleybetterthanSol

Jun 16, 2004
    Gold Coast/Australia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  8. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great loss for soccer. One of a generation of great English managers that created so much of what the game has become.

9. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    He should have been knighted IMHO. By a long shot the best manager we've ever had.

May God rest his soul.

10. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Trolling on a RIP thread? Now your being a twat, and it won't happen again.

11. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    RIP Bill, thanks a lot for all the great work you've done.

12. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I was at a wedding all day yesterday so found this out late but RIP Bill. A true legend.

13. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    I had been just reading the latest issue of 442 talking about that "double" season and the event they had held for Bill Nicholson. It was startling to hear the next day, he passed away. Although I wasn't around 1960-61, I have come to respect Spurs football for what it is : stylish, one-time ball, with a rhythm all it's own. To think that his legacy left a mark on players :Ardilles, Villa, Hoddle, Mabbutt, Lineker, Gascoigne, is one that's gotta stand out from the English game. Its hard to get that back nowadays, but what a shame it's representative had to go.....Rest in Peace Bill.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Some quotes from people in football

Terry Venables:
    "I was asked if the current Arsenal team was the best I had ever seen - I said no, Spurs in 1961 were even better"

Sir Bobby Robson:
    "He was not only one of our great football managers but also one of our great coaches. Solid, honest & totally reliable"

Glenn Hoddle:
    "He was Mr Tottenham, the cornerstone of this great club"

Cliff Jones:
    "I am amazed he wasn't given a knighthood...but did so much for the game and the community." "He always told us to remember the fans"

Gary Mabbutt:
    "He was respected not just for what he achieved, but also for the way he had done it"

Alan Mullery:
    "He was a genius-up there with Shankly, Stein & Paisley"

Jimmy Greaves:
    "Bill was one of the greatest blokes, if not the greatest, that i've ever worked for. He firmly believed we should be paying for playing for Spurs"

Steve Perryman:
    "The main reason i signed for Spurs was the honest approach of Bill"

Dave Mackay:
    "He was a pefect gentleman. I've already cried today"

Joe Kinnear:
    "I had 12 years as a Tottenham player under Bill Nicholson and could not have wished to play for a better manager"

David Pleat:
    "Who will ever forget his push and run Spurs side? None of us who were lucky enough to see them will ever forget them."

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He was the greatest ever Spur.

A true legend who will be missed by all football fans.

RIP

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Slightly off topic, but hasn't Pleat lost it slightly here?

It was Arthur Rowe's push and run team in 1951, not Bill Nick's in 1961. In fairness Bill did play in the 1951 team, but I don't think it is for his playing career that he has gained so many plaudits.

17. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    http://www.topspurs.com/

Check this site out, i dont know how long this site will be a tribute to Bill Nicholson because it was originally a site packed out with Tottenham stuff but this is very impressive

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

Brought a tear to my eye.

19. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Who is trolling?! :confused:

20. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also a link to sign the book of condolences.

21. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Double 'Doubled' his post because he was making stupid inappropriate comments in a RIP thread. This is why The Double is loved and worshipped in equal measure by those who come across him in their travels through the lands of bigsoccer. All hail our lord.