Riot @ Avellino - Napoli Serie B match

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Treetaliano, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Yesterday night, before this match, a Napoli fan fell off of the upper deck balcony, and 20 meters to the level below. He's is in very serious condition and according to the TV the kid is going to die.

Anyways the Napoli fans got furious that the emergency teams, ambulances and what have you took their sweet time arriving on the scene, and as a result totally invaded the pitch, cause a riot, tore down the goal posts, assaulted Avellino fans etc.

The match was obviously abandoned

Ugly ugly scene.

here is the article from la gazzetta

http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/2003/pp_1.0.163599051.shtml

however, it does no justice to the scene...you should see it on TV

2. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    this just got better.

one of the policemen (carabinieri) who was on the pitch fighting off the fans, suffered a heart attack during the melee, and has died.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Photo from the match:

[​IMG]

4. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    The police officer has not died; while he was lying however he was beaten furiously by the Napoli "supporters"

5. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Il campionato piu' bello del mondo

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Just going on what MediaSet reported

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Not to belittle this awful incident, but that statement, I believe, is used wrt Serie A, right? I don't think anybody's EVER said those words about Serie B!

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the highlights on 90to Minuto.

Holy Smokes!!!!!! That just looked so scary. Damn, what's with these "fans".

I'm ashamed to wear my Napoli shirt now. :(

(BTW, who's the new host of 90to minuto?)

9. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I know, I just felt like saying it. After all, similar crap has happened in Serie A, too.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Worst thing is that this happened to be the week they chose to make up the first round of games, so teams are returning to action tonight. And to make things worse, one of the games is Verona-Napoli, two of the most notorious sets of fans. I imagine there will be a large security presence at the games tonight.

11. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Gazzetta (http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/2003/pp_1.0.166232647.shtml) is expecting that the game will be declared a 3-0 loss for Napoli, and they will be required to play their next 5 home games behind closed doors and away from the San Paolo. I think it also says that charges for some rough equivalent of negligent homicide (my legal Italian is more than a little shakey) will be brought against 3 people in Avellino, including an employee of the team and what must be the head of security for the stadium.

That must have been a much larger crowd than they were used to (Avellino apparently won promotion from C1 last May). Is that seen as being part of what happened?

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Avellino had a long stretch in Serie A in the late 70s and 80s and have a decent-sized stadium (capacity 38000). However, the last time they were even as high as B was 1995. Last season, in a successful promotion campaign, they led Serie C1 with an average attendance of 8435 (max 25000). The year before that was probably more typical, with an avg attendance of around 4000.

Avellino and Napoli are in the same region - hence, it was a derby game. Just piecing things together, it seems like the home team was completely unprepared for the glut of travelling Napoli fans. Apparently, some of these fans - unable to get into the game - charged through the police barrier to get in. It's not clear if the kid who fell was in this group or not (supposedly, this was only his second ever trip to an away game). At any rate, for whatever reason, the Napoli fans felt that help was not quick enough in arriving for their mortally-injured paisan', and that is what set off the riot. It also seems to me that the lack of preparedness by the stadium security is at least partially to blame.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Verona and Napoli played to a 1-1 tie tonight in Verona. From what I can understand, the Napoli fans "deserted" the stadium. Some 60 Napoli fans without tickets were refused admittance.

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    60 fans traveled all the way from Napoli to Verona without tickets? :rolleyes: What do you mean they deserted the stadium?

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I don't know what it means, that's why I put it in "". The little headline on teletext said "disertano", which I'm pretty sure means that. I'm JUST guessing it was one of these stunts where they go to the curve and then make a big show out of walking out. Have to watch the news later.

16. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    it means that most of napoli fans didn't go there and so it was empty ...a "desert" (hehe i guess)

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    That makes more sense, I guess. It's a pretty long trip for a Tuesday night game. Anyway, this practice of going to a game without tickets and just kind of barging in with the rest of the away fans. Is it common practice there? Sort of sounds like it.

18. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    yeah i think so...i just know that like 10 mins from the end they open the gates to let ppl leave but its kind of easy that someone enter in the stadium at that point or even in the players parking

19. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Lazio's Demetrio Albertini commented on fan riots yesterday, suggesting even a player strike...doubt it would ever get that far:

Albertini, councilman of the Players Soccer association, also has a proposal on how to fight the violence in the stadiums:

"In Italy the situation of the violence in the stadiums has become embarrassing, above all for who loves and practices this sport. Sincerely I do not know what type of position could be taken from the soccer player, because even us, like all of the rest, are awaiting facts from the Government. The stadiums at this point are considered from these pseudo tifosi like nobody's land. Perhaps, the only solution would be the one to stop ourselves and to strike, even if it would be a difficult situation ".

(Corrier Della Sera)

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Napoli has been penalized for the incident by being forced to play their next 5 home games away from the San Paolo stadium and no fans of the team will be admitted to the neutral sites. This is the same length as the penalty Torino suffered last season (although I don't think their fans were banned from travelling to the other stadiums).

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's ironic given that the first full Serie A matched that I watched on TLN was that Torino-AC Milan match.