Rio Olympics QF: US v Sweden, Aug 12, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 9, 2016.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously,I should've put "mainstream America" in quotes.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably was thinking pre-Centenario. But wait a minute, are you including attendance for games outside the US? Such as the Olympic games in Belo Horizonte? Why would you do that?

3. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    This thread started about the game and then quickly picked up steam over Solo's comments. While Hope Solo in no way, shape, or form enhanced the American reputation overseas, if these allegations against Lochte are true, what he did and said are a million times worse.

4. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I'm still trying to get my head around this story. What purpose does it serve to make up a story like that?! The whole thing is weird.

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, since someone brought it up I'll bite. They broke down the door of the gas station and got into it with the security and made fools of themselves. Mommy wanted to know what happened, and Lochte told her a lie, she took it as truth because you believe your own kids(even if they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed) and published it on facebook because she was disturbed by it. Lochte had been interviewed about it on the beach that day and didn't know what to do so he had to continue to lie to media. He got on a plane and left before his buddies, and threw them under the bus. Neither of these dumbnuts realized that there are security videos and phones that will reveal the truth in the coming days.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I blame Pia for the Lochte story.

7. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Not really, I think Pia probably has her team bunkered down in their hotel rooms prior to the German match. There's no way she'd let them go on the offensive and break down a gas station bathroom door.

8. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Do the games in the WWC last year get factored into the equation? You can't cherry pick statistics, and I know WWC attendances were factored in last year. I didn't do a separate calculation for the USWNT at home, but the USMNT attendance jumps to over 36,000 for home games. If I eyeball the Olympic attendances, it looks like the number would be about the same give or take a few hundred.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Below I've excluded away games but did include things like Gold Cup and tournament qualifiers:

USWNT home game attendance averages:
    2011: 11609
    2012: 16251
    2013: 16479
    2014: 10658
    2015: 27794
    2016: 15653

Those are not bad numbers at all and definitely higher than the 2005-2011 years, but compared to the MNT numbers (home game attendance):
    2011: 40333
    2012: 33210
    2013: 33803
    2014: 34374
    2015: 38764
    2016: couldn't find all the numbers...

sitruc repped this.
  10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The Brazilians have to be ecstatic. The attention to their shortcomings has been relegated to page 12 by the antics of Hope and Ryan Lochte.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Yes, but if it applies to both teams it gives the offense a HUGE advantage.

Think about what you would do if you were coaching.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It does?

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

lil_one repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Men home attendance in 2016:

1/31/16 vs. Iceland - 8,803 (ouch)
    2/05/16 vs. Canada - 9,274 (double ouch - that might be the worst run of two game in 20 years - note both were in Carson, CA)
    3/29/16 vs. Guatemala (WCQ) - 20,624
    5/25/16 vs. Ecuador - 9,893 (really??)
    5/28/16 vs. Bolivia - 8,894 (my goodness...)
    6/03/16 vs. Colombia (CA) - 67,439
    6/07/16 vs. Costa Rica (CA) - 39,642
    6/11/16 vs. Paraguay (CA) - 51,041
    6/16/16 vs. Ecuador (CA) - 47,322
    6/21/16 vs. Argentina (CA) - 70,858
    6/25/16 vs. Colombia (CA) - 29,041

That's an average of 32,985 for 11 matches.

So far on the schedule at home for the rest of the year:

9/06/16 vs. T&T (WCQ) in Jacksonville
    10/11/16 vs. New Zealand in Washington, D.C.

I don't see the average changing much.

I will say this is an unusual year because of Copa America, but it has ultimately led to a similar result as most other years, and I think the reason is that Camp Cupcake and the pre-Copa friendlies were massively overpriced (as was the Guatemala qualifier, from reports) AND the Copa itself was super over-priced, so people who ordinarily would go to as many as possible decided to concentrate on the Copa.

The pricing scheme is going to erode things in off years if they continue, though, since they won't have a Copa to bail them out numbers-wise. I hope they're not doing the same thing to the USWNT.

One thing is certain: USSF probably made out like bandits on the Copa. They probably brought in similar revenues to a 16-team World Cup even with the ridiculous pricing.

HouseofCards repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I have no idea where to get the TV ratings for the Olympic soccer tournament. I've found almost nothing.

16. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Men's home games this year (including Copa America) is over 36,284, and looks like I wasn't too far off on my eyeball average for the USWNT.

What Timon said!

17. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    There you go, thanks for double checking my math.

18. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Timon19 repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    kolabear repped this.
  20. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    For some reason I thought it was 2+, 3+, and 4+, but I overestimated.

21. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.85M from Jonathan Tannenwald at philly.com

Timon19 repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That sounds a bit disappointing.

So, the silver lining there is that in actuality, very few people saw it and were turned off by bunkering and PKs!

HouseofCards repped this.
  23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit disappointing but also bad time slot: 12noonET/9amPT. Or (really wishful thinking!) - more people watched it on the Soccer Specialty Channel, which neither NBC Sports nor SportsTVRatings have been announcing viewership figures for.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dear Cthulhu, that is a terrible slot. But not unprecedented, by any stretch.

I know that if I had watched it, it would have been on the Soccer channel. Take that for what it's worth.

25. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Seeing as how the Sweden game was viewed by less people than the France and Colombia games, do I get an apology?